• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cleaning Electrical Contacts

mbellantone

AirandOil In NJ
Hey guys and girls, I'm sorry if I'm covering old material but I searched the Airhead forum and the others but came close but not exact to a satisfactory answer.

I'm putting back together a fairly well maintained '84R80 RT after changing steering head bearings but I want to finish it up right.

Using the instrument cluster box as an example, I'd like to clean the many points on the harness end and the box end but I don't want to do it wrong. I'm sure i'm correct in using "contact cleaner" to clear off debris but what about and contact "lube"? does it need it? Is it better if you do? What type should I use?

While I'm on the subject, should I clean and re-prep all the relay contacts and the other exposed contacts while the tank is off? Someone said "leave well enough alone" but I'm not sure I agree with that notion. Do all the contacts get treated the same way?

Thanks in advance,

M

contacts

Thanks -jwk-

Do you recommend that I do all the contacts that I can get at with my grubby fingers or leave them?

M

I had my harness completely out so did most, if not all of them. Pay particular attention to the starter relay connections (if yours uses it). Corrosion there apparently killed this machine for the P.O. All that said, "working" the contacts when giving them a spritz of Deoxit does wonders. I would do that rather than just spraying the connections in situ.

Back