• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F800ST Riding Position?

samuelh

Can any owners comment on the riding position of the F800ST, over something like a series of 500 mile days? I currently ride a G650GS which is very comfortable, but I'm thinking about the F800ST as my next bike in a year or two, mostly for the power upgrade and the belt drive.

Thanks
Sam :bikes

Your hands will be a couple of inches forward and a couple of inches lower than on the GS. Depending on the length of your arms your back is likely to be in a bit of a forward lean.

The skelatal structure of the spine will have less upright stresses but the muscles in your lower back will be used more and will need some conditioning.

The real rest will be whether the forward lean causes you to need to lift your chin and whether the skelatal structure and neck muscles will take this or not over a prolonged period of time. Voni's will. I get "stingers" in my neck.

When I had my F650GS in the shop for service, I had an 800ST as a loaner for a week.

I am 5'5". While the ST was a fun bike to ride, I found that after 100 miles, the riding position was taking a toll on my knees. By the end of only a 200 mile day, I was popping Advil and miserable. I did not like the riding position and could never have managed a long trip on the ST.

My two pence.

That ergo site is terrific. It says I have about a 20 degree forward lean on my F800ST and that sounds about right. 500 mile days are not a problem. I can see where the knee angle could be a problem for some folks.

I went to the dealership today... They had an F800ST, an F650GS, and a R1200GS low. The three bikes that I am most interested in! I got to sit on them all, and for my money, the R1200GS is the ticket. I rode a regular height version of this bike a few months ago, and thought in general that the bike felt huge and unwieldy. (I'm 5'10" with a 27" inseam) However, sitting on the low version, it felt perfect for me. I was flat footed, and could throw the bike from side to side without it feeling huge.

With the 1200GSL this comfortable, there isn't a lot of reason for me to consider moving from my G650GS to an F650GS. (If I was buying the bike all over again, I probably would consider buying the F650GS instead, but this was my first bike, so I wanted to take it real slow.)

The F800 ST is the bike I want to love, particularly for the fuel economy and the belt drive. Sitting on the bike, I could see that it was markedly more comfortable than the S1000RR I rode at a track day, but much less comfortable than my GS. This might be addressed by up and back risers, but it might not. I'm not that old, but the seating position of the GS just feels more to my liking. (This admittedly is sitting on the bike in the showroom, not on the chicane at the north end of Kelly Drive in philly, or some other 50+mph corner)

I guess my plan is to find an F800ST I can take for an extended test ride.. AZride.com rents them, as do a couple of other tour companies.

:dunno

I presently ride an 800S and probably will get an 800ST next time. I had an R1150R and an R1100RT befor this bike and for me the 800S is more comfortable. I have done a thousand mile day and over 900 and 800 and lots of over 600 mile days. I am 5'10'' tall and 165 pounds. We are all different and just need to find what works best.

(This admittedly is sitting on the bike in the showroom, not on the chicane at the north end of Kelly Drive in philly, or some other 50+mph corner)
:dunno

Samuel, where are you from? What dealer were you at?

There are much better roads out there just waiting for you!

Tracy,

I was at Montgomeryville Cycle Center in Hatfield. I'm from Philly (born here, raised in Ohio, back for school in 1995.)

They have a red 2010 R1200GSL demo bike that is just calling my name. This is all pretty stupid, as I just bought the G only about a year (and 13,000miles) ago.

I hate it when people log into the F650.com forums and put down the bike.. (it's not powerful enough, it's too small, the engine vibrates too much, the water pump is crap... give me a BREAK!) trying not to do that about the F800ST. Like I said, I really need to ride one for a couple of days to see how it suits me. The R1200GSL seemed pretty awesome, but I really like the concept of the 8st, if not the actual implementation. I'm a big whiner when it comes to comfort, but a 1200 might not be exactly right either, for the amount of city driving I do.

Really I just need to go read a book or something and stop looking at bikes I can't afford!

:laugh

S

Everyone has a different take on every bike. Try them all! Having ridden all three, I have to say, I loved my 650 GS (and wish I still had it!) however, I'm equally lovin' my 1200GS.

We are just south of you in DE. There are a few GS rides in the works and we are out most every weekend riding back roads in DE, PA, and MD. PM if you want to come out to play.

The more you ride, the better it gets.
Need to develop muscles and find your
position. Small changes in how you sit
will have large effects on comfort.
I've done 400 miles of Vermont/NY two-lanes
in a day pretty comfortably.
mXa

Fine for 5' 9"

My F800St low was delivered with, I believe to be, the lowest of three seats available from BMW. I like the low frame but the seat was awful. After only 100 miles I said "There is no way we will be able to make it from Orlando to Gillette on this seat." Changed to after market seat. Bike just fine now. (for my tastes.) I love the stock bars.
My wife and I are mid 70's and ride coast to coast once a year.

seat

I have a Corbin seat on a f800st, which I found for half price on the flea market. I really e:clapnjoy it. :clap

F800st riding position-comfort

I owned a 2008 F800ST model and liked everything about it with the exception of the low handlebars, which necessitated leaning way forward. I am 5'9" tall, which is average height for a male, but the short, cramped and leaning far-forward riding position caused back and leg/knee aches for me. The problem was solved by the excellent service department at BMW of Atlanta installing one-inch bar risers(can't remember brand of same) and required longer Speigel brake cable. I understand that an aftermarket foot-peg lowering kit is also available, which may help. Other than the initial required cramped riding position, never had any other issue with the F800ST. Loved the low-maintenance belt-drive. The F800 is a very safe, fun, smooth running, powerful-quick and reliable bike.
Happy Motor-Rad-ing!
Rebel Rider

Last edited:
I am 5'8" with 32" (I know - short upper half). Have about 25K on the bike. This included a couple of 600+ mile days as well as two ~ 3000 mile trips over 12 days with about 9 days of actual real riding. Several back to back 500 mile days.

Much of your comfort is a question of individual build and fitness and how you fit to the bike. For me the stock setup works fairly well though I am about to put SW-Motech barbacks to allow me to move back a bit in the seat. Still using the stock seat but use a Sheepskin cover on anything around 200+ miles.

Well, all I can say is I just traded in my new 2011 F 800 ST with only 500 miles on it because I was so uncomfortable. I loved the bike and say 20-30 years ago I would have been able to ride er all day. I AM NOT KNOCKING THE BIKE AT ALL, it was fun.
I am now the proud owner of a brand new 2010 F 650 GS twin which I find "perfect" Very Happy rider
Later,
Brad

I feel your pain Brad. I've had a F800ST for about 3 weeks and about 1200 miles. So far my knees are not very happy and my hands are numb from leaning so heavily on the bars. I am 58 years old. I am working on some mind games to distract me and trying to not lean on the bars. I'm going to try some grip padding before trying bar risers. Would hate to have to get rid of this beauty as it is a wonderful bike otherwise.
PEPE

Back