• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1600 general inquiry

flhfxd

Been riding Harleys for 30 years. I will continue to do so. But I bought myself a low mile, used, 2000 R1100RT this past June as I'd always been curious about that bike and the brand. I really like it. I just might keep it.
But.....I like to do long haul interslab riding in order to get to far away destinations. So I'm curious about the K1600 and it's ability to sustain long distance, high speed riding. I'd mostly be riding solo until the wife joins up (she usually fly's in to a convenient airport and I pick her up). I am also looking at the Honda GoldWing F6B as another 6 cylinder mileage killer. I realize this post could go into one of the the K bike threads but I wanted to start here first.
Thanks for your comments.

Hey bstark, still raining on the "Wetcoast"? Ha.. Thx for the reply. I enjoy reading the convert testimonials and I understand what guys are reporting. I will definitely keep my Harleys but I am tempted to add another bike to the garage, namely the K1600, or as previously mentioned, it might turn out to be the Honda GL1800 F6B. Do you know if the K can manage 100 mph on the freeway for long stretches? Any idea what the fuel burn would be at this pace?

Hey bstark, still raining on the "Wetcoast"? Ha.....

Um, Golden, BC is about 700 km from "the coast" and doesn't get nearly as much rain as us poor sods in Vancouver do at this time of year. But thanks for the thought! :laugh

A buddy of mine has a 1600. Its certainly a mileage eater. According to him, "It'll do whatever you can do - and then some". Can it manage a steady 160 km/h? Easily. I'm a witness to it. What's the fuel consumption at that speed? High.

Um, Golden, BC is about 700 km from "the coast" and doesn't get nearly as much rain as us poor sods in Vancouver do at this time of year. But thanks for the thought! :laugh

A buddy of mine has a 1600. Its certainly a mileage eater. According to him, "It'll do whatever you can do - and then some". Can it manage a steady 160 km/h? Easily. I'm a witness to it. What's the fuel consumption at that speed? High.

My 1600gt at 75-80 mph riding solo with luggage averaged 40mpg US
If you have the right seat 500-700 miles a day is very doable
Same can be said RT's the seat makes the difference

My 1600gt at 75-80 mph riding solo with luggage averaged 40mpg US
If you have the right seat 500-700 miles a day is very doable
Same can be said RT's the seat makes the difference

Definatley, I could do (have done...) 800 miles / day on the RT but Momma don't like ridin on it. At all!
So next time I pick her up at an airport in the southern USA (next summer), I'd like to surprise her with an ultra smooth, non buzzing, or back teeth rattling, road sofa. I really appreciate the comments.

Been riding Harleys for 30 years. I will continue to do so. But I bought myself a low mile, used, 2000 R1100RT this past June as I'd always been curious about that bike and the brand. I really like it. I just might keep it.
But.....I like to do long haul interslab riding in order to get to far away destinations. So I'm curious about the K1600 and it's ability to sustain long distance, high speed riding. I'd mostly be riding solo until the wife joins up (she usually fly's in to a convenient airport and I pick her up). I am also looking at the Honda GoldWing F6B as another 6 cylinder mileage killer. I realize this post could go into one of the the K bike threads but I wanted to start here first.
Thanks for your comments.
About 6 weeks ago a did a 50cc ride, that is New York to San Francisco in under 50 hours, got there in under 43 hours, slept and rode home in three days. I'd say yes, the GT is the right tool for long hauls at high speeds for hours or days on end.

There was a review of the two bikes (Goldwing and GT1600) a while back in Motorcyclist magazine. Three riders, several day travels across many states over days. All three said that in the end, they all preferred the Goldwing for that type of riding. That said, the BMW, they also all agreed, was a more sporty, up to any challenge bike that had a lot going for it for someone who wanted more than a "rolling couch" type of bike. I have often considered going to a Goldwing, mainly for the superb passenger seat. But I keep my R1100RT. It's just such a practical, and pleasant bike. Personally I can't see the reason for the F6, just a stripped down Goldwing. They share an engine and drivetrain, that's about it. Most of the Goldwing creature comforts are gone, and those are the main reason to tolerate the excessive plastic, non-removable bags, and 1000 lb weight of the Wing. The K bikes are nice, probably more versatile than the Wing. Maybe more fun for some. But more expensive than Wings too. I wouldn't call them a good bargain money-wise, but then again, most BMWs aren't. Of course all of us here are devoted to ours. And MOA members are very supportive and helpful. Something to think about if you work on your bike, or travel a lot. Good luck.

Back