• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1200RT Side Bag Damage Fix?

tgf429

Plasterman
Didn't realize my butt was so wide and clipped my left side bag. Any suggestions on how to repair this or at least make it look presentable on the cheap?

Attachments

• Side Bag.jpg
    Side Bag.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 271
Depends, is that paint transferred from what you hit or is that missing paint scraped off the bag. If it is paint transferred to the bag try some rubbing compound.

I would get an estimate at your local body shop. BMW uses Glasurit BASF paint.
BASF is not hard to find.

I had the same damage repaired and painted for $150.00. By guy in the bike community that does this on the side.

Ed

Similar damage to mine was sanded down and painted to perfection by local GM body shop guys for <$100. Didn't use the '$2 million dollars a pint Glasurit paint,' but you can't tell which one was painted - three years later! :thumb

Did it myself using ColorRite paint

I had similar damage to my cases. I went the DIY route. Used ColorRite aerosol paint. It came out very well but I don't think i saved a dime. Unless you like to paint and sand and compound and paint and sand and..... etc. A pro is your best choice.

Mine looked like that too. My independant body shop uses Spies/Hecker paint. At first they said there was no match for N44 Thunder Grey. After looking again under "BMW MOTORCYCLE" they found it. Looks great.

i did this to my R1150R a few years ago. I went to a local paint shop and bought the same color correct paint and clear coat. A woodworking friend had a good HVLP gun and did it in about an hour, You can't tell it was ever damaged. If I can do it anyone can, this was my first attempt at painting!

Took my bags to a foreign car auto body shop

Predominantly BMW and Audi - they matched it right away I had my Biarittz Blue RT at the time - $200 well spent

Welcome to the club :thumb

One of the locals took his bags to a Rhino Liner shop and had them spray on a color matched coating that looks bulletproof now !

You can by the bed liner stuff in cans now, but color is usually black only.

BTW: What did you hit for that scrape ?

Not sure about the states, but I purchased a new OEM painted pannier cover for 136 Euros in Germany. Approximately $176.00 USD. Also replaced the red reflectors with BMW logo while I was at it.

Not sure about the states, but I purchased a new OEM painted pannier cover for 136 Euros in Germany. Approximately $176.00 USD. Also replaced the red reflectors with BMW logo while I was at it.

Couple of years back, before I knew to just go to my local GM body shop, I purchased a replacement pannier cover in the granite grey I needed - $400+

Learned my lesson. :bolt

...the list that haven't scraped...would be much shorter...Greenwald

As they say: "There are those who have, and those who will...." :)

I clipped one of my panniers on the garage door frame the first time I ever used them. It's got a white smear on it, and I'm leaving it for now.

Back