• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Another new guy post in Central Missouri

wb5plj

Okay, hello, I'm Dwayne and live in Jefferson City MO. I thought I would fill out one of these introduction things (actually I have recycled this from another forum because I am just that lazy). I am not real good with bulletin boards, or rather not so natural. I am not antisocial just unused to it (I know, and I am a software developer, Enterprise Web apps. Weird.)

I am a Software Developer, SCUBA Diver, Kite Flier, Ham Radio Operator, Rock Climber, Coffee Roaster, Canoe Paddler, Trail Walker, Social Political Conjecture-er, Knowledge Consumer, Bad Daoist (or Taoist if you prefer the Pinyin System), World Traveler, Son, Brother, Idiotic Genius, Moderately Witted, Fairly well read, Sane, and Generally Stable with a tendency to Tilt at Windmills.

I just started riding again about a year and a half ago when a good friend shipped me one of his 'extra' bikes. A 2006 Buell XB12Ss. he thought it was a bit slow for him but liked the handling. humm. he is now riding a supped up Hyabusa.

buell.JPG

My friend gave me the jacket as well, good jacket but not my style, I have since replaced it. (ua, after sliding down Hwy179 on it)

I last rode in my twenties (half my life ago) and all on hard tails and cheap dirt bikes. So sport bikes (particularly such a short one when I am 6'2") has it's differences.

I find all of my bad habits have returned in force and I have managed to drop the bike a few times. Okay ill admit that I have always dropped my bikes (and crashed) a lot. I don't try to, nor am I proud of it, but you might as well know now.

It took me two months to crash and break my leg! (Smack! - 3rd Std. Deviation)

There is a trail of posts about the crash at Whats New? - 3rd Std. Deviation

But I got the bike fixed up while I was on the mend and got back on it promptly. I guess I decided that Bikes where back in my life seemingly to stay so I had better get rid of the Mad Buell and look for something matching my style a little more closely. I found the 2012 R1200GS Rally at a dealer in Cape Girardeau MO then put it in my Driveway.

beakey.jpg

I hope to meet you all, niceaties, salutations, and all that kind of thing.

Dwayne

Greetings from the Springfield area Dwayne!
I remember hardtails! (several of them & springers too!-gawd)
There is a good rally in Crane MO in July put on by the Springfield road riders....
http://www.motomo.org/Home_Page.php

I think you are going to enjoy the GS way more than the Buel
Ken
IBA#44567

Greetings from the Springfield area Dwayne!
I remember hardtails! (several of them & springers too!-gawd)
There is a good rally in Crane MO in July put on by the Springfield road riders....
http://www.motomo.org/Home_Page.php

I think you are going to enjoy the GS way more than the Buel
Ken
IBA#44567

Thanks Ken. I used to live in Springfield and visit several times a year. Yes they where not refined back then but they where cheep! You have no doubt heard the phrase "back yard bike" that is what mine was.

I am sure I will be there at the rally in Crane in July

I can respect the Buell. what it did well it was shockingly good at. but more of a match for my friend than for me. I do like the GS that is certain.

here is a short bit of video from the first time I rode it after getting it back in town on a trailer. I ended up with a maniacal laugh that says most of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw5ScgTQlVQ

Looks like Binder Lake.

Roy Parker in Columbia,
Kites (only 2 string),
AA0B (some QRP and kit building),
been out for 28 or so years
(Honda 500cx back then),
CMA,
30,000 miles on the K-bike in last 3 years.

Route 179 is a great get-outta-town ride.

Welcome to the forum! There are other ham radio operators here on the forum...here was a thread a while back:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=61307&

I watched the video...I kept waiting for you to start it! Damn, those things are quiet!!

cool, Sadly for the last few years the only real use of ham radio I have been up to has been to use it as a screen name here, there, and every ware. that is one no one has already taken. Then again Motorcycle mobile, I haven't done that before.

Looks like Binder Lake.

Roy Parker in Columbia,
Kites (only 2 string),
AA0B (some QRP and kit building),
been out for 28 or so years
(Honda 500cx back then),
CMA,
30,000 miles on the K-bike in last 3 years.

Route 179 is a great get-outta-town ride.

You get the Prize, you are correct that is Binder Lake.

My kites are
several single line kites(everything from clever pocket sized deltas, boxes, Cody, and many super cheap ones. there is something about a utterly cheap and horrible kite.)
A couple two line kites (a no-wind, a generic stunt, and a para-foil.)
and one small 3 meter traction four line kite.
Anything will do.

Ham,
Mostly HF then UHF/VHF for local utility (at least in KC, not so much here) mostly portable, low-power or improvised antennas. Mostly voice, I passed the CW test back when they still had it but never really developed it. some PSK31 but not much into other modes. I liked learning about antennas and am one of the guys that started the Strange Antenna Challenge with my friend Erik (N0EW). however I don't think I have turned on a rig in a hand full of years. short of a 2m HT.

I did ride up to Columbia for lunch with my Girlfriend when she was working at Shelter. took 179 and it was a beautiful ride. So I would agree.

Back