• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1994 K75 Rear main seal removal

NCmotomark

Motomark
My 1994 k75 is getting some rejuivination done over the winter,I have removed the driveline to the rear seal to take care of a increasing oil seepage from the weep hole.With 90,000 miles of pure K satisfaction,I thought it was time to take care of whatever was leaking,check out the clutch plate,re inspect and lube all splines.My findings were as followed-All spline surfaces in good shape,thanks to guarddog Moly 60.Tranny looks good with no leaks.Clutch plate to be replaced due to normal wear,0.5mm left before min thickness.Clutch seal cracked in several places,most likly the culprit.I thought that I would also replace the rear main seal while I am already there.I have a seal drift made to reinsert and seat the new seal with the new proper depth.My problem is how to safely remove the old seal without damaging the output shaft or the surfaces of the inside beyond the seal.I have looked at different forums and saw a crude way to remove with screws drilled into the seal and attached by wire to a hammer to jerk out.Seems kinda barberic.But Worked!
I am using a three arm puller that will barely fit without touching the output shaft.But when I pulled outwards to remove the seal, the arms just bent the metal edge of the seal outwards and popped away,seal did'nt budge.:banghead

Please tell me the secret to removing this seal.I keep looking at my drill wondering.....
Thanks

My 1994 k75 is getting some rejuivination done over the winter,I have removed the driveline to the rear seal to take care of a increasing oil seepage from the weep hole.With 90,000 miles of pure K satisfaction,I thought it was time to take care of whatever was leaking,check out the clutch plate,re inspect and lube all splines.My findings were as followed-All spline surfaces in good shape,thanks to guarddog Moly 60.Tranny looks good with no leaks.Clutch plate to be replaced due to normal wear,0.5mm left before min thickness.Clutch seal cracked in several places,most likly the culprit.I thought that I would also replace the rear main seal while I am already there.I have a seal drift made to reinsert and seat the new seal with the new proper depth.My problem is how to safely remove the old seal without damaging the output shaft or the surfaces of the inside beyond the seal.I have looked at different forums and saw a crude way to remove with screws drilled into the seal and attached by wire to a hammer to jerk out.Seems kinda barberic.But Worked!
I am using a three arm puller that will barely fit without touching the output shaft.But when I pulled outwards to remove the seal, the arms just bent the metal edge of the seal outwards and popped away,seal did'nt budge.:banghead

Please tell me the secret to removing this seal.I keep looking at my drill wondering.....
Thanks

I removed the seal successfully using a three arm puller attached to slide hammer borrowed from O'reilly auto.

Four hands is better than two for this: Very carefully thread a course sheet metal screw into one edge of the seal, being careful to avoid both the case and the output shaft.

Then drive the opposite side of the seal slightly inward to cock the seal as you pull outward (back) on the screw.

Back