• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Flip-Up Helmet Comparison

globalrider

Alps Adventurer
MOTORRAD tested 12 Flip-Up helmets in the 2.3.2007 (06) issue.

I'll only list the ones that scored Good to Very Good.

Shoei Multitec: very good, 82 points (15/18/12/8/8/8/5/5/3).
Schuberth C2: good, 79 points (16/16/10/7/10/9/4/5/2).
Nolan N102: good, 76 points (17/14/15/7/7/7/5/4/0).
BMW System 5: good, 70 points (11/15/11/6/9/7/5/5/1).
HJC FS-Max: good, 70 points (12/16/13/5/8/8/4/4/0).

Ratings were based on:
Shock absorption/safety - 20 points,
Fit (on various head shapes) - 20 points,
User friendliness (operation of chin piece, chin straps) - 15 points,
Aerodynamics/Acoutics (noise) - 10 points,
Ventilation and associated controls - 10 points,
Visor (field of view, etc) - 10 points,
Glasses (ease of use with) - 5 points,
Fit/finish - 5 points,
Weight - 5 points,
For a total score of 100.

Only 4 helmets in the test had a built-in sun visor; the Airoh Mathisse RS, the HJC FS-Max, the Nolan N102 (clips to the exterior of the visor) and the Schuberth C2.

You might find a copy of the test in a few weeks on the MOTORRAD Issue Archive Page.

My personal pick is still the Schuberth Concept/C2...although I haven't seen the Shoei yet.

And I've got this backed up in case of another server crash. :nono

:thumb Just got it Tuesday/ Two days on the road, but so far I am pleased.

What does the Shoei Multitec go for? Did you buy it locally or mail order discount?

I haven't seen one yet. How does it compare to the Schuberth when it comes to solid feel, action of the chin piece, etc.

Maybe talk about it a bit.

Multi tech vs.??

I just recieved my light silver Multitech (MT). I used a C1 for four years before.

In my opinion, the MT is as well produced as the C1. The MT seems a little lighter it's quieter, easier to install comm headset. The only thing I miss from the C1,,,
yeap, the flip down sun visor.

I bought it by email, $384. delievered thru a group buy.

Best,

If you're shopping for flip-ups, maybe take a look at the Caberg Justissimo. My husband bought one at the Atlanta bike show and has been very pleased so far. The sun shield is on the inside of the main shield; there's a lever on the side of the helmet to flip it up and down. He says it works great.

Sarah

If you're shopping for flip-ups, maybe take a look at the Caberg Justissimo. My husband bought one at the Atlanta bike show and has been very pleased so far. The sun shield is on the inside of the main shield; there's a lever on the side of the helmet to flip it up and down. He says it works great.

Sarah

My GF has one and loves it. I use the Sheuberth C1, and it fits me great and works very well.

Jim :brow

BTW, the other flip-up helmets that scored (out of 100) less than Good were:

IXS HX 335: satisfactory, 64 points,
Lazer Grandville: satisfactory, 60 points,
Bayard FP-60: sufficient, 58 points,
Airoh Mathisse RS: sufficient, 53 points,
Nexo Tourstar: unsatisfactory, 46 points,
Held Sky II: unsatisfactory, 43 points,
Vemar Dual VXD College: unsatisfactory, 40 points.

6 areas of the helmet were put through impact tests in a lab. Only 4 out of 12 helmets scored 15/20 or better. Interesting that the BMW System 5 only scored 11/20 in those tests.

Shoei

I recently purchased the Multitec. It is outstanding! I had a Nolan flip helmet and a Shoei RJ 3/4 helmet. The Shoei has been the most comfy helmet I have ever had so I felt confident with purchasing the Multitec w/o actually have tried one on. I paid $369 on-line with free overnight shipping included.

Besides being very comfortable, as advertised, the head buffeting with the Multitec is almost non-existent (also as advertised). With my Nolan flip helmet if I did not keep the windscreen in a high position the head buffeting and noise was very bothersome.

I can now keep the windshield all the way down and I do not feel any buffeting nor is there a lot of wind noise (as a consequence of having the flip).

