• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Insurance riding through Canada from USA

smmotorco

I live in Florida and motorcycle insurance is not required here. I want to ride to Alaska and was wondering if motorcycle insurance is required in Canada? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It is required in Canada and you can be checked at the border, but I've crossed in and out of Canada many times and have never been checked. I have also never made contact with a Canadian LEO, but I imagine they check. Best to get insurance.

Alaska certainly requires insurance and the LEOs will check to see if you are carrying an insurance card. Pretty stiff penalty for not being insured and they can prohibit you from using the vehicle until you produce a card. Not sure how they handle uninsured out of state riders. Best go on their website and findout.

Nice PD.

You ride a bike on the road without insurance??? FWIW you are required to have insurance in Arizona much less Canada.

If you're pulled over by a cop in Canada the first thing he/she will want to see is registration and proof of insurance (just like - almost - every other jurisdiction in North America). Never knew there was any jurisdiction in NA where you could operate a motor vehicle on public roads without insurance.

Motor vehicle regulations vary on a province-by-province basis in Canada like they vary state-by-state in the US. The penalty for no proof of insurance in Ontario is a maximum of $5000.

I spoke to a local police chief who I know and asked him what the response would be to an out of state rider without insurance..... impound.

just because it's not required doesn't mean you should'nt have it

I live in Florida and motorcycle insurance is not required here.

Your call, but just because it's not required doesn't mean you should'nt have it.
I'm required to have liability only, but I have full coverage.
max
delaware

I carry both my registration and the coverage page from my insurance when riding in Canada. Never been asked at the border, never been stopped by cops there either, but from what I hear, that's when you need the proof.

I understand that Federal interstate commerce regulations allow uninsured motorists from states that don't require insurance to drive in states that do. Having said that, operating a vehicle without liability insurance is nuts.

My insurance company provided me a proof of coverage specifically for Canada for a trip last year.
I was never asked for it in four border crossings, but was asked for it when I got pulled over for a traffic stop in Watson Lake, Yukon Territory. (I didn't get a ticket.):whistle

I understand that Federal interstate commerce regulations allow uninsured motorists from states that don't require insurance to drive in states that do. Having said that, operating a vehicle without liability insurance is nuts.

I have my doubts about that being accurate. Our local police certainly do not seem to believe it is so.

I did a search and found that Washington, Montana and Florida do not require motorcycle insurance.
In Nevada the insurance law is that any vehicle that is registered in this state must have Nevada insurance.

Registered in this state must have Nevada insurance.

Insurance is not required in NH either...
I carry a Canadian Proof of Insurance Card in my passport, a simple call to my carrier once a year to get a copy.
Thankfully no one has pulled me over to look at it this year.

5822496723_40cfaa2001_z.jpg

I should rephrase my question. What type of insurance does the Canadian government require for travelers? Liability, full coverage, etc.? Also, is an insurance card enough proof? Thanks for all the help.

I should rephrase my question. What type of insurance does the Canadian government require for travelers? Liability, full coverage, etc.? Also, is an insurance card enough proof? Thanks for all the help.

It's not the "Canadian" government, just as it's not the "American" government. As stated above, it's up to each province or state, so you've got over 60 different jurisdictions at work here.

Go to a Florida insurance broker and tell them you need insurance for the rest of the US and Canada. They should have an idea of what is necessary to satisfy all those jurisdictions and keep you legal. The usual mandatory minimum is liability, the dollar amount varying from place to place. They will then issue an insurance card which is proof of insurance.

It's not the "Canadian" government, just as it's not the "American" government. As stated above, it's up to each province or state, so you've got over 60 different jurisdictions at work here.

Actually, in Canada, there's one card which covers the whole country. USAA just sent me a "Canada Non-Resident Inter-province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card." It has my name and city, and a description of my bike, along with an effective and expiration date. On the back it says: "This certifies that the party named herein is insured against liability for bodily injury and property damage by reason of the operation of the motor vehicle described herein, in an amount not less that the statutory minimum requirement of every province of Canada." Says it in French too.

I've been through Canada via car a few times and never had to produce the card. But then, I've never had a violation or an accident.

Actually, in Canada, there's one card which covers the whole country. USAA just sent me a "Canada Non-Resident Inter-province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card." It has my name and city, and a description of my bike, along with an effective and expiration date. On the back it says: "This certifies that the party named herein is insured against liability for bodily injury and property damage by reason of the operation of the motor vehicle described herein, in an amount not less that the statutory minimum requirement of every province of Canada." Says it in French too.

I've been through Canada via car a few times and never had to produce the card. But then, I've never had a violation or an accident.

That's right, it says Inter-province. Motor vehicle insurance has nothing to do with the Canadian federal government. The Inter-province card meets the individual requirements of all ten provinces. Every province issues the same style card. Motor vehicle insurance remains the jurisdiction of the provinces, with every province having its own, different, mandatory coverage.

I prefer to listen to the Canadian Gov on this issue

US Visitors - Your American driver's license is valid in Canada

Make sure you bring along proof of insurance by asking your insurance company for a free "Non-resident Inter-Provincial Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card" before you leave, or carry the policy itself. If you're driving a borrowed car or trailer, bring a letter of permission signed by the owner. If you're driving a rented car, carry a copy of the rental contract. ( from Canadian Gov Travel Site )

So, you need liability. The insurance company you deal with can issue said card. I have traveled there the last two years and had two different insurance companies I dealt with at the time issue the card to me for proof of insurance. Saying all that I have crossed into Canada 4 times in the last 2 years and never once had them ask for that card. If you are pulled over they may want it and if you are unlucky enough to have a mishap I am sure they will want proof of insurance.

Get it and most importantly have fun. I love travel there as the roads are good and the cars are sparse outside of the cities. Avoid Toronto and Montreal like the plague, like stay 100 miles away. If you do that life is good and the country is beautiful. I love Ottawa and especially Quebec City. Just got back from 16 day trip through Sault Ste Marie, North Bay, Ottawa, Quebec City, Saint John, PEI, Baddeck, Halifax, Sherbrooke, Peterborough and Chatham. I would go back today if I had the time off.

Back