• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

High mileage GS

Looking for opinions/ experience with higher mileage hex head bikes.
Assuming proper maintenance has been preformed, what kind of reliability or remaining "life" can be reasonably expected from a 2007 r12gs with 88000 miles. I realize that it is impossible to predict what a single machine is capable of just trying to get a hint as to whether or not this bike is worth pursuing?:dunno

Looking for opinions/ experience with higher mileage hex head bikes.
Assuming proper maintenance has been preformed, what kind of reliability or remaining "life" can be reasonably expected from a 2007 r12gs with 88000 miles. I realize that it is impossible to predict what a single machine is capable of just trying to get a hint as to whether or not this bike is worth pursuing?:dunno

I don't think 88,000mi is considered high mileage for a Boxer engine.

My 07 RT has about 90,000 mi.
The engine still runs like new. I've seen some for sale with double this mileage.

The advantage of these bikes is that it's pretty easy to work on them (I do all my maintenance and I'm not a mechanic.)
Also, the 07 doesn't have the wizzy brakes (05-06) nor the dealer extortion light (08 +)

Check the Drive shaft U-joint for rust. Mine seized last June and did a lot of damage. ( Drive shaft and swing arm had to be replaced. I also killed my clutch trying to limp my way out of the Interstate...)

Everything is fixed now and I should be good for another 90,000 mi :dance

I think checking out the drive line if nothing else to lube the splines on both ends is a good idea. While you have the shaft out you can check the u joints to see if they are smooth and not notchy. I have almost 109000 on my 09 GSA and still going strong. If the bike you are looking at has been taken care of, has records, I don't think the mileage is that much of a concern. Of course depends on price too. Good luck with your decision!

Back