• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Which one is better? Fuel injectors

I don`t believe I am going to ask this but I can`t resist spending more $ on this $1500.00 motorcycle. Which fuel injectors are better the Tills from Germany or the ones from the Euro Motoelectrics?

I don`t believe I am going to ask this but I can`t resist spending more $ on this $1500.00 motorcycle. Which fuel injectors are better the Tills from Germany or the ones from the Euro Motoelectrics?

I bought mine from Injector Rehab. They were shipped without the adapters/spacers. Had to contact them for the spacers before the injectors could be installed.

The bike ran much smoother but with these injectors I was unable to properly do a TBS with my Harmonized unit. Mechanics also had difficulty. Discovered that my plugs were constantly fouling and on one occasion left me stranded. :banghead

Dealership could not do a TBS until the original injectors were re-installed. All is now well. :thumb

I read hundreds of positive comments on Adventure Riders, with no mention of plug fouling. Figured I got a bad set. :dunno

I used Tills, no issues. Easy swap. Not much in the way of tracking info but only took about two weeks from the time I ordered to get them. I installed the injectors before I ever really rode the RT so no idea how it ran before, but I don't notice any hesitation or anything else, bike runs great.

In other threads, and also on the Tills site, it is pointed out that Tills actually matches the injectors for identical flow, which is where some of the "smoothness" comes from, while the Euro site has no mention of this at all, even with their two-pack set of new injectors.

I installed a Tills set on my '00 R1100 RT a couple of years ago. The kit was complete but the instructions didn't exactly match the hardware (instructions mistakenly assumed the kit included pre-assembled mounting adapter hardware) but I was able to figure out how to build the "sub-assemblies" based on not-very-clear photos and looking at a R1200 parts fiche.

The (subtle, subjective) results were somewhat smoother off-idle throttle behavior (less jerky), a little more "pull" at lower rpm, and a bit quicker throttle response.

I had no trouble getting them to synch, but the bike now idles at 1100-1200 rpm - smoothly - even with the idle adjust screws fully seated. Not sure if or how this is related to the replacement. I have been unable to find any air leaks; I plan to re-install the old units one of these days to see if that makes a difference, but since the bike ran OK in this condition on a 8,000 mile trip it's not a high priority right now.

I bought mine from Injector Rehab. They were shipped without the adapters/spacers. Had to contact them for the spacers before the injectors could be installed.

The bike ran much smoother but with these injectors I was unable to properly do a TBS with my Harmonized unit. Mechanics also had difficulty. Discovered that my plugs were constantly fouling and on one occasion left me stranded. :banghead

Dealership could not do a TBS until the original injectors were re-installed. All is now well. :thumb

I read hundreds of positive comments on Adventure Riders, with no mention of plug fouling. Figured I got a bad set. :dunno

Is your bike a 1998 R1100RT? Do you have a closed loop coding plug and a working O2 sensor?

If you don’t, the R1200 injectors add too much fuel at idle.

Is your bike a 1998 R1100RT? Do you have a closed loop coding plug and a working O2 sensor?

If you don’t, the R1200 injectors add too much fuel at idle.

Yes Roger it is '98 but I do not know the answer to your questions regarding the closed loop coding plug and a working O2 sensor.

How would a very un-mechanical individual determine these?

The MAX parts show your cat code plug should be the "golden brown" one; lift the seat, unclip the top of the fusebox, and it's in the second column and leftmost, by the top of the column of fuses.

Determining if your O2 sensor is actually working is difficult without test equipment; search "Similar Threads" or use the forum advanced search function.

Do you have a specific complaint?

Does your bike run well?

Are you expecting that your analog bike will perform as well as CAN-BUS bike?

If your bike performs like mine, limited with with 5 speed tranny, no electronic cruise, but can climb hills like a bulldozer and burns off the chicken strips on tires pretty damn fast and can make you pee a little at top end, is there really an issue that requires $1200.00, spreadsheet analyzing, coding plug colour, the endless amount of analyzing a certified classic bike?

Take the $2000.00 to sell your bike, save the $1200.00 on injectors and put another $2000.00 into a 1200RT.

Paul_F,

The coding plug, if you have one, is located in the white socket it your electrical box. What do you see there?

