• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Protect those dear to us....

B

belquar

Check out this link...

Pretty scary when you think about it, but it is good to stay aware. Keep your family safe.

Just enter your address in the appropriate fields and it will give you a map of your area and all the offenders nearby and what their crimes were.

http://www.familywatchdog.us/

Take care,
Brian

While this a good concept, just remember a few things....

1) Bad Data In, Bad Data Out
2) People still have to teach their kids to be the people you want them to be, this information just points out the KNOWN danger, there is still the unknown.

Just as a statement of how the data can be flawed, for one person it showed up four times at the same address and the same name......

I am not trying to make light of this issue, I think the key is teaching kids to be safe and aware.

I think the site's server is really really slow. It was doing that when I looked and then I checked the progress bar and saw that it was going slow. I have a really fast computer so I am sure it wasn't my computer. Given time each dot is a different person.

It messed my running up so bad I had to reboot.

Besides, I'd like to know where a bunch of other types of crooks live too.

The Veg said:
It messed my running up so bad I had to reboot.

Besides, I'd like to know where a bunch of other types of crooks live too.

Check your constitution, before it erodes away....

I agree also. We must be vigilant in teaching our kids to be safe. So much has changed since we were kids. I remember living in Japan as a kid and being able to safely wander around Yokota AFB and go off base without adults. I was only 7-10 yrs old at the time. Wouldn't dare do that today.

Los Angeles

Los Angeles in the forties. 9-12 years old, get on the streetcar and go downtown, the beach, Lincoln Park motorcycle races, baseball games, Elysian(sp?) park swimming, Bimini Plunge swimming, Venice Pier amusement park, and Santa Monica beach. All without adults!! We rode our bicycles down the Los Angeles River (dry). We didn't know that when it rains up in the mountains the river can fill up suddenly!! I probably should be dead instead of where I am.

Growing up in central fl, the only rules were be home when the street lights came on (70's). Y2k my kids NO WAY! To many :brad :brad out there.

Stuff2C said:
Growing up in central fl, the only rules were be home when the street lights came on (70's). Y2k my kids NO WAY! To many :brad :brad out there.

It was all that new math, and flouride in the water. :bolt

This is actually the safest time, in every way, to be alive. The difference is that fear and paranoia are much more rampant.

The Veg said:
This is actually the safest time, in every way, to be alive. The difference is that fear and paranoia are much more rampant.

I agree. Believe me, I dont want to get lost in Detroit, but I also wouldnt want to wander in on a gold mine in the 1850's.

Garbage in ...

The Veg said:

I totally agree.
There is way to much sway that people buy into, both conciously and conversely, with popular media fueling the flames of paranoia, hatred, fear and just plain stupidity.
Burn your TV.
Really.
To hell with TIVO!
Just ride, live and smile.

The Veg said:

thanks veg, i totally agree. people shelter their kids and i think it's all fear based, not data based.

username said:
thanks veg, i totally agree. people shelter their kids and i think it's all fear based, not data based.

yeah, its ridiculous the way kids are raised today, i remember way back in the 80s, when i was a wee lad, i used to spend all day in the countryside. now its all video games and "stay inside". poo poo to that, and another thing, ever notice how parents are the BIGGEST germ-a-phobes lately??? i eat off the floor regularly to keep myself resistant, and any kids i might one day have will be doing the same thing!

username said:

I agree that there are those that overshelter their kids, but when we were kids sex wasn't so "trendy" and generally didn't happen on the morning school bus ride. And generally kids didn't go to school with guns to kill other kids with. I don't believe in sheltering the kids but teaching them about what they see, hear, and do so that they know right from wrong and can make an informed decision. I too eat off the floor. Ain't killed me yet. My 5 mos old daughter dropped her little fishy, which she regularly puts in her mouth, on the floor of a convenience store this afternoon. I picked it up and gave it right back too her. I believe in letting the body do what it is meant to do. It is our responsibility to protect our loved ones by educating them properly. Part of that education is teaching them awareness of what is out there, not to persecute others who have committed crimes, but to caution them about who is possibly standing next to them at the supermarket. Ted Bundy lured most of his victims by faking a broken arm and struggling with groceries. He was an average looking guy, not disheveled, well dressed and well mannered. But a brutal killer. Probably would not have been successful with that ploy in this day and age as his MO would have been widely publicized on so many different forms of media.

Brian

Last edited:
Belquar said:
I agree that there are those that overshelter their kids, but when we were kids sex wasn't so "trendy" and generally didn't happen on the morning school bus ride. And generally kids didn't go to school with guns to kill other kids with. Ted Bundy ... was an average looking guy, not disheveled, well dressed and well mannered. But a brutal killer.

Brian

I see where you are going with this, and to some point I agree, Brian. Yet if we study history, we see that there really is nothing more new going on in the world than there was 100 years ago. For example, the Rape of Nanjing was a most devastating massacre; the civilian death tolls range from 260,000 to 350,000; even the conservative figure surpasses the Romans at Carthage (150,000), and the Christian Armies during the Spanish Inquisition.
The point is, using Nanjing as an example, that city's massacre lasted over seven days and the Japanese were documented as being cognizant of what they were doing. They did indeed have regret about their actions.

But that was one city, alone. The civilian death toll in the entire WWII Britain was 61,000, keeping in mind that those were mostly resulting from air raids lasting more than a mere 7 days.

I say all this, because in many ways, this country now, like in Japan before WWII, children are taught and conditioned by what they are exposed to. Ted Bundy was a nut. True.
What about that bimbo screaming at me with a cell phone in her hand, about nonsense All because she now has to drive her bulletproof Hummer down to school to pick up her kids, so she can bring him home and turn on the "news" where it is "safe"?

Back