• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

sourcing wire

Roguetek

I'm trying to find correct wire for replacing old/worn wires in a BMW wiring harness. Anyone happen to have a source for wire in the correct color codes and gauges?

I'd think of Motobins or Huckys spare parts for new wire or EBay, moa flea market or IBMWR for used a used wiring harness.

If you are looking for a single wire of a certain color & guage, try a forign car salvage.
BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Volkswagen.

Ken F

If you're blessed with a /5 or older, you can buy an entire wiring harness (engine, main & subframe) for around $150. You need to be aware that the actual gauge of the wire is slightly smaller than the 40+ year old stuff. /6 and later.... not so good; $650+

As mentioned, a fairly good source for "single" wires might be eBay; I frequently see wiring harnesses offered. The chances of the particular wire color you need being tact are probably pretty good.

I was specifically looking for the correct size and type, with correct color codes, I was going to roll my own.

Given the colors offerred by Las Vegas I'd conclude it's not really oem wire.

Good to remember that OE wire is not "gauge" sized but rather sized in millimeter cross section.

You need to be aware that the actual gauge of the wire is slightly smaller than the 40+ year old stuff.

Good to remember that OE wire is not "gauge" sized but rather sized in millimeter cross section.

+1 What Kent said.

I don't know who is making the "new" harnesses. The one I bought came from Bob's BMW and the diameter of the conductors is smaller than those in original harness.

edit - I didn't spend any time looking at those wire colors when I posted that. Most are not BMW related colors, others are not present at all (blue/red, red/green, etc.)

to clarify, it doesn't have to be an -exact- match.

It needs to be of equal thickness, or greater.

It needs to have the same color patterns, but not the same shade. so long as it's 'blue with a red stripe' the colors don't have to match the factory. The idea is that some other poor bastard can look at my work, look at a manual, and figure it out.

Napa

My local Napa has Arctic grade wire,flexable at any temp.and in many colors and sizes.IMO much better than the brittle stock wire.

I just spoke with John at Benchmark Works (yes, they are open on Mondays). They do not have, nor do they know of, a source for new, bulk, BMW OEM color-coded wire.

Rusty Gill (MAXBMW (NH store) guru) would be my next option, but they are closed on Mondays.

I know it's an "out there" suggestion, but just remember that ALL German vehicles use the same wire color coding, as it's the Bosch/DIN standard. Therefore a fairly high end restorer of Mercedes may have a wire source. Point being, just checking motorcycle sources is a bit limiting.

Given what lKchris said, perhaps an auto scrap yard with German vehicles in it would be worth a visit.:german

Rog,

Try www.britishwiring.com. They sell all color coded wire in various sizes. They sell by the meter and their prices are reasonable.

'Blackwire" syndrome is a problem with older bikes. As the strands corrode the current capacity is reduced. The best wire to use is marine grade. This wire has all the strands tinned to prevent corrosion in a wet environment.

When I redo a wiring loom I use a sheet of plywood to hold the work. I drill small holes on either side of the wire route and install wire ties to hold the wires in place. When done I use shrink tube to incase the wires. BMW terminals are available at Max BMW. They were on sale. Part number 61 13 1 362 369 is the hard black plastic one.

Looks like the Rhode Island folks have the right color codes. it might not be 'factory correct' but if I use this stuff, at least someone later who's looking for the "green wire with a yellow stripe" will be able to figure it out.

When you've farkled or otherwise made mods to your wiring, it can be hard to remember what you did many months later. So. . the guy who you are helping to figure out what you did will most likely be YOU!
I use colored electrical tape and code plain colored wire, after installation, at strategic spots with the correct colors. Remember to update your Clymers wiring diagram also. . that will speed up any troubleshooting if something goes dark.

I have...4 bikes. All of which have extremely ratty harnesses. Having coonfingered one of the new 'replacement' harnesses, I wouldn't put one on a chinese scooter. They're horrible. So, I'm going to have to make my own. Which is why I was so insistant about 'correct color codes.'

Should be interesting.

Back