• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

hinge broke on aluminum adventure cases

B

bmdubyou

Does anyone know where to find where to find hinges for the aluminum cases off an 02 GS adv? I opened one of mine too hasitly and I let it drop allowing it to shatter into a dozen pieces. :banghead
Thanks! :brad

Of course you can order from BMW but do a Google search. I'm positive I saw the exact hinges offered aftermarket.
If you must replace both hinges, go to the local hardware store. No point buying $$$ OEM crap

yeah, I was thinking of just getting some real hinges (metal) but the OEM have a detent stop that keeps the lids halfway open.

BMW sells a set of wire loops to keep the lids from flipping over. You can make your own from thin, stainless aircraft wire also. Highly recommended

BMW sells a set of wire loops to keep the lids from flipping over. You can make your own from thin, stainless aircraft wire also. Highly recommended

Have you done that? Where would you mount the wire? Not sure Id want to drill holes in the aluminum!? (BUT it would save busting the hinges)

Yes, did that.
The wires go under exising bolts, with a washer that comes with the kit. In the lid, it's one of the bolts that hold the strap loops and in the bottom part, it's one of the bolts that holds the attachment hardware on the side of the box.
Easy as pie. No drilling required.

wow...Re-psycle wants like $45 for a hinge....and I need two. :violin I'm thinking locally now...the local hardware just might have something that'll work just fine!

hinge.jpg

So my 2004 R 1150 GS Adventure has suffered the same fate and need to find this hinge / articulation mechanism part. Full disclosure, I don't know what the OEM part name or number is... Who knows it?

I've written to A&S here in Cali to see if they have it, although I can't find it in a search on their site.

Lastly I've found it on the overseas site: ---bmw-motorrad-bohling-com---
Has anyone bought from them? It looks legit, but what do I know? It's the internet.

Last edited:
I did check out their site and it looks pretty good, I would order from them. I see they take PayPal so you are somewhat protected. I have ordered a couple large value purchases from two different European companies, I have been completely satisfied with the customer service and delivery of those items. I even had to return an item, all issues were resolved and I received my full refund.

Search Adv Riders GS forum. There is a thread on this subject. I believe Southco has a hinge that is a direct replacement at a significant lower cost.

https://www.southco.com/en-ca/

Excellent! Thanks I totally spaced on searching over there and looks like a good solution is available from McMaster : https://www.mcmaster.com/#2190a13/=173ng7m

(On a side note: "ufda happens" sounds like a motto my norwegian father would say haha. Maybe it's not scandinavian specific though?)

Ended up ordering from Ugly Fish Inc ...let's see how these hold up: http://www.uglyfishinc.com/southco-marine-boat-and-yacht-hinges-p/c6-xx.htm

Last edited:
Back