• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Pistol and Blades

brownie0486

I've been shooting pistols for 50 years. Got involved in the "games" for a decade or so back mid 80's-to mid 90's. Been a trainer for the last 15 since retiring back east where I carried a gun and sometimes two chasing BGs for a state Atty's. Generals criminal division. 1911's were the choice then, coupled with Sig 226's, Glocks and 5 shooter revos in the hot summer months.

Also have a penchant for the blades, was the adjunct defensive knife instructor for S+W's training division for several years. I prefer straight blades today, but carried folders for decades when working. We must have members who are into the shooting sports here, probably not as many that are into the blades.

Presently working a few days a week at a gun shop so I keep my hand in it a little longer. I carry both most days, What do you carry for either?

Sig line takes you to a you tube channel where you can watch some of the skills I trained others in until this last year, now I'm really retired.

Being a gun guy and partial to some blades i get the desire.
i am hoping that real discussion on various aspects of the shooting sports can be discussed.
I am a long range type myself and like to do the long range precision shooting.

Being a gun guy and partial to some blades i get the desire.
i am hoping that real discussion on various aspects of the shooting sports can be discussed.
I am a long range type myself and like to do the long range precision shooting.

Trained as a counter sniper at HK, Sterling Va. in 94. Lets discuss long range anytime. I'm more familiar with 308 ballistics than other calibers, bullet drop at various distances etc.

Trained as a counter sniper at HK, Sterling Va. in 94. Lets discuss long range anytime. I'm more familiar with 308 ballistics than other calibers, bullet drop at various distances etc.

Sweet...

I am partial to some good discussion on variations.
I own a Tiger Carbine and the Romanian PSL which seems at least for those two to be fairly accurate for being an E-Block bang stick.

I also have an 8mm Mauser K98 I modified with a Douglas BBL and shoots rather nicely I might add.

(Just dont have the high finances for a PSG1).

I dabble in it. I shot NRA Highpower for several years, and have been in and out of USPSA and IDPA for over 20 years. I’ve tried smallbore, silhouette, trap and others. Most recently, I’ve done F-class long range.
I work with/instruct for 4-H Shooting Sports, and two of us started a Youth Program at our conservation club not too long ago.
I’ve had training from Gunsite, YFA, and others.

Sweet...

I am partial to some good discussion on variations.
I own a Tiger Carbine and the Romanian PSL which seems at least for those two to be fairly accurate for being an E-Block bang stick.

I also have an 8mm Mauser K98 I modified with a Douglas BBL and shoots rather nicely I might add.

(Just dont have the high finances for a PSG1).

I tried HK's loaner PSG1 when there. Nice rifle, should have bought one before they went 12K and more now.

The E Block guns are more than capable of long range. My preferred semi is the M1a NM s/s set up with a Pride/Fowler 10x

I tried HK's loaner PSG1 when there. Nice rifle, should have bought one before they went 12K and more now.

The E Block guns are more than capable of long range. My preferred semi is the M1a NM s/s set up with a Pride/Fowler 10x

I had an M1A Armscorp in the early 90's. Has a lead filled stock and glass bedded free floated bbl.
THAT thing could shoot!

i put over 1100 rnd through it in a weekend and still went solid grouping.
The ammo. was mostly steel cased (it was cheap) but it shot well!

When i put a box of Black Talons through it (I was setting up for an Elk hunt) it kept the zero + .5 on the high side with a near perfect windage.

The scope was a cheap Simmons 3-9x50 but worked very well.

I had an M1A Armscorp in the early 90's. Has a lead filled stock and glass bedded free floated bbl.
THAT thing could shoot!

i put over 1100 rnd through it in a weekend and still went solid grouping.
The ammo. was mostly steel cased (it was cheap) but it shot well!

When i put a box of Black Talons through it (I was setting up for an Elk hunt) it kept the zero + .5 on the high side with a near perfect windage.

The scope was a cheap Simmons 3-9x50 but worked very well.

Armscorp made some good runs of m1a's and once in awhile a bad run of them. Solid rifles for the most part. I run port nato surplus almost exclusively through my SA M1a NM. With the scope under 1 minute of angle, with my tired eyes and irons about 1.25" groups at 100 yrds.

Trained professionally on the m14 in 69 by Marine rifle instructors at Parris Island, I've always kept at least one rendition of that rifle. Can still hold minute of man out to 600 with irons without any effort, and have the come ups burned into memory.

I like this new discussion forum. :thumb

I got a Ruger PC9 carbine this weekend. It should fit nicely in one of my saddlebags.

Nice, reportedly hard to come by and may turn out to be limited production. They are 100 yards amazingly accurate. You are going to like it.
OM

I had one of the older style non-takedowns in .40 cal. I’m a sucker for takedown rifles, so these are a lot more interesting to me than the old ones.
I keep saying I’m not much on pistol caliber rifles, but I keep buying them.

The shop I got mine from had three. The week before, they got five in on Friday and sold them all by noon Saturday.

I've got guns and a carry lic, but I rarely carry.

The question is, what are you preparing for? The areas I ride are crime free. Nothing ever happens.

What happens in the areas you ride in? That's what you need to prepare for. A 642 or P938 in the pocket may do the trick. If you need more serious artillery, I'd suggest riding somewhere else.

I’m a shotgunner. Sporting clays. It keeps me honest so my pointer doesn’t have an issue if I miss. The look you get. If you have a birder you know what I’m talking about.
Also I like smoke poles. Flinters to be precise

I did Sporting Clays for a short time. It was becoming a money pit real quick. I had to quit or file bankruptcy.

I don't play sporting clays often enough. Sitting on 14K in birds and shells for the Winchester 101 neutral cant O/U. I need the neutral cant as I fire long guns from the left shoulder.

The real money pit is the shed that houses 24K rds of 9mm; 15K of 45acp; 18K of 223; 8K of nato surplus 762x51; 3K of 357/38; 55K rds of 22lr; a few K of 380acp and the two safes stuffed with toys to shoot the above. :)

During my tournament days I was using a K-80 for the main events and the carrier barrel and tubes for the subs.
On the fun events or say a 50 target practice, I used to like to go around again and take a new shooter with me that hadn’t done well- and help them double or triple their score.
The group I was associated with held charity events to benefit Make-a-Wish. It was fun and through the years we had raised more than 70K for the charity.
OM

During my tournament days I was using a K-80 for the main events and the carrier barrel and tubes for the subs.
On the fun events or say a 50 target practice, I used to like to go around again and take a new shooter with me that hadn’t done well- and help them double or triple their score.
The group I was associated with held charity events to benefit Make-a-Wish. It was fun and through the years we had raised more than 70K for the charity.
OM

:thumb

Back