• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dual sport instruction?

talmadge_w

I'm looking for recommendations on off road training relevant to dual sport riding (Mike's excellent post is noted - I don't want to hijack that thread). It's been over 30 years since I was bashing around in the woods and both bike and rider are heavier and less nimble now. I'm not planning to cross the Sahara, but do want to gain confidence on those loose soft surfaces. Some good DVD material out there but an instructor should be valuable at first? Numerous advertisements in ON and others but I'd like feedback from those of you who have fist hand experience. If I can find something in the South Central part of the country so much the better!

Thanks!

WE will have it;

Come to the Redmond Rally this July and you'll find this, but I know you're in Texas, so ride on up:). There will be lots of GS activities, from learning the basics to beyond, for three days, during the rally. Welcome...Happy Trails, Randy PS; Your question about your area? I'm sorry, I do not know your options for close to home, BUT Paul Glaves and Voni live in that region and MAY know? Find'em, as they are regular posters here at the forum..

The BMW offroad training school is excellent according to the people I know who have done their classes. There is Jimmy Lewis doing his classes as well as Neduro's classes and DVD's to get you going. http://dualsportriding.com/index.php?id=724
I don't have his dvd's but they are good!!

Check out the MSF Dirt Bike School. An MSF Instructor friend of mine is thinking about running a program in my back yard for GS riders, perhaps they will allow you to use your bike where you are.

Amazon.com has their DVDs on sale about the training. Disclaimer : I have not seen them.

Dual Sport instruction

I got the dual sport riding DVD from http://dualsportriding.com/index.php?id=724 and find it very helpful. There are even instrutions you can print out and take with you to practice. There is a link on the MOA website to order the DVD. Watch the popup ad for the discount code and you can save 10% when you order.

Try Aerostitch too;

They have two DVDs for sale at their website and catalog, for just this purpose at home:). Randy:usa

Shane Watts course if you want to get really serious on a dirt weapon.

He has a instructional DVD called Dirt Wise, the instruction is geared to enduro / woods riding but the skills you learn are applicable to riding a GS.

My daughter and I took his course in person, it was a blast! We both rode off road bikes.

Back