• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

04 R1150RT Final Drive Rebuild Options

2dflier

Hey all. I've had the RT since 62K. It now has 84K. A couple of weeks ago I found some play in the rear end. The dealer advised I bring in the crown gear for wheel bearing replacement. I don't know how reliable a check this is but I didn't detect any play in the bearing by pulling on the tapered bearing end of the gear and it seems to roll smoothly enough (spinning crown gear and nothing noticeable while riding or rotating the rear end before removing the wheel). I did find pivot bearing free play. The outboard pivot bearing was brinnelled and not rotating freely so I removed both and thought my trouble would be limited to just the pivot bearings.

Before reinstalling the crown gear I inspected the crown gear tapered roller bearing and found all the rollers damaged basically across the entire width and circumference of all rollers. The cup is also pitted in the bottom third or so. I don't know if the damage is spalling or roll over damage but it needs to be replaced. I'm on the 3rd or 4th FD fluid change since I've had the bike and in each case the mag plug only showed dark fine stuff, no sparklies. So I assume the bearings have been dieing a slow death.

The question is how should I proceed? If I could figure out how to remove the tapered cup from the housing can and should I just replace the bearing set? Can this bearing be replaced without reshimming? I'm assuming the tapered bearing shim (item 4) is primarily to set gear lash and the inner shim (item 2) sets preload. If initial preload is suspect in the bearing damage I'm guessing I should have the entire thing rebuilt correctly.

So can I replace the tapered bearing? If so how do I remove the cup from the housing?

If it should be rebuilt should I contact Mr Cutter or are their good options in the Raleigh area? Bombar's Beemers are in Durham but I know nothing about them.

Thanks much for the help.

Crown Gear Set.JPG

"If it should be rebuilt should I contact Mr Cutter or are their good options in the Raleigh area? Bombar's Beemers are in Durham but I know nothing about them."

Peter Bombar does good work and I wouldn't hesitate to bring it over to him.

Heat the housing and the cup comes out easily with a slide hammer and hook attachment. The bearing is inexpensive from a bearing house.
The big bearing is also removed/replaced easily. (BMW OE only with special C3 clearance)
Shimming should be checked - I use the solder method and have had zero issues.
Not a difficult job if you are comfortable with bearing replacement.

Heat the housing and the cup comes out easily with a slide hammer and hook attachment. The bearing is inexpensive from a bearing house.
The big bearing is also removed/replaced easily. (BMW OE only with special C3 clearance)
Shimming should be checked - I use the solder method and have had zero issues.
Not a difficult job if you are comfortable with bearing replacement.

Thank you for this and your help at ADV. I'm not familiar with the solder method but will research.

Thank you for this and your help at ADV. I'm not familiar with the solder method but will research.

I use 1mm solder in 4 places 90 deg apart held in place by grease, assemble/torque with no shims.
Open and measure all 4, add up figures and divide by 4 to split 'c' hairs
That gives you the baseline for calculating the shim(s) required.

From the manual: Preload:.......... 0.05...0.1 mm (0.0020 ... 0.0039 in)
Shim thicknesses are listed on the Max BMW fiche

Its not that difficult of a job, i actually did it while on the road. had bearing an seal with, fortunately it went down close to a buddies garage in gillett wyoming. his wife did not like the idea of me having the crown gear in the freezer and bearing in the oven. i got lucky i guess because i never checked the bearing preload, just assembled as it was, still going today. 33k miles later.

I use 1mm solder in 4 places 90 deg apart held in place by grease, assemble/torque with no shims.
Open and measure all 4, add up figures and divide by 4 to split 'c' hairs
That gives you the baseline for calculating the shim(s) required.

From the manual: Preload:.......... 0.05...0.1 mm (0.0020 ... 0.0039 in)
Shim thicknesses are listed on the Max BMW fiche

Appreciate the help, especially the preload specs. I have the Haynes manual, which simply says this job is much too difficult for anyone not named Deiter.

Should the crown tapered bearing be a press fit or is a slip fit okay?

I've seen images of a bearing puller being used to remove the crown tapered bearing and talk of freezing crown gears and heating bearings to install. Mine is a slip fit.

Thanks

Should the crown tapered bearing be a press fit or is a slip fit okay?

I've seen images of a bearing puller being used to remove the crown tapered bearing and talk of freezing crown gears and heating bearings to install. Mine is a slip fit.

Thanks

It has not spun has it?
If you are worried about it, apply a bit of blue loctite to the surface

No. It hasn't spun and seems to fit well enough. If it wasn't wet I may not be able to slide if off. I was just curious if the preload setting assumed an interference fit. Thank you.

Just as long as the bearing cup and cone are bottomed you are good to go.

So, can one of you answer a question for a total bearing n00b?

I think of "preload" as a measure of force, as with springs and shocks. What is preload as applied to fitting a bearing? Where/how is it measured?

Back