• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tell Us of 2008 Trip Plans

B

BobMielke

Most of the country is just now digging out of Winter's grip, dreaming of fair weather and riding, riding, riding. Tell us of your planned trips. Details please. I love to hear of trips folks will take in this year. Give details & pics when available.

Crater Lake, OR is high on my list.
179307617_pA3sq-L.jpg

Bridal Veil Falls, OR ---- Multnomah Falls, OR
176516411_XoAPQ-L.jpg
212181662_wt5iH-L.jpg

Avenue of Giants, Fortuna, CA ----- Portland, OR Zoo
175781971_RtwnE-L.jpg
244049053_6MteC-L.jpg

Haystack Rock, Canon Beach near Seaside, OR
174378155_QuUL8-L.jpg

Cape Meares, Lookout Point near Seaside/Astoria, OR
258782291_vYUj6-L.jpg

My plans

I plan on doing what I call the Tour de NY. I go all over but I have never really explored my own state. One day one, since I live in the Capital District, I will head west on the Great Western Turpike. I will stop along the way in tiny town of Chittenango, NY, once an Erie canal hamlet, is the home of L. Frank Baum, of "Wizard of Oz" fame. Then I will head for Seneca Lake, possibly visit some vineyards, and spend the night in Watkins Glen.
Day 2 I plan to drive the old Formula 1 road course. The first Watkins Glen Sports Car Grand Prix, however, was held in 1948 on public streets in and near the village. Organized by local resident Cameron Argetsinger, it was the first post-WWII road race held in the United States and it marked the revival of American road racing.

The original course ran for 6.6 miles and passed through the center of the village. The streets used for the original course remain intact today and a checkered flag marks the original start-finish line on the village's main street.

Then I will head for Jamestown NY to visit the Desi and Lucy Musuem. Then I will head for Niagara Falls to spend my evening on the Canadian side of the border at Clifton Hill.

Day 3 I will return to the states and ride along Lake Ontario to Thousand Islands Park to stay with some friends for the evening.

Day 4 I will return home through the Adirondacks probably roughly along Rt 3, Rt 30, Rt 28, Rt 8, something like that.

I will probably attend a few BMWMOV events. Of course I am hoping to return to Nova Scotia for the Salty Fog Rally. I will probably make a couple runs to Maine. I will probably attend Americade which is in my backyard and stop by PaulBachs "Little Gig".

Thats about all I know. I don't like to plan too much.

I plan on doing what I call the Tour de NY. I go all over but I have never really explored my own state. One day one, since I live in the Capital District, I will head west on the Great Western Turpike. I will stop along the way in tiny town of Chittenango, NY, once an Erie canal hamlet, is the home of L. Frank Baum, of "Wizard of Oz" fame. Then I will head for Seneca Lake, possibly visit some vineyards, and spend the night in Watkins Glen.
Day 2 I plan to drive the old Formula 1 road course. The first Watkins Glen Sports Car Grand Prix, however, was held in 1948 on public streets in and near the village. Organized by local resident Cameron Argetsinger, it was the first post-WWII road race held in the United States and it marked the revival of American road racing.

The original course ran for 6.6 miles and passed through the center of the village. The streets used for the original course remain intact today and a checkered flag marks the original start-finish line on the village's main street.

Then I will head for Jamestown NY to visit the Desi and Lucy Musuem. Then I will head for Niagara Falls to spend my evening on the Canadian side of the border at Clifton Hill.

Day 3 I will return to the states and ride along Lake Ontario to Thousand Islands Park to stay with some friends for the evening.

Day 4 I will return home through the Adirondacks probably roughly along Rt 3, Rt 30, Rt 28, Rt 8, something like that.

I will probably attend a few BMWMOV events. Of course I am hoping to return to Nova Scotia for the Salty Fog Rally. I will probably make a couple runs to Maine. I will probably attend Americade which is in my backyard and stop by PaulBachs "Little Gig".

Thats about all I know. I don't like to plan too much.

I'm a firm believer that we need to start our trips in our our state. When I lived in SC I rode around the entire edge of the state, covering hundreds of miles. I'd notice scenic beauty and mark the spot in my mind so that on a photo ride I could return and capture the spot on a beautiful day.

Since moving to the Pacific Northwest my options have increased ten fold. I recently watched an Oregon Public Broadcast documentary on my new home state of Oregon. I was amazed at how much of this state I still have to see. Where do I find the time to do it justice? Nothing like trying. LOL Keep Riding!!!

