• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pannier Tie Down Points

mojoman

Planning a month long trip in March from Florida to California. Going to hug the Gulf coast all the way to Brownsville, Texas then hug the Rio Grande to El Paso. I need a bit of extra space for storage so I am planning to place some light items on top of each saddlebag. The conundrum is how to lash these items securely to the top of the saddlebags using tie down points such that I don't ruin the integrity of the saddlebags. I have Vario saddlebags.

Place a bag on the rear seat and rear rack.
If that's not enough room you're taking too much stuff, even if you're camping.
On a 5.5 week camping trip to Alaska we did not strap anything to our saddle bags.

You can get a really big dry bag on the passenger seat and extended out across the panniers. This can be secured to the passenger grab rails, so no need to do anything with the Vario cases.

If you need more room than that, I agree with Lee, you are taking too much stuff.

Waterproof?

I'm on my second Tour Pack. I bought my first one about 20 years ago, and my second one this past summer. I've never had a problem with rain. On my last trip (to Colorado in late September) I had light rain half of one day with no water getting in the bag. Although the ends of the Tour Pack lay on top of my RT's hard bags, I don't have any problems opening the RT's hard bags since they open to the side. The Tour Pack attachs with two straps that run under the rear seat, but I use two additional straps to make sure it is secure.

E.

The tour pack looks like something I could use, but there's no indication of materials it's made of. As the one reviewer wrote, their website descriptions are thin on information. \

Any idea where they are located? I'm assuming overseas, under contact, there is no contact information. :dunno

Back