• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hotel or camp poll

Are you going to hotel or camp at the national?

• Camp - I'm no sissy

Votes: 35 47.9%
  • Hotel - I'm not a caveman

Votes: 29 39.7%
  • Hotel - but I'm bringing my camping stuff

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Bed and Breakfast - I love scones and comforters

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
I typically try to motel it at the National if I can be REAL close. Moodus was probably the best example of this. Hey! Let's go back there!!

I'll camp if I have to, especially if the hotels are a long way away (Redmond), but if hotels are close (Durango), I like to shower without having to look at a bunch of other naked guys.

YMMV, or course. I'm *really* looking forward to Charleston!

:clap

I go where ever the Yankee Beemer Toy Box goes. Then I pitch my tent near by. It's like a family outing that 6000 other people happened to attend.
:jester

There should still be rooms left in the area, but maybe the moderators could set up a forum , where the members here could post any extra reserved rooms that they may have available, or rooms that they may need to cancel if they can't go for whatever reasons. This way our members could have first chance at them.
Just a thought.

BMWGreenRT said:
There should still be rooms left in the area, but maybe the moderators could set up a forum , where the members here could post any extra reserved rooms that they may have available, or rooms that they may need to cancel if they can't go for whatever reasons. This way our members could have first chance at them.
Just a thought.

I think if folks have an extra room, it's easy enough to click "Start a New Thread" under the rally forum and title it "Have a Spare Room".

Don't forget, it's your forum, and you can start threads whenever and, within reason, about whatever you'd like.

Thanks for getting aboard, folks!

:mona

Haven't decided yet. Suppose it'll depend on job situations ($$) - cuz I like to motel it, as well, for the same reason Dave mentioned. Yes, I do NOT want to look at hairy, naked guys. :)

I'll be hotelling it, as I'm afraid my camping days are past. Interestingly, I just looked at the reservation form on the MOA site and saw that the Fairfield Inn where I'm staying shows a rate of $79. I made my own reservation a few months ago with an AARP discount for $53. Big difference!

Well, that settles it

ctthayer said:
Hey, I ride a Dancin' Big Girl. I'm *required* to hotel it, aren't I??? ;)

From here on out K12LTs will be known as DBGs.

dave

Re: Well, that settles it

KBasa said:

dave

Oh man, you just gave me a great idea! I gotta go check the VA license plate thingy!

Attachments

• 20150906_182101.jpg
    20150906_182101.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20151014_170606.jpg
    20151014_170606.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20151014_170758.jpg
    20151014_170758.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 2015-10-14 19.43.20.jpg
    2015-10-14 19.43.20.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 2015-10-14 19.44.20.jpg
    2015-10-14 19.44.20.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1
  • beemer 2.jpg
    beemer 2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 0
Re: Well, that settles it

KBasa said:

dave

Hmm. Virginia license plate poll (6 spaces, max):

Just plain DBG is already taken.
DA DBG, THEDBG, MY DBG, LILDBG LT DBG, DBG LT?

So, I went with BMWDBG. :) It should be here the last week in April.

Attachments

• MY_R1200RT.jpg
    MY_R1200RT.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 0
Re: Re: Well, that settles it

ctthayer said:
So, I went with BMWDBG. :) It should be here the last week in April.

kbasa was just kidding...DBG actually stands for Damn Big Girl. But we won't tell anyone ;)

Re: Re: Re: Well, that settles it

fish said:
kbasa was just kidding...DBG actually stands for Damn Big Girl. But we won't tell anyone ;)

I had been thinking that it could also mean Damned Big Gut, but I ain't castin' no aspersions about the uh, somewhat less than svelte physiques of some of the members of the uh, touring, uh... hey, we *are* talking about Wing riders here, right? ;)

My wife likes to camp, I like to camp ... however since this is our first rally and our first long distance motorcycle trip we decided to hotel it. :snore

If I don't just commute (2hours), I'll camp. I just a cheap bastage. Oh wait, this is a BMW forum - so I'm not cheap, I'm frugal!:brow

Rooms

Just made reservations at a Knights Inn. All ground floor rooms. On MacCorkle Ave,Drive ??? 2 nights only $98.00 including tax, out the door. . Still have about 70 room left for that time period :cat :clap

Last edited:
Camp or not to camp, that is the question!

I have spent considerable time in Charleston in July on business, and you can expect it to be HOT and MUGGY! If the Chemical plants are up and running, the humid evening air can be quite fragrant as well! Especially if you are staying up the Kanawha River towards St. Albans or Nitro.

Therefore I am staying at the Embassy Suites with a Jacuzzi and pool, not to mention a fantastic breakfast bar. I will walk to the convention center for the daytime activities, ride the shuttle to the beer garden in the evening so I can drink with out worry and then sleep in air conditioned luxury.

For those who might think I am a wuss......maybe I am, but I will have a great nights sleep.

PS I do several other camping rallies every year including helping out with the Four Winds BMW Riders Rally in Western PA, America's longest continously running BMW rally!

Back