If you have a stock exhaust, the O2 sensor will be where the two header pipes meet.
RB

E6506A0D-667D-480B-93C9-4DDF183EFF66.jpg

Btw, The tills.de injectors are very well matched and at about $180 for the pair aren’t too expensive. That said, I bought a pair for my ‘01 R1150GS and found that all they did was add a little smoothness. IMO, the AF-XIED is more bang for the buck.

Paul_F,

The coding plug, if you have one, is located in the white socket it your electrical box. What do you see there?

If you have a stock exhaust, the O2 sensor will be where the two header pipes meet.
RB

View attachment 75998

Btw, The tills.de injectors are very well matched and at about $180 for the pair aren’t too expensive. That said, I bought a pair for my ‘01 R1150GS and found that all they did was add a little smoothness. IMO, the AF-XIED is more bang for the buck.

Roger, below is a pic of my fuse box. What does this tell you?

As well, I don't know if this is a factor :dunno , but I had a low mileage California OEM exhaust installed on my Canadian beemer. Would that affect anything?

My '98 R1100RT is not as smooth as with the GS 1200 injectors, but I can certainly live with the plugs being reliable.

Attachments

• R1100RT Fuse Box.jpg
    R1100RT Fuse Box.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 169
Yes. You have the yellow coding plug which means closed loop should work unless someone disconnected the O2 sensor (under the tank). With the O2 and Closed Loop working, the matched R1200 injectors should work perfectly. The extra fuel they spray at low engine load is quickly compensated by the motronic and your plugs won’t foul. So since they did, something is not quite right.

Yes. You have the yellow coding plug which means closed loop should work unless someone disconnected the O2 sensor (under the tank). With the O2 and Closed Loop working, the matched R1200 injectors should work perfectly. The extra fuel they spray at low engine load is quickly compensated by the motronic and your plugs won’t foul. So since they did, something is not quite right.

The next time the bike is at a dealer, I'll have the O2 sensor and closed loop checked.

Thank you for the advice, Roger.:thumb

Paul

Do you have a specific complaint?

Does your bike run well?

Are you expecting that your analog bike will perform as well as CAN-BUS bike?

If your bike performs like mine, limited with with 5 speed tranny, no electronic cruise, but can climb hills like a bulldozer and burns off the chicken strips on tires pretty damn fast and can make you pee a little at top end, is there really an issue that requires $1200.00, spreadsheet analyzing, coding plug colour, the endless amount of analyzing a certified classic bike?

Take the $2000.00 to sell your bike, save the $1200.00 on injectors and put another $2000.00 into a 1200RT.

Dieselyoda. My bike does run well. Analog or canbus. Don’t care. It does run great so I will leave it along for now. I do appreciate everyone’s feedback and I learn a lot about the fuel injectors on these bikes. Again thanks everyone for their feedback.

I had a look at my bike's coding plug, and it is orange, what does that mean for a 1998 R1100r bike?
(don't mean to hijack the thread... but the Tills injectors did make a noticeable improvement in my case)

The MAX parts list shows a red plug - but if the bike starts easily, runs well, doesn't pop on decel, gets decent mileage (over 40 mpg on a long straight) and doesn't smoke... can't argue with what works...

Roger has an excellent review of which plug is for which bike, from a May 2015 (?) post. Search for "CCP Coding Explained".

The MAX parts list shows a red plug - but if the bike starts easily, runs well, doesn't pop on decel, gets decent mileage (over 40 mpg on a long straight) and doesn't smoke... can't argue with what works...

Roger has an excellent review of which plug is for which bike, from a May 2015 (?) post. Search for "CCP Coding Explained".

Here’s the thread you’re referring to: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...-R1150-Decoded&p=994823&viewfull=1#post994823

I had a look at my bike's coding plug, and it is orange, what does that mean for a 1998 R1100r bike?
(don't mean to hijack the thread... but the Tills injectors did make a noticeable improvement in my case)

As Paul mentioned you’ve probably got a orange-like Yellow plug for the R1100RT in Closed Loop. Plug swaps were usually an attempt to improve surging. The stock closed-loop plug for an 1100R is Pink (Rose). The differences are small.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link (I only saved parts of it in .txt!) and all the work that went into it! :thumb

Back