• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fog Measures?

PAULBACH

Have been caught a couple of times this summer in early morning dense fog. All of a sudden there it is. Sometimes the fog is so thick all one can do is to keep between the white lines. :uhoh

A few minutes later the full face visor is covered over. Lift the visor and the glasses get covered in a short interval. The only safe thing seems to be to pull over and wait it out. In a cage one turns on the wipers and the heaters - options not available on the usual motorcycle.

Other than moving to a warmer clime, does anyone have any strategies to fight this phenomenon?

PAULBACH said:
Have been caught a couple of times this summer in early morning dense fog. All of a sudden there it is. Sometimes the fog is so thick all one can do is to keep between the white lines. :uhoh

A few minutes later the full face visor is covered over. Lift the visor and the glasses get covered in a short interval. The only safe thing seems to be to pull over and wait it out. In a cage one turns on the wipers and the heaters - options not available on the usual motorcycle.

Other than moving to a warmer clime, does anyone have any strategies to fight this phenomenon?

I ride in fog from time to time, here in the foggy bay area.

I wear Held gloves that have a little visor wiper built into the left index finger. I won't buy gloves without them any more.

Also, headlight on low beam, fog lights, if you've got them, on. And remember, fog lights need to be low to shine under the fog. Put them up high and they don't work.

Yes, I have run into the fog issue (not very frequently, though) and it sucks. :( Stop, open visor, wipe, ride, repeat. What I need to invent is a windsheild (visor) wiper and de-fogger unit small enough to be installed in the helmet and be non-obtrusive. With current technology making smaller and smaller, why not? :idea Its on my to-do list. Here are a couple of products I found, but have not tried. Good luck.

http://www.greenlightstuff.com/
or....
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/visors/fog-city-progrip.htm

Stuff2C said:
Be REAL careful pulling off the road, some moron in a car may take you out. Get WAY off the road in heavy fog if you do pull over.

remember that in low visibility, drivers will often follow lights ahead of them. leaving your lights on while pulled over to the side may guide them right into the rear of your bike. :uhoh

wuli959 said:
remember that in low visibility, drivers will often follow lights ahead of them. leaving your lights on while pulled over to the side may guide them right into the rear of your bike. :uhoh

+1 :wave

Visibility is king. There are wipers available through the Aerostich catalog called Vee Wipes. These are little squeegees that slide over your thumb or finger where you can easily swipe water off your face shield. They are cheap and they work. On airheads an aftermarket LED tail light will add lots of visibility to your back side, and when my pop said EEwww when looking at the reflective decals on the back of my touring cases I knew that they worked well. In fog the pavement is wet, and deer somehow feel emboldened, so I ride more slowly. :blah

For helmet visors try Smith's No Fog Cloth (us$2). I purchased some for my ski goggles and they work great for sunglasses and helmet visors. Just wipe the visor with the cloth after cleaning and it will keep it from fogging. Lasts until the next cleaning. One fog cloth will last me a few months.

Ears are an important fog tool. I wear ear plugs 99% of the time. I do not wear them in fog. Read any advisory on driving in fog and they tell you to crack a window so that you may hear better. :lurk

For the helmet visor, Fog City liner. For the glasses, Zooke. This one-two punch keeps my vision unobstructed on those days.

Statdawg said:
My fear in fog is getting hit from behind.

It's my biggest fear too. If it is that foggy I don't ride, I just don't feel it is worth the risk. Stay safe and wait it out if you can.

I second Bob_M's use of Vee Wipes (Slip on squeegees) for keeping the visor clean. And swear by the use of a "Kisan Signal Minder" for turning your signals into running lites.

Without:
50386896-S.jpg

With:
50386915-S.jpg

With me and my Safety Vest:
50386891-S.jpg

Ride safe, ride to live... :wave

Thanks for sharing

Thank you all for sharing some good experience. My major concern was just seeing the road THROUGH THE VISOR. That seems to remain an issue until technology comes up with a heated visor. Seems outlandish but then there are now airbags on motorcycles.

I had overlooked being seen at all so those suggestions were almost helpful. :clap

Thanks especially to the West Coast riders who seem to deal with this issue on a daily basis. :thumb

KBasa said:
I ride in fog from time to time, here in the foggy bay area.

I wear Held gloves that have a little visor wiper built into the left index finger. I won't buy gloves without them any more.

Also, headlight on low beam, fog lights, if you've got them, on. And remember, fog lights need to be low to shine under the fog. Put them up high and they don't work.
+1 for the little wiper built in thingy in the fog, +2 for held gloves :)

I seem to remember that some snowmobile outfitters had heated visors several years ago. Maybe Dennis Kirk?

Last edited:
KBasa said:
Uh, the Fog City works on the inside. A good fog bank makes the outside of your shield wet in a way that's very different than rain.

Doh! :doh Next time I be reading better.

KBasa said:

Rider's Wearhouse sells packs of 3 different sizes. I think <$10.

Back