• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Things they shouldn't let people like me do.....

okiegman

Test ride a new K1600GTL would be at the top of that list....WOW

So I've had the hots for one of these bikes for some time but my local dealer hasn't had a demo for me (and wife) to test ride. Yesterday while riding to a BMW club meeting the dealer left me a message that they had a demo in and it was ready to ride. I immediately called my wife (we live 100+ miles away) and told her. She and my daughter were at a 5k run and she said once they were done they would clean up and head my way for a test ride and to do some shopping. Well, as fate would have it, after the run her truck wouldn't start (bad battery) and she wasn't able to make it before the dealer would close. I stopped by the dealer to tell them we would do it some other day and he conned me into going ahead and riding it solo....WOW (again).

Reason to consider a K16

1.) My wife doesn't like to ride pillion on my R12GS, she says it's not comfortable.
2.) Power of the K16
3.) Way smooth power of the K16
4.) Did I mention the POWER
5.) Comfort of K16 - I only rode about 30 miles but found it to be very comfy.

My original plan was to keep my R12GS and add the K16 for 2-up riding but after yesterday I'm thinking of selling the old gal and completely redoing my stable. I also have two Honda CRF230F's for wife and I and the kids have a Honda XR80 and XR100 each. I bought the 230's because they were a steal, knowing it wasn't the bike I wanted (a little small frame wise) for me but that my kids would grow into them. Well my daughter has taken over one and my son is not far behind. So now I'm thinking of selling the R12GS, buying a K16 and then buying myself something in the 450-800 range for my dirt/off road needs.

We will try next weekend to get the wife on it and see what she thinks - that may seal my fate. I will keep you posted if there is any interest.

Thoughts, prayers, advise?

As far as I know we only get one crack at this life... if it is within your means and has the blessing of the SWMBO; submit to the force...

If it fits in The Total Money Makeover plan and it's what you want to do then by all means do it.

Update

So yesterday we were back at the dealer for a test ride. Once again I found the K16GTL to be a hoot to ride, wife said it was MUCH more comfortable than my R12GS but....

She's still not able to relax on the bike. I was out of riding when we met and eventually married. I didn't get back on a bike until '07 and she has ridden very little mainly due to having small children at home. Our kids are just now getting to the age where they can be left at home for periods of time (not overnight yet). I'm hoping with more time in the saddle she will learn to relax and enjoy the ride. I guess only time will tell on that front, she may end up never learning to relax and therefore 2-up rides may not materialize. I still really enjoy riding the K16 and will probably still get one, sell my R12GS and as previously stated buy a dual sport in the 450-800 range.

I was hoping she would get off the bike with a smile ear to ear and say WOW that was fun. She got off and said "That's much more comfortable" but, after many years of marriage I could still see the anxiety in her face.

We'll see what happens.

I got back into riding myself about 9 years ago brought my new bride in with me. For the past 12 months we've put about 12k on a 2013 GTL (all pleasure miles) and we love it. The power and torque on this bike has forced me to step up my game and learn more about riding than I learned the hard way as a kid. It's been a fun adventure and we look forward to many more years of happiness on it. The only drawback I've seen to the bike so far is that it eats tires. I'm getting ~5k miles per set. My right wrist has allot to do with that. :D

So yesterday we were back at the dealer for a test ride. Once again I found the K16GTL to be a hoot to ride, wife said it was MUCH more comfortable than my R12GS but....

She's still not able to relax on the bike. I was out of riding when we met and eventually married. I didn't get back on a bike until '07 and she has ridden very little mainly due to having small children at home. Our kids are just now getting to the age where they can be left at home for periods of time (not overnight yet). I'm hoping with more time in the saddle she will learn to relax and enjoy the ride. I guess only time will tell on that front, she may end up never learning to relax and therefore 2-up rides may not materialize. I still really enjoy riding the K16 and will probably still get one, sell my R12GS and as previously stated buy a dual sport in the 450-800 range.

I was hoping she would get off the bike with a smile ear to ear and say WOW that was fun. She got off and said "That's much more comfortable" but, after many years of marriage I could still see the anxiety in her face.

We'll see what happens.

Do you know exactly why she's uncomfortable? Is it just being a passenger in general, or wind buffeting, etc? I had to get an after market windshield for my wife and the Aeroflow Wings to make her more comfortable.

Do you know exactly why she's uncomfortable? Is it just being a passenger in general, or wind buffeting, etc? I had to get an after market windshield for my wife and the Aeroflow Wings to make her more comfortable.

