• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

muffler question

R75rider

On an early model K100 there is a square piece with a horse shoe slot cut into it made onto the muffler... in front of that a few inches there is a rubber mounted stud of some sort. What goes there?

Is there any online microfiche to look at?

TIA, Randy

From your description I'd say you are looking at the mounting points for a heat shield the early K's had mounted to the muffler. They are somewhat notorious for getting loose and rattling in a most annoying fashion.

Steve

R75rider said:
On an early model K100 there is a square piece with a horse shoe slot cut into it made onto the muffler... in front of that a few inches there is a rubber mounted stud of some sort. What goes there?

Is there any online microfiche to look at?

TIA, Randy

What year K100? Standard model? Let me know and I'll see if I can rustle up a drawing.

Well that's a problem, I don't know the year for sure and the shop I'm going to buy it from doesn't have the title yet, so that's what we're waiting on.

He said it was a 85 or 86 model and from what I've been able to find it looks like a standard. I've got my camera laid out so I'll try to get a pic of it this evening to post and you guys can tell me what it is for sure. I'll take one of the muffler too while I'm at it.

Randy

The spots in question are for mounting the heat shield. I'm at work were the monitor is a little dark but the bike looks to be a 85. I'll look when I get home on my computer to make for sure.

Looks like an 85, judging by the lack of grab handles on the tail cone.

Here's what bolts on there. If you want, I can probably come up with a parts list.

Attachments

• muffler exploded.jpg
    muffler exploded.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 102
Wow, I think I can see how that would rattle! That's longer than I envisioned from just looking at the mounting points. Actually it doesn't look bad the way it is, but does any company make a different muffler for this bike that you gentlemen know of?

Back