• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sore Butt and Knees

jeesley

I just did my first long ride (500 miles) on my 2018 R 1200RT. My knees got sore as they don't like to be bent more than 90 degrees and my butt got sore. I'm researching solutions but need help.

Welcome.

Look at the "similar threads" field at the bottom of the page, and you'll see other threads where this has been discussed.

I just did my first long ride (500 miles) on my 2018 R 1200RT. My knees got sore as they don't like to be bent more than 90 degrees and my butt got sore. I'm researching solutions but need help.

Welcome to the forum!
All common questions. As Rinty mentioned, there are threads at the bottom of the page.
I will move this to the Wethead section later.
Good luck.
Gary

Jeesley - Welcome to the BMW MOA Forums! Lots of information here for sure.

Many of us have been dealing with sore knees and butts. Generally, the sore knees discussion revolves around two things: 1) dropping the pegs (solutions from Suburban Machinery and Illium), and 2) medical, to include exercise (bicycle riding is a good start), injections (See one example here: https://www.synviscone.com), and surgical replacement (eep!).

The sore butt issue involves padding the seat, and replacing the seat. It's all anecdotal, or course, but Sargent, Corbin, Russell Day-Long are the main replacement options. Air-Hawk, Bead-Rider, etc. etc. are two of the padding alternatives.

Look around as Rinty suggests, and you'll see what's been tried and tested.

Have fun!

) medical, to include exercise (bicycle riding is a good start)...

Jeesley:

Particularly as we age, fitness becomes really critical for comfortable riding. Our machines and riding apparel have become so sophisticated that it's easy to lose sight of how rigorous an activity motorcycle riding actually is.

Another aspect is pacing. 500 miles is a pretty long ride. How often are you getting off the bike, how long are your breaks, and are you doing any walking around during those breaks?

As for seats, I have never experienced a comfortable BMW seat. However, the one on my new '18 RS seems to be better than the ones on my previous three boxer sport tourers. Getting an aftermarket seat that works is a process of trial and error. Everybody's butt structure is different.

Alaska sheep also works. Believe or not move your wallet from your back pocket to your coat pocket works too. These works for me.:thumb

Welcome to the forum, jessley. Nice to have you join us.

You will get lots of suggestions for your question, some with work, some won't. First, try the ones that don't cost much money (exercise and conditioning), before you move to the expensive ones (after-market saddles). Who knows, something suggested here might help. More likely, your body will adjust to your new bike and the problem will just go away.

Good luck.

It took me years to work up to 500 mile days, and more years to get to 1,000 mile days and the 11 day Iron Butt Rally. The OP didn't disclose how he built up to that painful 500 mile day. That may be the key.

More miles!

I had the same issues when I bought my RT, I run the stock seat, but add Beadriders, I like the air flow under my butt. I put on engine guards and highway pegs to stretch my legs.

Comfort has gotten better with more miles. I did one 500 mile and one 600 mile day this summer with no issues.

It took me years to work up to 500 mile days, and more years to get to 1,000 mile days and the 11 day Iron Butt Rally. The OP didn't disclose how he built up to that painful 500 mile day. That may be the key.

I have done quite a few 600 & 700 mile days without difficulty but I always smile when I remember one particular ride. I rode a series of back roads, dotted with stop signs and the odd red light. The ride began, at 7:30 am and my feet only touched the ground at the occasional intersection stop. At 12:30, I pulled in for gas. My right leg was totally unresponsive when I attempted to swing it over the seat. I had to drag it off the foot peg and over the seat. :hungover

Now I make a point of getting off every couple of hours or so. Rest breaks are important for long rides. Did the OP take enough breaks on his 500 mile ride?

For what it's worth I've heard that one should stop for gas, then one should stop for the bathroom, finally, one should stop for food. The idea is don't stop for all three at the same place. This forces one to take breaks from riding and stretch a bit more frequently.

Kinda funny, but I have been riding for years, but never many miles at a time. I went in whole hog in 2005. in 2006 I did a couple 700 mile days and a 1200 in 22 hours. I documented it to turn it into the IBA, but never did. I knew I could do it, and it was good enough for me. I have done an undocumented 1,500 miles in 36 hours too. Never felt the need for the patch and license plate frame. If you do, fine, I just never cared. Now the multiple long days add up on me fast. 3-4 500 miles days and I am shot for a few days!

My buddy and I have run from Fargo, down to the Ozarks and back in four days and around 2500 miles. As I get older the long days are getting tougher!

Another thing I do on long days is pop an ibuprofen in the morning, and maybe another one around noon. It helps take the dull the ache before it gets started. I don't wait until the kinks set in to take one, hit them before they show up.

Unfortunately I have also found that to be true. :)

I don't really remember numbers, as such i won't try to impress with any but. I do know this, when younger, I traveled many long,long enjoyable days. As i aged, I traveled fewer shorter,shorter enjoyable days. Now ?... I spend most days right here where i am. So my conclusion / advise ....... If you are young/younger, enjoy it while you can. The clock is running faster than you can even begin to imagine...........

I don't really remember numbers, as such i won't try to impress with any but. I do know this, when younger, I traveled many long,long enjoyable days. As i aged, I traveled fewer shorter,shorter enjoyable days. Now ?... I spend most days right here where i am. So my conclusion / advise ....... If you are young/younger, enjoy it while you can. The clock is running faster than you can even begin to imagine...........

Amen. Best advice: don't wait too long to take your motorcycle trip, or you will be too old, too sick or too dead.

Another thing I do on long days is pop an ibuprofen in the morning, and maybe another one around noon. It helps take the dull the ache before it gets started. I don't wait until the kinks set in to take one, hit them before they show up.
Doesn't taking pain killers make you drowsy and inattentive?

Doesn't taking pain killers make you drowsy and inattentive?

I never noticed it, it is not like I was taking enough to knock myself out. We are talking ibuprofen not oxycodone. I felt dealing with pain later in the day was much worse.

Kinda funny, but I have been riding for years, but never many miles at a time. I went in whole hog in 2005. in 2006 I did a couple 700 mile days and a 1200 in 22 hours. I documented it to turn it into the IBA, but never did. I knew I could do it, and it was good enough for me. I have done an undocumented 1,500 miles in 36 hours too. Never felt the need for the patch and license plate frame. If you do, fine, I just never cared. Now the multiple long days add up on me fast. 3-4 500 miles days and I am shot for a few days!

My buddy and I have run from Fargo, down to the Ozarks and back in four days and around 2500 miles. As I get older the long days are getting tougher!

I read your post with a smile. I was the same as you state, doing several 900 plus one day rides with never a thought to document or ride the last 30 or so miles for an iron butt plate, until some yahoo at a rally made a big stink about not citing iron butt statistics unless I had an iron butt license plate and certification to back my information up. So the next summer, 2018, I did a documented SS just so I could stick the plate in the yahoos puss..... Now I don't have to condition my fire side discussion with a disclaimer that I am undocumented. Wouldn't want to be undocumented in a crowd of rusty buckets....:):dance

Back