When it comes to helmets, I do not think $$$ should be a person's limiting factor. We are talking about protecting our head and our brains. How much is that worth? (Particularly for people like me whose brain power already struggles!)

I have the Caberg and really like it better than my Concept as it is quieter and the sunvisor is bigger too.
As is is ECE approved I'm sure it is as safe as all the other euro flips. As with all lids it is a matter of personal fit and comfort. YMMV

When it's time for a new helmet I will probably go with the Multi-Tec. I tried one on at the Motorcycle show and liked it. I've only had my current Synchro-Tec for 2 seasons, and will continue to wear it for the next 2, barring any events unforeseen and unspeakable.

Re:Flippers

As for the Caberg; I bought one a few years ago when the company was called Jarrow. Worst helmet I ever owned over 36 years.

The clear visor leaked like a sieve. After sending it back to the distributer, they placed a felt strip on the helmet that fell off in a couple of hours. The distributer would not answer any communication method. After about 6 months the visor then started to yellow. Same response from the distributer.

It now sits on my garage shelf as book ends, I cut it in half.

I hope they have increased there quality control.

YMMV.

Shoei MT Forst long ride

First off, I ot mine form Chicago Performane on a group buy with the LT group. It was 389.95 delivered. I just competed a 120 mile ride in 96 degree heat. I am very happy with the helmet. The fit and finish is excellent the fit is perfect for me, the noise level is as good as ny helmet I have used. The ventilation is not as good as my RF1000, but it's okay and the mechanism is easy to operate with gloved hands. The operation of the visor mechanism and the flip up are awesome with a very solid feeling upper and lower locks. The flip up is simple to use with one gloved hand. and the visor swap out is a snap. Of course it uses the same visor as my RF 1000, so I have had some practice. Overall, I am extremely happy with this purchase. I'll be adding some comm soon so I will report back on how that goes. Good to be back in the air conditioning.:bikes

Caberg

Where did you buy your Caberg Justissimo? The Caberg web site doesn't list a north american distributor.
Thanks

Er, no joy with the Motorrad article - they only make it available to subscribers or, for non-subscribers, it's "pay to play". I take it they didn't review the Caberg Justissimo?

FWIW, I tried a Caberg Solo ("non-flip" version of the Justissimo) and was sufficiently underwhelmed by it, in comparison to my Schuberth helmets, to send it back.

I've been frustrated with an S-1 (full face Schuberth) and thought I'd try a Solo in hopes a different design with the same basic features would work out. Long story short, nah. The helmet just lacks a general feel of quality and substance. In all fairness, Caberg helmets sell for roughly half of Schuberth helmets. Maybe I'd feel different if I'd never owned a Schuberth.

So now I wear a Schuberth C-2 and like it very much. The internal sun visor is definitely one of the best ideas since the invention of the pop tab. :thumb

Now if Schuberth can only get its act together about having a US distributor... Fairchild Sports (previous distributor for Schuberth and Hein-Gericke) is very much out of the picture. There was supposed to be an announcement of a new distributor at the February bike industry show in Indianapolis but I've heard nothing new. (FWIW, Caberg uses Nicholson in IL; they do not want to hear from retail customers or even want to tell you where their retailers are. :rolleyes ).

Last edited:
My GF has one and loves it. I use the Sheuberth C1, and it fits me great and works very well.

Jim :brow

I was surprised to see Morton's now carries Caberg..

They are now looking into a replacement part for mine, I don't know what speed they are tested too, but apparently I exceeded it. The top vent flew off SOMEWHERE in MD..

I've got the silver Graphics Justissimo, but prefer my Nolan N102 to it, even after removing the VPS visor. the Nolan is quieter, had better visibility..etc.. etc..

Hoping Arai will opt for a modular

My Arai (full face) RX-7RR3 is both the most expensive and most comfortable lid I have ever owned; as mentioned , before fit is a very personal thing and this unit fits my large Irish noggin to perfection; sure would like to see them come out with a flip model but the rep at the Minneapolis show did not think it was under consideration.

Back