• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Bleeding Rear Brake on K1200LT

Liaison
Staff member
I wanted to bleed the rear disk brake on my Dad's KLT and wondered if there's anything unusual about doing that...I've bleed brakes on my Airhead so have the basic idea down. Can the caliper be bled in place or does it need to come off so the bleed nipple is in a different orientation? The nipple looks to be pretty near the top as it sits now.

Also, how do I get access to the reservoir? It looks like if I remove the two bolts that hold the front part of the rear seat to the frame, that might let me slide the rear seat forward, up, and out. Is there more to it than that?

Any other tips?

Thanks...

I wanted to bleed the rear disk brake on my Dad's KLT and wondered if there's anything unusual about doing that...I've bleed brakes on my Airhead so have the basic idea down. Can the caliper be bled in place or does it need to come off so the bleed nipple is in a different orientation? The nipple looks to be pretty near the top as it sits now.

Also, how do I get access to the reservoir? It looks like if I remove the two bolts that hold the front part of the rear seat to the frame, that might let me slide the rear seat forward, up, and out. Is there more to it than that?

Any other tips?

Thanks...

Goes beyond what you're asking but maybe helpful nonetheless:

BMW K1200LT Integrated Brakes & ABS Flush DIY:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGwXIrc3kRU

BMW K1200LT Non-Integrated ABS & Rear Brake Flush DIY:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hm4dxVs3TE

And, of course the copyright violation favorite... the complete LT service manual:
http://www.bmwbmw.org/tech/BMW-K1200LT.pdf

Hopefully one of the above gets you through the night.

Got it done. Seat came off with the two screws as one of the videos said. Found the reservoir...easily accessible from the top...it was bone dry. Filled it will brake fluid and began the pump-pump-pump-hold sequencing and managed to eject quite a bit of air. Finally, solid brake fluid and a solid pedal.

Front brake is a different story...there's a leak...I even got sprayed in the face! Looks like where the rubber line goes into the crimped collar has a break in the hose. That's going to take a bit more work by the mechanic.

If it was that dry Kurt, it would be a good idea to keep an eye on it to start leaking a short time later. Sometimes real dry or more movement in the master or slave that they are used to make them weep........sometimes pour.
OM

I was just trying to get basic function back for a "ferry run" to the dealer for repair. The rear pads are nearing replacement, too.

Back