Our Little Adventure

:type Mary and I are setting out on May 28th for a 11-12,000 miles adventure mostly in the U.S. It will take about 6 1/2 weeks. I have started a blog at

www.bobandmaryontheroad.blogspot.com

To date I only have design, preliminary mapping and a few words done. This route is morphing a bit as some forum members have offered routing advice, 'must see-must do' advice, bike related resources (ie tires), lodging option and, our greatest note of appreciation to those who have offered their personal hospitality. We will do our best to update this blog as often as possible prior to the trip as well as when on the road. -Bob

:type Mary and I are setting out on May 28th for a 11-12,000 miles adventure mostly in the U.S. It will take about 6 1/2 weeks. I have started a blog at

www.bobandmaryontheroad.blogspot.com

To date I only have design, preliminary mapping and a few words done. This route is morphing a bit as some forum members have offered routing advice, 'must see-must do' advice, bike related resources (ie tires), lodging option and, our greatest note of appreciation to those who have offered their personal hospitality. We will do our best to update this blog as often as possible prior to the trip as well as when on the road. -Bob
Nice Bob! I will add a link to it on my blog. I will follow it for sure.

2008 Trip Planning

After I get my 2000 R1100RT together, my wife and I will take a few day trip around Illinois to see it I can count on it. The major goal is to be prepared for Gillette.

My main concern is the FD. The R1100RT has 32,000 on it and I have heard horror stories about them just locking up without warning. I suspect it is OK. Any advice?

Pictures: www.cyclecranks.com/BMW_R1100RT.html

The Alps as usual. Yes I know, this will be my 14th year in a row...they're just kind of hard to beat when it comes to motorcycling paradise.

Summer Trips

First year as BMW Rider (ex Harley Ultra)

Planning trip Newfoundland, Rider's Workshop PA, lots of 1-3 day trips (Lake Superior, etc) Contemplating Wyoming Rally

Time, money and my Bride of 30 years are factors.....

Rally's Rides and Trips

I classify my riding into 3 basic types I will do this summer. . .for example. . . .
Rally's 1. RoadRunner's Rally at Heber AZ about 600 miles from Canon City, Co.
2. Red Rock Rondezvous at Panguich UT again about 600 miles but south
to see Monument Valley, San Luis Rive Gooseneck Overlook and Moki
Dugway then the ferry over Lake Powell, Natural Bridge, Capital Reef
Grand STaircase etc.
3. Top of the Rockies in Paonia GS rides with geology and history by
yours truely.
Rides 1. 100,000 Foot Ride 10 mountain passes and about 550 miles in one day.
2. a lot of one day rides from Canon City, Pikes Peak, Highway of Ledgends ect.
Trips 1. How about down to Houston in the summer. . .fun but my wifes parents live there.
2. Laughlin in 2 weeks yea!
Throw in an Iron Butt maybe Border to Border to keep life interesting.

gpodzo

The Alps in September

Wanted to do this my whole life!

Finally get around to doing it and the dollar is getting swallowed up by the EURO right now.

I'll get over it and enjoy it anyway!

I classify my riding into 3 basic types I will do this summer. . .for example. . . .
Rally's 1. RoadRunner's Rally at Heber AZ about 600 miles from Canon City, Co.
2. Red Rock Rondezvous at Panguich UT again about 600 miles but south
to see Monument Valley, San Luis Rive Gooseneck Overlook and Moki
Dugway then the ferry over Lake Powell, Natural Bridge, Capital Reef
Grand STaircase etc.
3. Top of the Rockies in Paonia GS rides with geology and history by
yours truely.
Rides 1. 100,000 Foot Ride 10 mountain passes and about 550 miles in one day.
2. a lot of one day rides from Canon City, Pikes Peak, Highway of Ledgends ect.
Trips 1. How about down to Houston in the summer. . .fun but my wifes parents live there.
2. Laughlin in 2 weeks yea!
Throw in an Iron Butt maybe Border to Border to keep life interesting.

gpodzo

I live in Colo Springs, just up the road. My son, who lives in Austin and also has a beemer, is riding out to Las Vegas for a company event the first week in May. Then, he and I will rendezvous in Moab Friday, May 9 and plan to spend 5 or 6 days exploring Arches, Canyonland, etc before heading back to the Springs via the scenic route (to be selected later).

I, too, may try the 100,000 Foot ride so let me know for sure and maybe we can ride up to the "launch site" together.

I'll miss the TOR event this year. The wife and I have an Alaska cruise scheduled at that time.

regards

My two major events this summer is the John Day Rally in Oregon and the National in Gillette.

HOWEVER

My wife will be well into the third trimester of her first pregnancy, so I don't know how optimistic I am about either, particularly the national.

