• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

motorcycle trailer

CANADIANSTEVE

Go Leafs Go
Would anyone in Connecticut have a motorcycle hauling trailer that I could rent or borrow for 3 weeks in August ? Or know where I could find one to rent?
Steve

i hope you know you just jinxed yourself into some sort of roadside failure that leaves your bike unable to move under its own power.
your call - a trailer, or you can push it home.

i said similar things once upon a time and had to eat my words when i had a flat that couldn't be repaired with a plug. it took several months for my friends to stop rubbing that one in.

I once had to park my K75 300 miles from home on a Sunday afternoon because of exposed cords around the circumference of the rear tire. But it was Voni's fault. She made me stay two extra days and ride twisty roads in Colorado before we headed for home. Otherwise, I'd have had enough tire to make it home.

So Old Smokey got to be on a trailer once in its life at least.

I "did the T-thing" to my bike so I could have fresh tyres for Rego's class once. Does that count?

Voni and Paul were there in Topeka. They seem to be a bad influence....

Why did they ban trailering

:stick Uhual:buds :stick Canadian Tire, Remi.Princess auto. all are good and inexpencive.:buds :bikes \

Ride them till they blow off the rubber..:bolt

Today on Dr. Phil, Confessions from BMW Motorcycle owners who have Trailered their Bikes.

Hi
My name is Steve and I HAVE trailered a BMW...or two:laugh

Not a running one, except when I hauled a LT back from Dallas for a friend the morning after an ice storm...He wasn't ready to ride in all the kitty litter on the roads

Had to do the T word to Memphis and back one time....... Went down to the local Harley dealership and bought a HD cover. Great camoflauge and saved me a lot of embarrassment.:laugh

My true confession:

My first bike came home on the back of a friend's pick up truck. I'd had my license all of a week when I landed the K75 and could not imagine riding that bike all the way home...all 40 straight miles. :D My friend test rode it for me! Why do they give licenses to people who have not been out of second gear on a 250 Nighthawk?

These responses are all quite amusing (especially the HD cover!), but don't help the OP much!

Here is a link to an XPLOR post on trailers. You can buy a GREAT trailer for under $1000 that will fold up and stand against a wall out of your way. I don't know how much a 3 week rental is, but perhaps this would be a better deal for you. It comes ready for one bike but you can put on extra ramps.

Robo

http://www.bmwxplor.com/forums/topic/show/1002

Today on Dr. Phil, Confessions from BMW Motorcycle owners who have Trailered their Bikes.

Is there some shame attached to having a BMW on a trailer?:stick

I trailered mine to Elizabeth, Illinois two weekends ago. Went to spend some time with friends. Nancy doesn't ride on the back of the bike. I wanted to do the Slimey Crud Run. A win, win. I got to have my wife with me for most of the trip (which I enjoy) and also got to do the Run.

In August, a riding buddy and I are going to spend a week in Ouray, Colorado riding some of the best mountain roads in Colorado. To get there, the bike is going to be on a trailer. Why, because my buddy doesn't want to ride a over a thousand miles on his bike. He is taking a trailer and I will split gas with him.

I trailer and am not ashamed to admit it.:laugh

So if you see a trailer with a R 1100 RT on it in Kansas during August, honk and wave.

PS If some how, in your mind, it makes me not a "real" BMW rider, I don't care.:D

Is there some shame attached to having a BMW on a trailer?:stick

I trailered mine to Elizabeth, Illinois two weekends ago. Went to spend some time with friends. Nancy doesn't ride on the back of the bike. I wanted to do the Slimey Crud Run. A win, win. I got to have my wife with me for most of the trip (which I enjoy) and also got to do the Run.

In August, a riding buddy and I are going to spend a week in Ouray, Colorado riding some of the best mountain roads in Colorado. To get there, the bike is going to be on a trailer. Why, because my buddy doesn't want to ride a over a thousand miles on his bike. He is taking a trailer and I will split gas with him.

I trailer and am not ashamed to admit it.:laugh

So if you see a trailer with a R 1100 RT on it in Kansas during August, honk and wave.

