• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Msrp ?

Bradkap

I am looking at. 2013 R1200R

Dealer told me that while the side bags are included by BMW, the dealer has to take a hit on them and they therefore do not have room for movement off of MSRP ?

If I buy new what should I expect to pay ?

Are there any MOA discounts ?

Ask the dealer if he has to take a hit on parts when you need to purchase those to? I'd be happy to pay MSRP for my parts but it seems they all charge more for every part I've purchased in the past 7-8 yrs from a variety of dealers and in different states.:scratch

I would call a few other dealers and ask for prices on the same bike & setup. It can't hurt and if another dealer gives you a better price you can break it in on the way home!:) Also ask if they can toss anything in (helmet, gloves, t-shirt, discount for something)? Never hurts to ask but I wouldn't low ball as I hate folks doing that to me.

Best of luck on your bike hunting and purchase.

There is a $500 MOA club discount thru July 31.

There are plenty of dealers that will discount from MSRP, there just may not be one near you. Call around and find out.

There a lot of threads about negotiating the price on a new BMW. It seems current model year bikes usually go for list price. There are often monthly BMW promotions, such as the current one that adds a set of side cases to the R1200R at no charge. I've seen promotions reduce new bike prices by $1000, but only for prior year models. Sometimes you can save a bit if the dealer has a demo bike available for sale, but I don't think the demo bikes are eligible for the monthly promotions. You will probably have better luck negotiating a discount on other accessories, or a free 600mi service.

Based on 35 yrs in the automobile business [wholesale & retail] I do know that most incentives require dealer financial participation. It can be substantial. It's dealer choice if they will give further discount, usually based on availability. On my R1200R purchase 2 yrs ago I found that making a deal including a 20% discount on accessories at the time of the intial purchase worked. Dealer and buyer have to have a win/win situation. My most important part of any deal is my impression on how future service will be. You'll love the R1200R!

Not knowing where you're located limits suggestions. I can tell you Max BMW (3 locations) in New England will give you an excellent quote. I have no connection with them other than purchasing several bikes from them over the last 6 years. I live in Indiana and it is worth the trip to New York. Also, there are dealers in Chicago, Indy and Michigan that will deal below MSRP. Shop around and be willing to make a road trip for it...you may save hundreds or even a couple of thousand dollars...it is possible.

I just purchased a 2013 R1200RT with three quotes, those three quotes ranged from $1,000 off (plus the current MOA $750.00 rebate on RTs) to $2,500 off....BUT MIND YOU, I DID NOT WANT THE TANK BAG OR TRUNK CASE (current BMW promotion for that model)! Naturally, not wanting those options made a difference, but the $2,500 deal was certainly far better than the "free" options (in your case panniers). Of course, in some sense the RT is an outgoing model as new water head will be coming (but I'm not a first couple of years new model buyer when it comes to BMW). The R model has been around for a while and not their leading sales model, assume some dealer will give you a "good" quote. Good luck.

Last edited:
There a lot of threads about negotiating the price on a new BMW. It seems current model year bikes usually go for list price. There are often monthly BMW promotions, such as the current one that adds a set of side cases to the R1200R at no charge. I've seen promotions reduce new bike prices by $1000, but only for prior year models. Sometimes you can save a bit if the dealer has a demo bike available for sale, but I don't think the demo bikes are eligible for the monthly promotions. You will probably have better luck negotiating a discount on other accessories, or a free 600mi service.

Demo's are not part of an end-user promotion as you state. A dealer will get a discount in order to purchase a demo but there are rules associated with that purchase. I was witness to a few variances of the rules (model dependent) as stated by NA but basically they state the dealer is required to use the bike as a demo for "x" period of time and/or miles. Although the dealer will get a discount the demo is obviously going to have miles on it and therefore will typically become far more price negotiable from an end-user point of view. NA recognizes that fact and provides a discount to the dealer. Nothing huge but it reflects the drop in perceived value from an end-user point of view.

Considering the lower return BMW does have as a manufacturer from selling motorcycles in the U.S., I understand the dealers' predicament. The margins must be really small and hardly allow for discounts.
The motorcycles sell for less in the U.S. than they do in Germany, Dollar for Euro.
And unlike Harley Davidson dealers, BMW dealers do not have the opportunity to compensate by selling "lifestyle" merchandise.

I wouldn't classify wholesale to retail markup for BMW products as "really small"...they are ample. And no dealership stands on new bike (net) profits alone. An expected business plan has separate profit targets across the brand's product line. Plus, the bonus arrangement with BMWNA can be a pretty good incentive to get product out the door. If a dealer tells you he can't take $500.00 or more off the MSRP, even when there are additional manufacture supported incentives available....he's just saying he doesn't want to, for any number of reasonable reasons. One being sales are booming and he doesn't think he needs to discount to be competitive in the marketplace. Some dealers (one I mentioned in an earlier post) has a different business model and seeks to be a price leader. Anyway, there are different pricing (selling) arrangements out there....you just need to decide which fits your desires.

