• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

mystery connection '77 r100rs

Gpr100rs

The black wire/connection pictured below is a mystery to me. All electrical components are working, but it appears it was connected at some point. The wire comes from the black junction pictured, and a black wire comes out the other side with a blunt end, which doesn't appear to have ever been connected to anything. I assume it's a ground, but should it be attached to any place special (battery, frame, etc.), or just grounded anywhere? If not already apparent, I have zero knowledge when it come to electrical issues. This is my last "button down" issue in the refurb of my 77 r100rs, so I want to get it right. Any guidance will be appreciated!

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 99
Do NOT attempt to connect it to ground!

I see two black wires. The first one is at that connector.

That is nothing OEM, and from all appearances it plugs into the shielded side of a standard SAE two-pole connector. Normally the shielded side would be the "hot" or +12v side.

Take a test light or a volt meter; unplug the connector, and test for voltage inside the shielded side of the connector connected to those red wires.

The second one has a ring terminal. I have no idea what it is but it is added accessory wiring of some sort.

I bought an '84 R100 in 1995 or so. The PO had installed extra brake lights, tail lights, driving lights, and assorted other crap. I pulled at least 10 feet of wire out of it after removing all the crap. Besides following PGloves advice, I would physically look to see where the other wires from that junction box go. I would also put some electrical tape on the bare end of the wire and the ring terminal just in case they are still hooked up to something.

Lastly, the electrics of these things aren't rocket science. It takes patience more than brains to figure them out (a lot of patience sometimes -- I've had two real problems in my MC career. Both found me staring at the wiring diagram and tracing out power paths with a pencil for an hour or more. And both got solved). Check the wiring diagram for the color wires that go in an out of the junction box and see what they should be hooked up to.

Edit: it looks to me like those wires head towards the tail of the bike. Any extra lights in the taillight?

Looks like it might be part of an accessory charger connection?

:dunno

Loose wires on a "previously owned" bike are generally suspicious- I'd be inclined to track it down and either make it work for whatever it was installed for or get it out of there. At least, if everything works without it, tape it off so it doesn't find it's own new home!

Never assume anything about non-oem electrics!

Looks like it might be part of an accessory charger connection?

:dunno

Loose wires on a "previously owned" bike are generally suspicious- I'd be inclined to track it down and either make it work for whatever it was installed for or get it out of there. At least, if everything works without it, tape it off so it doesn't find it's own new home!

Never assume anything about non-oem electrics!

My father owned the bike in the late 70's and had a CB radio installed in one of the Krauser panniers. Probably the connection for that. I guess I'll tape it off. Thanks for the replies. 10-4 good buddy!

Back