I think wind buffeting and I would guess general fear. I agree the wind buffeting can be dealt with and the K16 deals with the general comfort much better than my R12GS. After I wrote my update she told me that when we got on the highway in traffic she closed her eyes for fear of certain death. I'm not an aggressive rider with she or the kids on board and not that aggressive when solo. I would really like for her to relax and enjoy riding as much as I do.

I'm close to pulling the trigger and getting the bike.

Help her learn to trust you more OFF the bike. Play a game. Go for a walk around your town, farm, condo complex, property, whatever. Do this holding hands with one of you blindfolded ( her first) and the other (you) leading. Talk to each other a lot at first, point out upcoming dangers like steps or gopher holes. As she becomes more confident in you(this will take time), she will hold onto you with less of a death grip, she will not need so much verbal input. She will start to pick up on invisible and silent clues as to what you are about to do next. She will also learn that you are keenly aware of keeping her safe. This MAY make her more comfortable on the bike but even if it doesn't, it's still good for your relationship.

Excellent Idea

^^^^^

I will have to give this a shot. Part of the problem on the test ride was we had no communication. I use a wired system on my R12GS so for our test ride we were unable to communicate at all. We usually talk quite a bit when riding and that seems to relieve some of her anxiety. What's odd is in the 20+ years we've been together I've never had any kind of accident with her in the car (I've only had 2 very minor fender bender's) so it's not like her basis for anxiety is founded in poor cage driving. She's afraid of "silly" things, when riding I've tried to get her to relax and put her arms in the wind (like we all did as kids out of the car window) and she'll make statements that she might fall off the bike. I've told her she would struggle to jump off the bike at highway speeds much less fall off. I've also told her if for some strange reason we do go down she shouldn't hold onto the bike, that she should get as far away from that sliding 700# hunk of metal as she can.

She will point out reported motorcycle accidents to me as if to say "see, this is why I'm afraid". I always point out the cardinal mistakes made by the rider. We live in a state without helmet laws I seem to be one of the very few who wear a ATGATT. There was a fatality reported the other day she pointed out to me and at least I've trained her enough now she can see their mistakes, in this case leaving a bar at 2am, no helmet (or anything else protective) and riding too fast - I always point out I don't do any of those things.

Time will tell - I like your idea and will give it a try. I also think (hope) more time in the saddle will help. I am five years from being eligible to retire, we were talking the other day about what we're going to do and both want to travel - I hope we can agree on the mode when the time comes.

P.S. - I will be honest - we live on a lake and years ago (before we had kids) borrowed a wave runner. She made statements that I couldn't, and if I knew what was best for me, shouldn't throw her off. Well, I did, and laughed and laughed as I watched her skip across the water like a flat rock - until she came up and gave me the "LOOK" only a wife can give a husband. Turns out there's a price to pay for impetuous acts, I just didn't know I was on the lifelong payment plan.:banghead

Well, Saturday I bit the bullet and picked up a new K1600GTL Exclusive, then it rained all weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Congrats on your purchase! Yes, silly things we do to our wives tend to come back to haunt. I needed to get the large Cee Bailey and Aerowings for my bride due to the buffeting. That's primarily why she was uncomfortable. She's also a control freak, as am I. She teases that sometimes she uses her "fake brake" to slow us down. As I've got back into riding she has also want tended training with me, watched me be a student of the sport, and watched my skill level increase. Involving her in the process, explaining concepts and safety strategies to her also helped build confidence. All this takes time and it is a very worthy investment.

It might also be beneficial to introduce her to other passengers so she can be positively influenced by experienced pillions. in which state are you located?

Congrats on your purchase! Yes, silly things we do to our wives tend to come back to haunt. I needed to get the large Cee Bailey and Aerowings for my bride due to the buffeting. That's primarily why she was uncomfortable. She's also a control freak, as am I. She teases that sometimes she uses her "fake brake" to slow us down. As I've got back into riding she has also want tended training with me, watched me be a student of the sport, and watched my skill level increase. Involving her in the process, explaining concepts and safety strategies to her also helped build confidence. All this takes time and it is a very worthy investment.

It might also be beneficial to introduce her to other passengers so she can be positively influenced by experienced pillions. in which state are you located?

I see where you are now. A little far for a weekend ride for us. ;-)

You're the one!

You just couldn't stand it. Don't ever test ride a K1600 if you're not ready to buy. You can't ride one and not get it! \\\\ You sent me an email asking about the bluetooth, right?
Now we need to go riding. You wanna ride this Saturday?

Well, Saturday I bit the bullet and picked up a new K1600GTL Exclusive, then it rained all weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back