• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Track Day Version II

LORAZEPAM

leave my monkey alone
I think Brad gave a great description of how the track day went, as far as instruction went, and how they set up the groups.

I think we were the only bikes there that were ridden to the track. I really wanted to ride with my nifty topcase attached, but I felt I needed every advantage to keep up with Brad and the other Beemer folks once we got started. If you notice in this picture, BMWRTgirl has passed Brad even before we hit the track, and this was certainly a preview of things to come

Attachments

• tracybrad1.jpg
    tracybrad1.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 94
The group I was in consisted of myself, my brother Dale, Dzimbric, and a guy on an R1. Our instructor was a LEO from a department in Michigan, and his bike had a shield from where he worked on the front. I think he liked our bikes, because when his hands got cold while waiting for our turn, we shared our heated grips, and he also was able to keep tabs on the time using our handy RID.

Attachments

• dalegaleinstructor1.jpg
    dalegaleinstructor1.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 90
The first laps were slow, as we learned the track, and were shown the line that would work the best. I was anxious to turn up the wick, and get to know my bike in a way that you just can't do on the street. It didn't take long for our instructor to feel we were able to pick up the pace, and as we did, the track became much more challenging. Dzimbric, my brother, and myself really didn't have trouble keeping up with the guy on the R1 on most of the track, but he had us on the straights, just by virtue of sheer horsepower.

Attachments

• daleturn11.jpg
    daleturn11.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 88
I guess I was the only one from the group that didn't scrape anything the whole day, but I did use almost the whole tire, just about 1/16th inch of "chicken strip" was left when we finished for the day. Brad was passed early and often, but he didn't make it easy what with all the sparks and asphalt flying in his wake.

Attachments

• galenosparks1.jpg
    galenosparks1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 85
Towards the end of the day, I was thanking my higher power and BMW for the awesome brakes on my R/RS. I never imagined I could remove speed that would have taken me well off the track as I approached the turns, and still left me somewhat in control.

Attachments

• galeturn11.jpg
    galeturn11.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 82
BMWRTgirl didn't bring her Beemer, but that beautiful TT600, which I was wishing I had a chance to take a lap on. She is an excellent rider, and there were very few women there that could match her speed.

Attachments

• tracyontt600.jpg
    tracyontt600.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 80
I would never have imagined that riding 90 miles could be so tiring. After we finished the day on the track, everyone went back to the motel and cleaned up for dinner, and awaited the arrival of Cliffy. After he got there, we had time for a quick picture before dinner.

Attachments

• hamptonlot.jpg
    hamptonlot.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 77
After we got to the restaurant and convinced the owners that Cliffy was safe to bring in, he finally negotiated a fair price with Dzimbric to let him sit with us at the table.

Attachments

• cliffy'spayoff.jpg
    cliffy'spayoff.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 72
Dinner was awesome, and so was the view from the Restaurant

Attachments

• lighthouseevening.jpg
    lighthouseevening.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 70
The next morning, BMWRTgirl, Gail and I decided to go see the lighthouse in the light of day. South Haven is a beautiful town, and I am planning on making a trip up there to get a better look this summer. (want to hook up and hang out Cliffy?)

Attachments

• southhavenlighthouse.jpg
    southhavenlighthouse.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 69
Then it was time to head to Holland MI for the tulip festival. The main festivities were held while we were on the track, but I could have spent the whole day Sunday taking pictures.

Attachments

• dutchgirl.jpg
    dutchgirl.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 63
The varieties and colors of tulips seemed endless, and the families there provided a chance to try some ideas for pictures.

Attachments

• babyintulips.jpg
    babyintulips.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 61
I wish I had the chance to post all but I will just share a couple

Attachments

• pinktulips.jpg
    pinktulips.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 70
All in all, I had a fantastic time, and it was well worth the time and money. I will definately be doing this again. I will also add that Donatello can ride the crap out of that GS.

Attachments

• inline1.jpg
    inline1.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 69
Most excellent report

It was worth the wait. Great shots - Holland sure is beautiful at tulip time. You jest lemme know the next time you are heading this way and I will meet up with you....(you guys are crazy).
Beemer brakes and heated grips rule.

This is a most excellent report!

billandted.jpg

So are you going to invite the rest of us up there as well?

I tell you we need to make a ride to Grand Rapids just so we can all visit Cliff and see his hens :p

Back