I guess it all depends on how she's feeling. . . . So far she makes it look easy, but every day is new.

If all goes as planned ...

Have a photo shoot in Los Mochis in the 1st part of April. Planning on retracing this route from last year on the GS. There's a couple "hard way" routes in & out of the Copper Canyon region I want to solo the GS through. Ride will start with a cross-border ironbutt from my place to Los Mochis on pavement - by that time my rear Tourance will be toast, so I'll spoon on some TKC's & hit the dirt for the rest of the ride.

jonglobemap.jpg

2nd photo link: Group ride though same area.

Next three weekends are all about exploring Baja...

sundays; 5 p.m. ETD

My plans are to leave from work, in the heart of Chicago, as many Sunday evenings as I can, at 5P, and drive one way or the other till I find a good place to stop for the night. Then get up the next morning and ride all day w plenty of food, coffee, ice-cream and goof-around stops, leaving myself an EZ day's drive back to work on Tuesday evening. Camping, cigars, beerverages, minor league baseball, idle BS, and NO rush-hour traffic.

So I'm headed thru WI and over the U.P. And down toward SW Ohio, Out to the fun SW Wisconsin riding, Touch Canadia and come back, say hello to Kentucky, or Missouri. Miles of smiles.

...and don't forget the Chi Reg Monday Nite Hot Dog Rides!:dance

Cross continent 2/3

I'll load up the R100RS with some clothes, camping gear, espresso maker a few cigars (yup, cubans because we can), my camera and leave Ontario and head over top of the Lakes and angle down slowly to Gillette. In Gillette I am meeting 2 other airhead-riding friends making their way from Vancouver. Once we are done with the Rally we'll head back towards Vancouver (BC) with the exact route probably decided the morning we leave.

My girlfriend will be surfing in Tofino so I'll meet her in Vancouver and we'll suit up for a ride back across the Rockies through BC. The current plan is to drop her off in Calgary where she will fly home and I'll keep on truckin' back towards Ontario. I think I'll loop a bit north through the Prairies and drop down through Northern Ontario.

Being from Halifax, but now living in Ontario, I feel a bit ripped off that I am not doing a true trans-continental and back, but at 8800 estimated kilometers it is still shaping up for a good trip.

A second mini-trip will be the RA rally in Michigan Upper Peninsula this June. I had already planned to do a loop around Lake Huron and the rally is only a few miles further so ta-dah that's my second trip.

Best wishes to everyone out there this summer on two wheels! I'll wave!

Hope I can pull this off.
Round trip from Milw. to Tucson,Las Vegas, Albuquerue and back home in late April thru early May.
The R/A at Houghton-Hancock MI. in June.
The MOA and maybe the Lunatic Fringe in July.
The Wi. Dells Rally in September.
I Hope I can squeze a trip to Seattle, Oregon and down the coast stopping in Vegas again before riding back home in fall.
All this on my new RT that I pick up on Saturday. Yippee!

I'll load up the R100RS with some clothes, camping gear, espresso maker a few cigars (yup, cubans because we can), my camera and leave Ontario and head over top of the Lakes and angle down slowly to Gillette. In Gillette I am meeting 2 other airhead-riding friends making their way from Vancouver. Once we are done with the Rally we'll head back towards Vancouver (BC) with the exact route probably decided the morning we leave.

My girlfriend will be surfing in Tofino so I'll meet her in Vancouver and we'll suit up for a ride back across the Rockies through BC. The current plan is to drop her off in Calgary where she will fly home and I'll keep on truckin' back towards Ontario. I think I'll loop a bit north through the Prairies and drop down through Northern Ontario.

Being from Halifax, but now living in Ontario, I feel a bit ripped off that I am not doing a true trans-continental and back, but at 8800 estimated kilometers it is still shaping up for a good trip.

A second mini-trip will be the RA rally in Michigan Upper Peninsula this June. I had already planned to do a loop around Lake Huron and the rally is only a few miles further so ta-dah that's my second trip.

Best wishes to everyone out there this summer on two wheels! I'll wave!

Ahhh Vacouver. Do these look familiar to you Grant? I've only been to Canada once and remember the trip fondly.

174378193_6aYBC-L.jpg

265101227_YJL4J-L.jpg

The one I am REALLY looking forward to this year is Patagonia in December.
A higher resolution version of this shot is my desktop wallpaper.

TorresDelPaine.jpg

The one I am REALLY looking forward to this year is Patagonia in December.
A higher resolution version of this shot is my desktop wallpaper.

TorresDelPaine.jpg

now that picture I like very much. I wish myself such success in my own ventures with a camera. -Bob

Back