• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A few questions

LCampbell

Bike: 2011 R1200RT with 47000 miles
It's been about a year & a half since I last used my GS-911 so when I logged on yesterday I was informed that a new version was available so I downloaded it. The new version indicated that my bike was not recognized & that I had to do an Auto Scan. The scan indicated that there had been a couple of minor faults but that they did not currently exist. Then I attempted to find where you select "Idle Actuator Calibration" & "Engine Synchronization" but I couldn't find either activity. Thinking that it may have been because the bike was not warmed up I took the bike out for a 10 mile ride ( I had already checked the valve adjustment ), installed the GS-911 turned it on (It again informed me that my bike was not recognized & that I had to do another Auto Scan) & again I could not find where to select "Idle actuator Calibration or Engine Synchronization " What might I be doing wrong?
Also I have a home made carb stick made from plans I found on the BMWRT website way back when I had a R1100RT. It's made from a long length of tubing mounted on a board with red ATF in the lines. Also have snubbers in the lines to minimize fluctuations. Would it be adequate to do the off idle Synchronization?
With the valve checked, the bike warmed up & with the carb stick (vacuum gauge) installed & the engine idling the vacuum gauge pulls hard on one side,. Any ideas???

First, I'm sorry that I can't help with the GS-911 questions. I have one, and have managed to figure out how to do precious little with it; mostly to reset the service reminder... I found the place to turn off the idle actuators once, but don't know where it lives on the program.

I don't ever lock the idle actuators, because the disengage at a fairly low RPM. Once they turn themselves off, locking them out is moote.

Your carb stick should be fine, especially with the snubbers. The other options are doing the same thing, just a little differently. Balancing a carb, or throttle body should be the same.

Your setup for throttle body sync sounds ok, I have a 2011 "R" with slightly more miles, and my throttle bodies have been pretty much spot on not needing any adjustment. As for the GS-911, I've refused to updated my software so I cannot help you there. I've found the hexcode people very responsive to email inquiry, but please let us know what you find out.

There are several YouTube videos about the use of a GS911; one may help you. Ted Porter at the BeemerShop is as knowledgeable as anyone on the GS911 and responsive to questions. If you search for GS911usa it will take you to a link run by Ted. Call or email him your questions: 831-438-1100, gs911@beemershop.com.

Thanks for the responses. I checked the throttle body sync I did yesterday with the home made carb stick again today but with my old mercury carb stick. Pretty much spot on & the bike seems much smother than before. Tomorrow I plan to get in touch with Hexcode to try & resolve what's the problem with my GS-911.

Back