I wouldn't classify wholesale to retail markup for BMW products as "really small"...they are ample. And no dealership stands on new bike (net) profits alone. An expected business plan has separate profit targets across the brand's product line. Plus, the bonus arrangement with BMWNA can be a pretty good incentive to get product out the door. If a dealer tells you he can't take $500.00 or more off the MSRP, even when there are additional manufacture supported incentives available....he's just saying he doesn't want to, for any number of reasonable reasons. One being sales are booming and he doesn't think he needs to discount to be competitive in the marketplace. Some dealers (one I mentioned in an earlier post) has a different business model and seeks to be a price leader. Anyway, there are different pricing (selling) arrangements out there....you just need to decide which fits your desires.

As the consumer, your job is to get the best price to maximize the value of your income.

I wouldn't classify wholesale to retail markup for BMW products as "really small"...they are ample. .

Do you know that? Elaborate, please. What, for example, is the difference between dealer net and retail for a bike that's, let's say, has $15,000 MRSP.

When I bought an R1200R in 2009 I got 14% off MSRP as well as free luggage and mounts. I'm quite certain the dealer did not lose money on the deal.

Sorry, but no one, even the smartest of the smart here on this forum can definitively say "You should pay no more than $XX,XXX." Every deal is different, every buyer is different, and the same bike sold by the same dealer in August may very well be a different price as one sold in March.

Good advice to call a few dealers and ask. Good ones that I know of are- Max, (NY/CT/NH) Bob's,(MD) Morton's (VA) and Pandora (TENN).
But, having been in the new car business, NO ONE is going to go out of their way to give a phone shopper a great deal. Only when you are sitting across the desk from them is when they'll take you seriously as a potential buyer.

Also, dealer stock means a lot. Dealer "A" may have two RTs in stock and may not feel a need to give as deep a discount as Dealer "B" who has 11 in stock. I've been treated REALLY well and fairly by Pandoras and can't say enough good things about them..

When I bought an R1200R in 2009 I got 14% off MSRP as well as free luggage and mounts. I'm quite certain the dealer did not lose money on the deal.

It would be interesting to see what kinds of discounts other non-motorcycle industry's give to their customers. What does your mark-up schedule look like? Do you mark up enough in order to provide the ability to mark down and still be profitable? Would anyone here like to 'fess up as to how much their industry discounts? And, whether your industry typically provides for such things as health benefits? If you're a clothing company do your brand new arrivals appear on the shelf at maybe a 30% give or take profit margin? If sold at full list?

Let's here from some of the audience...

Another interesting point: Most people expect a discount off MSRP. Now if you have a product in high demand and no inventory to really back it up does it ever become worth more than MSRP?

Or, another good example: People who are spending a couple of hundred dollars at the counter will sometimes ask for a discount because it's a "big sale". Do you ask for a discount when you purchase groceries at your favorite store and the tab ends up at $200 or $300 and more? After all the level of service at your typical grocery store leaves something to be desired. Meanwhile the guy at the brick & mortar motorcycle store who is providing good service and can't match an internet price suddenly sucks and/or is a ripoff.

Do you know that? Elaborate, please. What, for example, is the difference between dealer net and retail for a bike that's, let's say, has $15,000 MRSP.

I think you've already been provided some pretty accurate numbers by Billy and others. I've been retired for a while, but sold BMW bikes part time a few years back. I ordered our inventory and pretty much sold all the BMWs from our multiple brand store. Then the typical margin was 14-17% (if I remember correctly) and there was also a bonus arrange that ran so much per unit. So then, a $20,000 RT provided a $3,000 (or better) gross profit if sold at MSRP. Again, additional bonus money could be added to this. There were also arrangements wherein NA supported sales, of usually out going MY or slow selling models, by allowing additional rebates to dealers (and sometimes announced as an incentive to the public). Demo bikes also came with yet more wholesale discounts, but they were usually required to be demo'ed until 2,000 to 3,000 miles were recorded.

This is why I say a $500.00 discount or more isn't going to break the dealers' bank...it's not can they do it, it's do they want to do it, for the most part. As has been stated, every deal is different...some people will pay MSRP if a "free" pair of gloves is thrown in and some people want to pay no more than $100.00 over wholesale with first service free!

I think best advice is ACT like you know what you're talking about when addressing the dealership..don't ask if something is possible, like: "Can you discount your price any?" Be direct and state: "'I'd be willing to pay $XX,XXX amount for that bike." If they ask where you got that figure tell them the truth, you've been shopping and know the product and marketplace..and don't say a lot more...the ball is now in their court. If they are interested in moving the "unit" you'll get a reasonable counter offer. If not, be willing to walk after thanking them for their time. And always do all with a high degree of calm confidence, which can quite often result in a call from the dealership next day.

Good advice from motodan. I've never recd less than $1300 off msrp on my 12GS's and the last one which is a 2012, I got $2900 off msrp. I've bought 8 of them starting in april of '04. The GS is lots more popular than the R. Find another dealer and remember they need to sell the moto/you don't need to buy it.

Another interesting point: Most people expect a discount off MSRP. Now if you have a product in high demand and no inventory to really back it up does it ever become worth more than MSRP?

At one point when VW Jettas were hot (2000, maybe) there was a "dealer mark-up" of $500-$1000 over MSRP added to every car. Every dealer. No negotiation. Same thing when the Mazda Miata hit the market, if I remember correctly.

Back