• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

R65 High Idle After Backfire

grover1949

A few days ago, my '83 R65 backfired twice through the right carb while I was trying to start it. I added more choke and it fired and ran nicely... except: Now, after about 20-30 minutes of riding, when the engine is hot, it doesn't want to settle down to a regular idle. If I am slowing or stopping, the bike will hold its RPM when the clutch is in, even if the throttle is closed. If I downshift and let the brakes bring the engine below 2,000 RPM, I can pull in the clutch and the engine will settle down to its normal (800-900RPM) idle. Upshifting is fun, because when I accelerate and pull in the clutch for an upshift, the engine stays at the RPM it was at in the lower gear until I let the clutch out.

The Bing carbs were re-built about 400 miles ago by Re-Psycle in Lithopolis, Ohio and up until the backfire there were no problems.

Could the backfiring have stretched a diaphragm or messed anything else up? Any and all ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Larry

I would suspect your backfire cause an air leak someplace in the right carburetor or intake. The first place I would look is at the enricher as the gasket may have been damaged. I would also check to make sure there is no leaks around the coupling between the carburetor and head. Spray that area with WD40 when running and see if the idle changes. You can do the same around the enricher to check for an air leak.

I would not suspect a diaphragm problem unless you had an issue with acceleration.

Sounds to me like your not so "bulletproof" Hall sensor is going bye-bye. My R65 did this too. Sensor failing due to heat, plus sticky advance mechanism. Bike ultimately stranded me.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks Gents,
I've checked the carb connections, etc and they look good. I found a how-to for removing, disassembling, cleaning, checking, and rebuilding the ignition canister. I hope to get a look at that over the Labor Day weekend. The idea of a sticky mechanical advance sounds good, especially since slowing the engine by braking gets the idle to drop.
Thanks again for the input.

Larry

Back