• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Micro-encapsulated screws - 07 K1200GT

ghyber

On my model year there is no final drive drain plug. To drain the oil I must remove the ISA screw from the tension strut and lower the final drive. My DVD repair manual states that the ISA screw holding the final drive to the tension strut must be replaced after being dismantled. My BMW parts dealer says the techs only replace the nut. He has to order the screws from Germany. :doh

Who is right, the BMW repair manual or the dealer?

The same applies for when removing the engine oil filter. The pivot mount of the side stand is held by three ISA screws. The repair manual also states that the screws must be replaced once dismantled.

Are other BMW dealerships only replacing the nuts? The screws? Or both?

Last edited:
He doesn't have to "order the screws from Germany." All parts for this bike are stocked in the USA.

The service manuals I have say only the nut should be replaced. Know folks who never do.
The nut ( I am sure there is a term for it) is slightly oblong in shape and requires effort to even tighten more than a thread or two.

And on the oil filter, I use the slip wrench type filter wrench, looks like a large set of Channelock pliers made by Lisle. Have not had to unbolt anything on GT's and S's to remove filter.

Micro encapsulated screws are an assembly line convenience. Anyone that has read the MSDS on liquid locktite would not want employees exposed all day.
But for a repair, just get some blue locktite and have fun.

Rod

Back