• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Airhead handling, never good but can be better???HOW

mrtnfischer

Der Kaptain
Had about 6 airheads, after owing each for a year I sell them 'cause they do not handle well. Than I rode one that some one put some $ into shocks etc and it handled really well. He actually made a "GS" type out of it.

Has anyone had experience doing this shock and suspension that really works. My experience was only putting stiffer springs in the front and that really was a waste of money...

advise, to me , OH Airhead guru's. My new old R75/5 needs a body lift.

Can you describe what you didn't like about the handling? What did you want to be better?

I think one thing that is mentioned is to replace the top triple tree. Mentioned quite a bit on the Airhead email list is the Toaster Tan triple tree.

http://toastertan.com/top_brace/

Some assembly required!!

Do a good tune up / rebuild on the suspension and brakes and ride it within its limits. Personally I think old airheads ride great, not to 2020 standards, but that's not why we buy them. The best airhead in the handling and braking department was my 1995 r100r, much more like a modern bike with a mono shock and Brembo brakes, but we're talking 40 years of separation and technology. Good luck.

Last edited:
Get in touch with Tom Cutter, the proprietor of Rubber Chicken Racing Garage. Take his advice, spend money for the equipment (rear shocks, fork rebuild, fork top clamp, decent tires, etc.) he’s likely to recommend, and don’t spend money on handling “improvements” that he doesn’t put much stock in (progressive fork springs, stiction-inducing fork braces, frame braces, inexpensive shocks, etc.). There are, of course, limits on what can be achieved, and it won’t even cheap, but your bike can probably be better.

+2 on Cutter. My R100 was the best handling of my three airheads. I had a fork brace, San Jose billet top triple clamp, and Koni, now Ikon, shocks. I believe I had Progressive springs and did use 7.5 fork oil. After experience with the R90S, I would use RaceTech straight wound springs. I did like the Gold Valve Emulators on the S but would defer to Cutter on that. But fork springs to match your weight that don't dive like a stocker when braking is a big improvement. EBC pads are a big improvement; I would guess there are shoes that would improve braking on a /5.

Tune the chassis by servicing and adjusting the swing arm and steering head bearings and be sure your wheel bearings have proper pre-load. Tire air pressure is often overlooked as a source of handling problems. Billet top triple clamps stabilize the fork assembly and quality shocks correctly dampened for shaft drive keep the rear wheel planted and reduce squat which tends to mess with fork geometry which in turn messes up handling. A forgotten trick - when you put the front wheel back in place leave the axle nut and pinch bolts loose, take the bike off its center stand, take hold of the front brake and ‘vigorously’ bounce the front fork up and down three or four times. This aligns and positions the rollers with the races and releases any trapped stress in the wheel/slider assembly. Return the bike to its center stand and tighten the axle and pinch bolts to speck.

If you start with a monoshock, that helps. It comes with a better fork with a fork brace, Brembo front brakes, tubeless tires and a stronger frame. Adding the Race Tech cartridge emulators and springs improves the forks considerably. Mine also has a Ohlins rear shock.

Has anyone had experience doing this shock and suspension that really works. My experience was only putting stiffer springs in the front and that really was a waste of money...advise, to me , OH Airhead guru's.

Here's a list of things you can do to take the flex out of your "Gummikuhe" (as airheads are called in Germany) chassis.

Install:

.030 aluminum upper triple tree
quality aftermarket front springs and rear shocks
braced swingarm

With the thicker triple tree you won't need the fork brace, which simplifies the installation of the mods.

I had all of these on my R100RS and it was a stable, good handling machine, at any speed.

Have fun. :)

Last edited:
If you start with a monoshock ...

Yes, you're better off with a different bike rather than messing with the old ones.

The ST, G/S, GS, and R are the best handling Airheads. The '87-on RS and RT are good, too, as they essentially have K-bike suspension.

Yes, you're better off with a different bike rather than messing with the old ones.

The ST, G/S, GS, and R are the best handling Airheads. The '87-on RS and RT are good, too, as they essentially have K-bike suspension.

My 86 R80 has what appear to be the same forks and brakes as were on my 85 K100. I have been told that the 85 R bikes are the same.

A few years ago someone offered stiffening braces that bolted onto many airhead frames. That brace connected between the part of the frame close to the steering head and spanned down close to the swingarm pivot. Anyone know if that item is still offered? It may help for wannabe racers.

I've had several airheads in recent years- notably a R90/6 and a R75/5- and I really enjoyed those bikes. I did ride them hard. The main weakness I found was with the braking. The single disk on the R90 just barely had enough stopping power and could be taxed to its limit. I had a extra disk, fork lower and rotor from an R90S but never installed it.

Yeah, the stock airheads aren't track bikes. So what!? They are what they are but they still provide great enjoyment over a wide range of riding.

That's what they said about the Stanley Steamer. :wave

If you put 2020 handling expectations on an old Airhead you will be let down every time. I ride a 1976 R60/6 with a sidecar. I drive with 1976 expectations and just enjoy the he'll out of the rig. I'm approaching 100,000 miles and do a long tour every year. There is no perfect bike. Don't squander your time fretting about what your bike isn't. Soon enough you will be too old to ride. I just turned 70 and have been riding since 1966 with no regrets.

Airheads aren't for everyone but I like them, but then again, I don't expect modern performance from them either. I know what they are and they work for me, just like a slant 6 and a 3 speed on the column does too :). I know i sound like a Luddite, but I'm not really, i just like simple vehicles. cheers.

Perspective: I'm coming from a 2005 Yamaha FJR1300.

Here's the changes I made to my suspension during the rebuild of my 1980 R100T:
* Installed a new heavy duty San Jose BMW triple tree top plate.
* installed a BMW OEM fork brace.
* Pulled my forks off and sent them to Racetech for a complete rebuild/upgrade. Huge upgrade, and no more bottoming out!
* Installed new IKON 222 shocks.
* Installed new Michelin Pilot Activ. tires. Went with an oversized rear tire, 120/90H-18. Note: BMW makes a special axle spacer if you go with an oversized rear tire.

Bottomline: My bike seems to handle fine for a 40 year old bike built with technology probably from the 60's. I've got no complaints.

Had about 6 airheads, after owing each for a year I sell them 'cause they do not handle well. Than I rode one that some one put some $ into shocks etc and it handled really well. He actually made a "GS" type out of it.

Has anyone had experience doing this shock and suspension that really works. My experience was only putting stiffer springs in the front and that really was a waste of money...

advise, to me , OH Airhead guru's. My new old R75/5 needs a body lift.

Here's the changes I made to my suspension during the rebuild of my 1980 R100T:
* Installed a new heavy duty San Jose BMW triple tree top plate.
* installed a BMW OEM fork brace.
* Pulled my forks off and sent them to Racetech for a complete rebuild/upgrade. Huge upgrade, and no more bottoming out!
* Installed new IKON 222 shocks.
* Installed new Michelin Pilot Activ. tires. Went with an oversized rear tire, 120/90H-18. Note: BMW makes a special axle spacer if you go with an oversized rear tire.

Bottomline: My bike seems to handle fine for a 40 year old bike built with technology probably from the 60's. I've got no complaints.

"...seems to handle fine for a 40 year old bike...."

Airheads aren't for everyone but I like them, but then again, I don't expect modern performance from them either. I know what they are and they work for me, just like a slant 6 and a 3 speed on the column does too :). I know i sound like a Luddite, but I'm not really, i just like simple vehicles. cheers.

6-cylinder with a 3-speed column shift. I remember those ! Good analogy to the airheads!

Back