• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2017 XR rubber handlebar mount kitto fit 2016 XR

Has anyone heard anything about BMW offering the rubber handlebar mount on the 2017 S1200 XR in a kit to retro fit to a 2016 S1200 XR?

Has anyone heard anything about BMW offering the rubber handlebar mount on the 2017 S1200 XR in a kit to retro fit to a 2016 S1200 XR?

Is a rubber handlebar mount how BMW fixed the bar vibration problem?

That would be a S 1000 XR, considered a Hothead here:wave

I will move this over there soon

Had read in Bench Racing maybe about the upgraded damper/handlebar issue coming soon, nothing on a retrofit kit though

If a kit was available anytime soon, a dealer would be a good source for that info as mentioned. Just as other upgrades and spare parts often takes some time to get in the available parts chain.

The retrofit is available for 2015 and 2016 S1000XR. Part 11 on the triple handlebar/clamp/fork fiche of the manual diagram (softer rubber insert). You need to specify that your handlebars vibrate between 4000 and 5000 RPM to the dealer for it to be replaced. The part cost $3 and would take 30 minutes to do it yourself, if the dealer wants to charge you. Some dealers are doing it for free I heard in another forum. When mine goes in for service I would ask for the retrofit, as per comments it does improve the vibes.f If you have a 2015 or early 2016 mfg. bike you main also have to change part 14 (from a hard plastic to a softer rubber). Below link to parts diagram.

http://parts.motorcyclesofmiami.com/p/BMW__/Rubber-element--left/62909583/31428554473.html

I ordered the top and bottom bar rubbers - the specific parts for 17 are just the two bottom donuts but my bike has a late '15 build date and there is an update to the tops from '16. I just got shipping notice yesterday from Max in NH so I should have them Monday or Tuesday.

Posts on the UK XR forum indicate they are softer and do make a difference. My bike is not especially buzzy like some people have complained about - I don't even have aftermarket bar end weights installed. But, for $20 I figured I'd get the rubbers while I was ordering the parts to add the GS lock kit to my GPS prep and glom the shipping.

I'll report back once I have had them in for a while.

My dealer is installing the new rubber mounts at no charge to the customer. I had my XR fitted with the new mounts and the handlebar vibrations are gone! I can actually make out the images in my mirrors now. BMW is not doing this as a recall; the customer has to make a complaint to the dealer about the vibrations they are experiencing before the dealer can do the retrofit.

I'm buying a '16 demo bike (115 mi) this weekend and I asked that they install these parts prior to sale. I don't think they are going to get them in time so I may just get the parts from them when they come in and do it myself but they were going to do it for free.

BTW, I'm hearing no '17's in the states this year - mainly because of the glut of '16's leftover.

I got and installed the parts yesterday. I guess my bike is/was not as buzzy as some to start with since my mirrors were mostly clear and prolonged freeway isn't bothersome. I don't have bigger end weights or anything.

The install is quick and painless with a T-45, T-50, and a 15mm wrench. The new bushings are much softer than the originals but... for me there isn't any difference before/after that I can tell. It feels exactly the same. Which is fine... I only bought them because I was already ordering stuff and another couple bucks to try it out wasn't a big deal.

Maybe if you have a stong vibe these will help but I didn't and I still don't.

Back