• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'09 K1200LT Anti Freeze

jchellgren

I have a 2009 K1200LT
I can not find anywhere in the manuals the type of anti freeze required for the engine cooling system.
I keep 3 different kinds for my cars. They don't interchange.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm too lazy to go down and get the owner's manual to check, but my Clymer manual says this: "BMW Antifreeze/Coolant or brand name nitrite free coolant". The footnote says it's ethylene glycol based and lists a number of things it includes. But more importantly to me, list the things it does not contain which are nitrates and phosphates.

Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant DEX-COOL is a universal engine coolant that incorporates patented organic acid corrosion inhibitor technology. This coolant meets both ASTM D 3306 for automotive service and ASTM D 4985 for heavy-duty diesel service. It is a nitrite-, nitrate-, phosphate-, silicate-, borate and amine-free formulation.

I was lazy and bought the BMW blue coolant. It's $22 for the gallon which will need to be mixed 50/50 or 40/60 depending on locale. I think compared to stuff you pick up, this isn't that much more consider the bottle will last 2 coolant changes.

I was lazy and bought the BMW blue coolant. It's $22 for the gallon which will need to be mixed 50/50 or 40/60 depending on locale. I think compared to stuff you pick up, this isn't that much more consider the bottle will last 2 coolant changes.

be sure to use distilled water.....don't have a BMW dealer locally, went to the Honda dealer bought theirs....already mixed, with no phosphates or nitrates.

I have a 2009 K1200LT
I can not find anywhere in the manuals the type of anti freeze required for the engine cooling system.
I keep 3 different kinds for my cars. They don't interchange.

Given the change interval on coolant cost for the coolant itself is pretty meaningless. I would recommend a coolant renewal every 3 years although opinions will certainly vary. Keep in mind ignoring coolant renewals for years and years will frequently introduce a problem when you do go to renew it.

There is a product by the name of "EngineIce" made by Cyclelogic Products Inc., - http://www.engineice.com/ . Probably aimed at crotch rockets primarily this is an excellent product to use in my opinion. Does cost more than any other coolant that I am familiar with but the stuff just plain works. No premixing involved. Just pour straight in out of the bottle.

Back