• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2012 R1200RT aftermarket exhaust questions

CaptRehkopf

I am just starting the hunt for an aftermarket exhaust, any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I do not want an exhaust that requires any modifications to the engine or it's management system.
Ride Safe,
Robert

What exactly do you want to accomplish?

A muffler change can alter sound but will not add any power change worth the cost. That takes programming and or metal work. What type of sound are you hunting?

What exactly do you want to accomplish?

A muffler change can alter sound but will not add any power change worth the cost. That takes programming and or metal work. What type of sound are you hunting?

I have Staintune on my other bike, but don't think I can afford that system right now. The problem is, as some as said, when I throttle up it sounds like a fart!
Ride Safe,
Robert

I am just starting the hunt for an aftermarket exhaust, any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I do not want an exhaust that requires any modifications to the engine or it's management system.
Ride Safe,
Robert

I have the Akrapovic slip-on on my 2011 and really like it.

I have Staintune on my other bike, but don't think I can afford that system right now. The problem is, as some as said, when I throttle up it sounds like a fart!
Ride Safe,
Robert
Make sure your throttle bodies are synced up. If they are not, you'll be amazed at the difference when you have it done.

Twins are farty. Ever heard an RC-51 coming down the track with a bunch of inline fours? Sounds like it is preparing for a colonoscopy.

SOMETwins are farty. Ever heard an RC-51 coming down the track with a bunch of inline fours? Sounds like it is preparing for a colonoscopy.

Fixed it, Ducati's are pure music, especially the air cooled 2 valve motors.

^^^ :thumb :nod

I'd go with Akro or check e-Bay, there is another RT slip on manufatured in Italy, that is considerably less expensive than Akro. Inasmuch that slip-ons only provide additional ear candy and not performance, I'd consider the e-Bay route...

GL,

B

Last edited:
You're pretty much limited to slipons with camheads, as you really don't want to remove the "flapper" in the OE header, as it's a performance improver.

THANKS a ton for all the advice. I'm glad to know there are options beside the Staintune that don't require engine mods.
I'm on the hunt for a good used slip on or system.
Ride Safe,
Robert

You're pretty much limited to slipons with camheads, as you really don't want to remove the "flapper" in the OE header, as it's a performance improver.
I have yet to find a good description of EXACTLY what that flapper valve does and when it is closed or open. I believe I can hear it open just after the engine starts but can't be sure. Can anyone offer a succinct summary?

I have yet to find a good description of EXACTLY what that flapper valve does and when it is closed or open. I believe I can hear it open just after the engine starts but can't be sure. Can anyone offer a succinct summary?

Here are the words from BMW Motorcycle Magazine issue 2/2008 when they tested the newly arrived HP2 Sport (the model that first had overhead cams and first had the flapper):

An exhaust flap in front of the muffler is actuated by an electronically controlled servo-motor via a cable. This constantly adjusts the internal diameter of the exhaust system to suit engine revs and ensures good low to mid-range performance for a linear output all the way to the rev limiter.

Think about it: the HP2 Sport.

It's not a milquetoast system.

This issue of this magazine, BTW, is from when it was a German publication, i.e. before takeover by our wonderful friend in Tucson.

The K1300S has it, too.

Back