• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cortech tankbag to BMW mount

I got a stock BMW tankbag with my used '09 1200RT, the map case was yellowed, and the main zipper broke. I like the BMW mount and thought maybe I could put a different bag on it. I stopped at a motorcycle shop looking for possible unit, I found a Cortech 12L tankbag marked down to $50 because it had no harness straps. I know it is not huge like the BMW bag, but I have top box and panniers. I wasn't looking for large amount of storage, just a handy place to keep frequently used things.
Cortech 12L.jpg
Bingo, it sat on the stock mount pretty good. I cut all the buckles off the bag. Made a pattern of the floor of the bag out of posterboard, when I was happy with that pattern, I transferred it to some black plastic sheet. 
pattern.jpgplastic sheet.jpg
I heated the sheet and formed it to the curve of the stock mount. I drilled the holes, attaching the plastic to base working from one end to the other. 
plastic bolted.jpg
Next I removed the plastic, placed it in the bottom of the tank bag and used an awl to poke through the tankbag and the plastic sheet. I used some #6-32 x 3/4" stainless screws with nylon lock nuts. When I got it tightened up I trimmed the excess length with a Dremel.
attached to base.jpg
I cut the stitching loose from the pad that normally goes under a strap on bag. I used the thin pad that was inside, and glued it to the black plastic to smooth and pad the bumps from the nuts. I then used a piece of the rubber gripper material from the bottom of the pad to line the inside of the tank bag.
lining.jpg
(disclaimer: use caution with hot glue. I did manage to get it on my fingers a couple times :mad:)
I think it came out pretty good. It may have the added feature of adjusting the windshield at full lock left turns.

That's awesome. Exactly what I was looking to do as my map panel has yellowed significantly also. Post a picture of that one mounted to the bike if you can.

Ok got a couple pics taken of the bag on the bike. It does contact the handlebars on full lock turns. It doesn't honk the horn, but it does lower the windshield on full left.
099c95b4e9346b2a47f57f6c7c7fda23.jpg
ae72ae04e664b045db2d9b2eeba2c2ed.jpg
ef3d143c8270a6d32d56f6ca45721040.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That's awesome. As soon as I can stash away money that the wife doesn't know about I'll be getting one of those! Thanks for the pics!!!

Very nice job and the style of the bag really suit the bike. Thank you for posting since a lot of original owners of the bag that we got ten years ago are facing similar issues as yourself.

Back