• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Failure to Launch

ovto

Hi All,

I have a FYK with a bit over 100K miles. Bought it new and it's been a very dependable ride. Just recently, it's started misbehaving a bit and I hoping for some guidance on this odd behavior.

When starting out in first gear, it will stutter until the revs hit about 3k in first gear. It feels like it's not firing, or maybe starved for fuel. Once it spins up, everything's fine. I can ride around all day and it behaves proper, except for starting out. It seems to be just first gear. I can lug it from idle in second gear and she's smooth as silk.

It does have an aftermarket coil on it the original failed years ago and the mechanic (at a BMW shop) said this was the closest he could get to an OEM. The coil was my first guess, but I don't understand how it could be fine except when launching in first gear.

Has anyone else had these symptoms, or is there any other information I can provide? Suggestions for debugging the problem?

Thanks,
Dan

Question: Is this just on that first roll-out after startup, or is it every time in first starting to roll below 3K rpm?

Question: Is this just on that first roll-out after startup, or is it every time in first starting to roll below 3K rpm?

Great question. It happens not only in the first roll-out after starting the motorcycle, but most of the time when starting from a stop. It seems to be more frequent now than when I first noticed it a few weeks ago.

What if you put it in first gear and just ride at speeds below 3000 RPM? Don't accelerate above the problem zone. Does it continually stumble for you?

Back