• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rust- on new exhaust

mojoman

Hi Everyone:

I have a 2017 R1200GS with only 3,000 kms. on it. I washed it yesterday and discovered loads of rust spots on the muffler. At first I thought they might just wipe off with a rag but no, these are rust spots. Has anyone had any issues with rust occurring on their mufflers? I am sending a couple of photos to my dealer and it should be covered under warranty.

All you have to do is look at the cross bar of your center stand. I am not sure what to do with it I just keep cleaning it and waxing it but that is pissing into the wind. It will need to come off and poder coated o save but still not sure how to protect te center bar of it? Maybe a clear plastic tube.

You would think rust would not be a issue on these bikes but I see fasteners that have bit around so I take them out, clean them up and install them again.

I use spray on truck bed liner. Still gets worn off, but can last 10,000 miles or so.

Rust

I sent photos of the rust to my BMW dealer and I am waiting for their response. I cannot see anything but a replacement for the rusted muffler. The had under 3,000 kms. on it when the rust appeared. My friend has the exact same bike but no rust and more mileage. I imagine it is just defective finishing on the exhaust surface. I will know soon and post the results. I write for a major Canadian magazine so they will no doubt treat me right.

Good News

A new muffler has been ordered from Germany by my dealer and is being replaced free of charge--as it should be.

:thumb
Thanks for the follow up.
OM
I'll add a bit to your title so others may find your results easier.

rust on exhaust

I have a 2016 GSA and noticed a little rust on muffler. Came right off with 000 steel wool. Your new muffler will rust too. Just a universal flaw in metal they used I think.

Back