• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Clattering Sound on my Slash 5

kentuvman

I still haven't pulled off the swing arm to look at my "U" joint but plan to - the weather's been so nice, I hate to take the R60/5 out of service right now.

I get a clattering sound if I take off suddenly - if I let clutch out gradually, no clatter.

When I replaced the clutch, the splines in the clutch were worn down - really worn down - the splines on the transmission input shaft looked to be okay. According to the odometer, the bike has 81k and the clutch seemed original when I replaced it - would 81k of wear & use cause the splines on the clutch to wear out? Thinking it would.

Could the diaphragm spring that I didn't replace be causing the noise? I've put on close to 1,000 miles and she really cruises nice - it's just when taking off suddenly.

Could a bad "U" joint cause all this? I guess I"ll just have to wait and see when I pull her apart.

If you are getting one loud clack, it's the final drive splines in the rear hub.

Clattering Sound - figured out (I think)

Just a quick update - after thinking this whole thing through, and talking with a James Strickland and Richard at Bench Mark Works, I've managed to connect the dots: When I went through the bike, this past winter, the clutch was shot. Besides the clutch being shot, the clutch splines were in very poor shape - I'd originally thought about sending the clutch to Southland for their process of beefing up the clutch, etc. but because the splines were so bad, and from the advice of a couple of you, I elected to purchase an OEM clutch. Even though the transmission output splines looked okay to me, there's some wear. The odometer says 80k but since the frame and engine are different numbers (I've discovered the frame is a LWB R75/5 and motor is R60/5), I'm really not sure about the mileage at all!

I now conclude, the clattering sound, which will occur when I let out the clutch quickly in first gear, is some slop between the transmission output shaft and the new clutch. In a perfect world, I'd either find a used tranny or get the splines repaired. I'm basically riding this bike locally around town so not worried about getting stuck in timbucktoo.

But at least I now know what's going on. Thanks for your help on this!

We're talking transmission input splines, right? I'm sure for some pretty coins, a good rebuilder can easily replace the input shaft and then make sure the rest of the gears/shafts/dogs are solid for a long running gearbox.

We're talking transmission input splines, right? I'm sure for some pretty coins, a good rebuilder can easily replace the input shaft and then make sure the rest of the gears/shafts/dogs are solid for a long running gearbox.

Hi Kurt,

I'm sure you're right - at this point, I'm going to enjoy riding her around town.

Back