• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gloves and Fat Fingers

tommcgee

Unfunded content provider
Lots of motorcycle gloves tend to cut off the circulation in your fingers. An easy fix is to jam a fat broom handle into each finger for a few hours to stretch the leather/fabric. It might take two rounds of stretching, but I've always had success with this method.

When gloves have not fit just right, I have soaked them in water and then worn them riding until they dried. Then a leather conditioner can be used on cow hide to make it supple. Deer and elk skin seem not to need the conditioner, but I use it every now and again anyway.

When gloves have not fit just right, I have soaked them in water and then worn them riding until they dried. Then a leather conditioner can be used on cow hide to make it supple. Deer and elk skin seem not to need the conditioner, but I use it every now and again anyway.

The broom handle is much quicker for initial fit. Conditioners don't hurt either but take much longer.

glycerin is kind to leather & a good thing to add to the water when "fitting" the gloves as stated-also a good topical coating to smear on(ala hand lotion style) leather items. As my fingers are much smaller than a broom handle I have to vote for a custom fit-as size matters with gloves.

Lots of motorcycle gloves tend to cut off the circulation in your fingers. An easy fix is to jam a fat broom handle into each finger for a few hours to stretch the leather/fabric. It might take two rounds of stretching, but I've always had success with this method.

Good idea, Tom. :thumb

glycerin is kind to leather & a good thing to add to the water when "fitting" the gloves as stated-also a good topical coating to smear on(ala hand lotion style) leather items. As my fingers are much smaller than a broom handle I have to vote for a custom fit-as size matters with gloves.

The reality is that I'm very hard to fit when it comes to gloves. I've had custom gloves made by Vanson Leathers in Fall River, MA. They're great, but they don't come in all styles, you can't get goretex, etc.

I need gloves that feel good right away, just like shoes. I like gloves relatively loose. BMW or Held size 12/2XL is as big as they make and I can't bend my fingers in many styles of them. That's why I go for the broom (and yeah, my fingers are a lot smaller than a broom handle too) even skinny broom handles.

These are my faves at the moment, they come in 3XL. Lee Park Deerskin. Not waterproofed or armored though.

Like many of you, I own way too many pairs of motorcycling gloves. One pair, forget the brand, felt great in the store. Hadn't ridden two blocks and I knew I had to return them because of a seam that was VERY uncomfortable on the grips.

I now use (mostly) Held "Steve 2" and for colder or wet weather, Held "warm'ndry." My hands are happy in them.

Question: how do you clean and preserve dirty gloves? (I know I read this on this forum but I'm lazy.) The Steve's are looking pretty grungy but have lots of miles left in them.

Back