• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cheap Motels

2yoder1

Going on trip this summer from Salt Lake City to Wisconsin.Anybody know how to get a list of inexpensive motels located on non-freeway roads in Wyoming,South Dakota and Minnesota.? Thanks. Ed.

Do you have AAA? They may be able to help find that type of info. If you don't care if it's a chain or not you could just ride until you are tired and choose a mom & pop type joint in whichever town you stop at. Or you can stay at the iron butt motel:dance

Last year stayed at motel called "Inn On the River" in Trempealeau, Wisconsin while on ride down one side of Mississippi River and return home on the other. Located about 15 miles north of LaCrosse on Wisconsin Hwy 35 which parallels the river. Can't remember what charges were, but place was neat and clean. Bikes securely in view in front of rooms. Outstanding view of river and barge traffic near lock and dam. BNSF mainline tracks kinda close, but I like trains anyway. Taverns and a real good restaurant of which name I can't remember close by. My wife liked it too! Told my wife I could move their when I retire. Twisty Wisconsin alphabet roads a bonus.

Motels are very susceptible to negotiation, particularly later at night and if there is competition. I have often settled on half price as half is better than none. Even easier if you fill out a comment card in favor of the attendant and promise to leave early w/little mess.

If I open the front office door of a motel and smell curried chow, I know I can and will bargain for cheap overnite digs. Seems many Indian immigrants have bought, and or are managing down and out 60's style motor inns and are in process of bringing them back to life. Rooms usually borderline acceptable. Good idea to bring extra roll of butt wipe, spare towel and soap. These facilities seem rare in north central tier of states in my experience. You really can't beat Super 8's for consistent McDonald's like quality in my own opinion.

DO NOT stay at the Kings Inn in Muscle Shoals, Alabama. $10 each for four of us in 2007, but was "itching" to leave following morning! Maybe a thread on "Places to Avoid"?

'81 R100RT, '75 T-160 Trident, 2 '72 Commandos

I will second a lot of information here. I use AAA books successfully. I usually just find a small hotel in town, not near the freeway. An Indian proprietor told me he was cheaper (being 5 miles into town away from the highway) because more business gravitates to those near the freeway exit. And finally, I agree, hotels owned by East Indians are the best ones to negotiate. I get many hotel rooms for $45-50 out the door when others are charging $85 to $100. If you need two rooms, all the better.

I find a lot of small hotels owned by East Indians and it's a family business. The cooking, cleaning, front desk, all managed by the family. They run clean and comfortable motels, usually no frills, and they are very freindly and eager to please. Several have told me to park the bike right in front of the lobby so they can watch it all night.

I'm very pleased with East Indian owned businesses.

Thanks

Thankyou to all who helped me with the motel situation.Only five months until I go. Thanks Ed

Thankyou to all who helped me with the motel situation.Only five months until I go. Thanks Ed

Yet another web source...www.Kayak.com. I've used it extensively and found it's listings for motels by location can easily be sorted by price. I'm sort of reluctant to roll into a new town at the end of the day (especially in more remote locations) and "hope" I can find a room. I'd rather take a lot of time (and I'm retired, so got plenty o' that!) before the trip and really try to suss out the routes and lodging. Not much on spontaneity, but for me saving a bit of time searching and jumping on and off the bike to talk with motel clerks is worth it at the end of a day...

As an aside, one of the reasons that Lawrence Grodsky lost his life in a moto accident with a deer in Texas was having to extend his ride one evening when all the motels at his destination were full. He was a WAY better rider than I will ever be...but riding at night in unfamiliar territory (esp. in the west where lots of places are very far apart) at the end of a long, fun, day just doesn't appeal to me...

Good luck with your trip! It can be a whole lot of fun!

Cheers, BJ

Except when I am travelling in the East, I have found Motel 6s to be very reasonably priced. They are clean with just bare bone essentials, but certainly a giant step up from camping. The odd one even has a pool.

A tip to the wise...do not let your credit card out of your site when paying at the "family run" cheap motels. I did once and had my credit card compromised. Turned into a F'n nightmare to straighten it out. :violin I was sure that it was the motel I stayed at when on a road trip to the national and was lured by the cheap cost of a room. Better to pay in cash if they try to slip into the back to "process" your credit card. I'm now the wiser and urge you to be alert.

Back