• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Trip Tracking Solutions

PittsDriver

Fuse lit....
I wondering if this impressive collection of scooter knowledge assembled here on the BMWMOA forum has any good advice for trip tracking by loved ones back at home? A little bit of research in to this turns up a few free services/apps for smart phones and some more professional grade type subscription service providers. A couple of the free ones:

bGPS Official Site

or

InstaMapper - Free Real-Time GPS Tracking

The problem with these free smart phone apps for me is twofold: they suck down battery life like crazy; and, they give me a creepy Orwellian vib that I can't shake off. I can charge my phone on the bike but I'm wondering what the ulterior motives are of the folks that offer these free services?

Anyone here have any experience with any of the these free smart phone related choices?

I'm an aircraft owner and fully aware of PLBs and The Spot and what they provide. I'm asking more about something my family can track my progress with on a ride if 99% reliability isn't important.

A lot of roads "Out West" don't have cell service unless you are close to a town.
The PLB's and SPOT use satellite services.

I use Googles Latitude service. I have to invite you to allow you to track me and I can turn it off and on, on my Android phone. Seems to work for me.

I have a Spot and have also used Google Latitude on the phone. I use Spotwalla to let my friends see where I am. Lets them see the whole trip and they get archived. I tested it with Google Latitude and that worked too, but since I carry the spot and have it in tracking mode on most longer trips, using the phone battery for GL seemed like a waste.

here is a past trip: http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=36c04e524ebda53c6

One of the nice things on Spotwalla is you can define a security zone where it won't display tracks. I just set it up for a 5 or 10 mile radius around the house.

Back