• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How to buy a used LT shock and fork 2000 K1200 LT

mslacool

I am not going to spend 2000 on Ohlin shocks and so I have decided to get a cheap takeoff and they seem to be everywhere. Ebay etc I know about buying the same thing I am taking off but mine it totally gone. Is there any list of questions or way to ensure that a used part is either good functional or "bad" other than asking about miles and knowing the reputation of the seller if one could? There has to be a way to test them on the bench right?

If you have suggestions, let me know. I am trying to avoid spending a hundred bucks on exactly what I have... a bad worn out non functional shock.

Thanks in Advance

I think you have the basics covered.
Unless you are buying from a guy who is parting out his own bike, the seller may not even know the shock's history. At best he may know the bike's mileage, and you can only hope he's being honest.

An upside to these bikes being cheap is that it may not take a lot to put them in the "part it out" category, so there may be more shocks being offer from bikes other than the ones that were wrapped around trees.

FWIW, I bought a used K1200 that needed some TLC, but came equipped with a set of electronic Ohlins already mounted. I swapped the Ohlins onto my bike, made the necessary repairs to the other bike, and resold it. I basically got the set of Ohlins for free, if you don't count the massive amount of my own labor.

I am not going to spend 2000 on Ohlin shocks and so I have decided to get a cheap takeoff and they seem to be everywhere. Ebay etc I know about buying the same thing I am taking off but mine it totally gone. Is there any list of questions or way to ensure that a used part is either good functional or "bad" other than asking about miles and knowing the reputation of the seller if one could? There has to be a way to test them on the bench right?

If you have suggestions, let me know. I am trying to avoid spending a hundred bucks on exactly what I have... a bad worn out non functional shock.

Thanks in Advance
I have a 2008 LT coming in for a shock upgrade in a few weeks I'll see how many miles are on the OEM shocks. The OEM shocks have upgraded springs on them.

I have a 2008 LT coming in for a shock upgrade in a few weeks I'll see how many miles are on the OEM shocks. The OEM shocks have upgraded springs on them.

Remember, according to forum rules, no want to buy or for sale business is to be posted on this part of the forum. So any further comunication should be handled by PM.:thumb

:dance:dance:dance

Thanks
I have heard that adding hyperpro springs really helps the original shock but my front one is bottoming out and has been. Its a pig. I am NOT a mechanic but I can follow video instructions. The rear looks easy (er) and the front harder but i have a lift and some time. I see front shocks, for 35.00 with free shipping which for an unknown shock, is probably still too much since once its up and on, I have a lot of my own hit or miss mechanic time into it.
I have been told that the shocks were different, later years but that may be the programmable esa stuff... mine is a 2000

My guess is that replacements are usually being replaced because they are no longer working.. thats been my fear

Does YSS make a shock for the K1200? They are cheaper than Ohlins. The previous owner of my K75 put on a YSS, new, and RaceTech springs in the forks. No wallowing, solid and precise.

My take is that if it's not coming off a wrecked bike, it was probably taken off because it wasn't working very well.
If it is taken off a wrecked bike, you need to be sure the shock itself is still straight.

Thanks in Advance

You might consider having the stock ones rebuilt. I did that on my R1150RT 20k miles before I wrecked it. They worked great. Lindermann Enginering. The 1st rebuild cost more as he needs to drill and tap for a gas valve. The next cheapest option might be to find a used after market shock and having it rebuilt. Like Works, YSS, Hyperpro, etc.

never heard of works

I looked at yss and they weren't open and don't take emails. There are no cheap aftermarket shocks for the reason you state. Its just a shock ... to me once you have one, you ought to be able to rebuild it or revalve it pretty simply and the same way for all of them. But remember I am not a mechanic. I would pay 200 bucks for ared reliable shock but after that my time is worth nothing so redoing it would seem the better choice. Its got to be easier the second time right?

YSS shocks are available from a number of US dealers, one I am familiar with is Rubber Chicken Racing Garage in Pennsylvania at http://www.rubberchickenracinggarage.com/suspension.html

Your profile doesn’t have any location info so I don’t know if that’s close to you or not. Regardless, if you contact Tom Cutter at the above link I’m sure you’ll get a speedy response for a quote.

If I had to hazard a guess I’d think new shocks would likely be in the range of $400-$500 each, plus shipping. And, new shocks will completely transform the bike. So the question at this point is how much is it worth to you to continue riding this particular 19yr-old motorcycle? Buying used shocks is a total crapshoot—they were all taken off for a reason—and you face a significant amount of labor to swap them in, especially on the front, and may end up in the same or worse status than when you started. If you don’t feel the expense of reasonably priced new shocks is justified, then it may be time to move this bike down the road to a new owner or a parter and look for a replacement ride.

Good luck,
DG

Back