• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need help with trade

mikeb921

I have a pre Civil War musket rifle that I received after my father-in-law passed a few years back. Neither of his 2 daughters wanted it or even knew he had it. Here is the problem. I'm not a gun person and this is a near museum quality piece. It should be owned and shown by a Civil War or antiques weapons person. I would like to trade it for an antique BMW or other brand bike. I will pay a $100 finders fee if someone will help me find a trade. The Antique Gun Guru at the Antiques Roadshow said this was the nicest example of a Model 1855 Springfield that he had ever seen. This gun was manufactured in 1858. If anyone is interested, I can email many photos. Thanks everyone.

Ride Safe
Mike

I have a pre Civil War musket rifle that I received after my father-in-law passed a few years back. Neither of his 2 daughters wanted it or even knew he had it. Here is the problem. I'm not a gun person and this is a near museum quality piece. It should be owned and shown by a Civil War or antiques weapons person. I would like to trade it for an antique BMW or other brand bike. I will pay a $100 finders fee if someone will help me find a trade. The Antique Gun Guru at the Antiques Roadshow said this was the nicest example of a Model 1855 Springfield that he had ever seen. This gun was manufactured in 1858. If anyone is interested, I can email many photos. Thanks everyone.

Ride Safe
Mike

Mike,

Just call the Guru from the Antiques Road show, they are dealers and can help you with the sale. However, I would really like to know how the polished finish was maintained for 140 years and/or the antique value wasn't severely degraded by recent polishing.

Based solely on the polished appearance, I would have assumed that this piece wasn't original. But, I'm no expert.

Mike,

Just call the Guru from the Antiques Road show, they are dealers and can help you with the sale. However, I would really like to know how the polished finish was maintained for 140 years and/or the antique value wasn't severely degraded by recent polishing.

Based solely on the polished appearance, I would have assumed that this piece wasn't original. But, I'm no expert.

Indeed, clean is always good, but refinished is always bad, for real collectors.

Something to beware of is people who say they are appraisers, but really just want to buy it for a song. Take it to a couple antique gun dealers, in person, and with no real intent of selling, and absorb their comments, especially about originality of finish and the various pieces. Pay particular attention to any military unit marks, or inspector cartouches or stamps. Where it served or who had a hand in the manufacture of it can make a huge difference in value, besides condition.

Based on what you discover, a common theme may have some merit. Your best bet for max$ may well be thru a big auction house specializing in antique militaria.

Since it is pre1898 antique, you do not have to worry about federal restrictions taking it to show or sell across state lines. Airline restrictions etc however, would apply.

Back