PS If some how, in your mind, it makes me not a "real" BMW rider, I don't care.:D

AMEN!

I trailer my bike all the time and I always get a good chuckle out of militants who rant and rage against trailering. I find this especially entertaining when they are reaching for a beer out of the cooler that arrived in the trailer. Not that anyone in this thread has every benefited from the Toy Box. :rolleyes

I have a Kendon Dual Rail that I purchased used from a MOA member over the winter. I couldn't be happier. For a rental I suggest you get a landscape trailer from u-haul on a one way out and back. I don't know if they do one way rentals on the landscape models, every time I have rented I returned to the point of origin for a daily rate of $10.

I will be using my Kendon in August to take my bike out to St. Louis for the Iron Butt Rally. Yup, trailer for 1,200, ride 11,000 and trailer it home. I guess that makes my RTP a "trailer queen". :nyah

I have TWO trailers...a single flatbed w/ a Bike-pro wheel chock...it's used for rescues and hauling ANY bike anywhere...I don't care if I catch noise over having a bike on a trailer...it has held BMW's,Hondas,HD's and one old Yamaha. I lend it out if I do not get convinced to pull it for someone who cannot.

I also have a 16' enclosed with spots for 4 road bikes/ more if you got them cozy!...bought it from a fellow with 6 dirtbikes and needed to downsize... Was going to use it for a family ride to Sturgis from TX...not everyone wanted to ride the whole way. I was told on that trip I have to leave the beemers at home...I think NOT!it may be in the trailer while I have to drive the truck. but I think it will fit!

Then you have the awesome house on wheels of Motor31 and the one I saw in Branson...NO SHAME in "trailering" with those set-ups!!:thumb
Hey, if it saves some tires for another run...pull away!:dance

Trailers get a bad rap from the 'ride everywhere' crowd but I'm sure it's in jest. There are some great benefits to a trailer. I live in the boring flats of Raleigh, NC. It is a long, boring, 3 hour interstate ride to get to the good mountain roads (Deal's Gap, Cherohala Skyway, etc.): some of the best roads in the country. Using a trailer allows me to leave early in the AM when I'm a bit sleepy, drink a coffee in the truck, and cross the 3 hours of flatlands. Then, I ride 10 to 14 hours in the great roads until dark. At that point, it's dark and I'm beaten and tired, and my butt is sore (Corbin seat not withstanding). It is a great feeling, as the Sun sets, to put the bike on the trailer and just set the truck cruise control and relax for the boring 3 hours home.

Previously, I'd ride home, and it either ate up my time leaving early or I'd be riding exhausted, and that's not safe.

Trailer does not equal bad; sometimes, it equals smart!

Robo

AMEN!

I trailer my bike all the time and I always get a good chuckle out of militants who rant and rage against trailering. I find this especially entertaining when they are reaching for a beer out of the cooler that arrived in the trailer. Not that anyone in this thread has every benefited from the Toy Box. :rolleyes

I have a Kendon Dual Rail that I purchased used from a MOA member over the winter. I couldn't be happier. For a rental I suggest you get a landscape trailer from u-haul on a one way out and back. I don't know if they do one way rentals on the landscape models, every time I have rented I returned to the point of origin for a daily rate of $10.

I will be using my Kendon in August to take my bike out to St. Louis for the Iron Butt Rally. Yup, trailer for 1,200, ride 11,000 and trailer it home. I guess that makes my RTP a "trailer queen". :nyah

Another vote for Kendon.....I have a single rail which stands up in a distant corner of my garage when not in use. I have also used the small U-Haul variety from time to time. In addition to being able to rescue a disabled bike, it also allows my family to travel to remote areas with the chuck wagon along when we get there, but to still be able to ride. Don't care who likes it or not ( I get a real kick out of some of the real biker/rider/motorcyclist/beemer owner rants).....if I want to trailer, I will do so. :wave

... sad but true. Spline breakdown and Penske rental became home for a couple of days. -Bob

Attachments

• 5 Bike Dismount at Portland Ferry.JPG
    5 Bike Dismount at Portland Ferry.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 449
Back