• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bonehead Move....

armartel

I'm an idiot. This morning as I was checking fluids, I noticed that my oil was a bit low. It was early, I wasn't completely focused and when I put the funnel in the oil hole, I accidentally put it in to the sight hole for the fly wheel. Of course, the oil immediately started to puddle below the bike and I quickly realized my stupidity. Such an idiot. It wasn't that much oil since it was just a quick top up (but enough to drip out) and I cleaned it up and made sure it wasn't on the tires.

I rode it to work and it seems fine. Question for the community, what should I expect to happen (I assume there will be implications on the fly wheel and maybe the clutch plates?) and is there anything I can do to minimize the impact of the oil in there?

You're probably going to be OK. Pouring oil in there just runs to the bottom and then drains out the small opening onto the shelf below the transmission. The opening is there to allow oil that might be getting past the rear main seal or transmission seal to find a way out. If the oil didn't pool to any really height at the bottom of the bell housing, then likely it won't have touched the clutch plates. Might be all that will result is slinging oil around the inside which will be mess the next time you're in there.

Bonehead Move

you should be fine. The oil likely ran along the outside crankcase wall and simply exited at the bottom.

Bonehead moves happen to all of us.

Years ago I was setting the valves on my R90s, using a hex wrench on the alternator nut to rotate the motor.

I finished the adjustments and replace the valve covers and spark plugs.

Then went to start the motor...........The wrench quickly flew across the garage and put a very nice sized hole in the wall. Of course it ricocheted off the front fender first and cracked it. Boy did I feel dumb.

Been there

My friend and I did an oil change and valve adjust on his bike. When it came time to fill the oil, he put the funnel into the timing hole. He got most of a quart of oil before we noticed what was going on.

Shop towels and time got rid of it. No problem with the clutch. St.

First, since you were only topping off, I doubt you added enough oil to pool in the bottom of the bell housing and damage the clutch. Although, the oil most likely ran down the flywheel.

Second, you should have a rubber plug on that hole. That would have made it almost impossible to do, unless you were very tired.

WHY BE RUDE......??? Calling the fella names???.....Making him feel worse??

:scratch OH YES, we are perfect and by putting the fella down it makes us feel even more so...……….:banghead

For me....Getting ready to head out on our 4 or 5 week that includes a "NATIONAL"....Sonny boy, 13, riding 2 up with me on my 83 R80RT and wife riding her R65.....Must've been in the early 80's.
The valves and mechanicals had been done, fluids changed on my wife's, and all that was left was to put oil into mine.....Showed the boy where to put the oil that included a lesson in unscrewing the dipstick. " OK, let's go have a sandwich and you can do it in a bit". I said to him. Feet up relaxing watching the tube and Sonny Boy comes charging in with some kind of catastrophic news that OIL IS RUNNING OUT OF THE BOTTOM OF THE ENGINE!!!! OH NO!!!!

I picked up on his panic and got a bit excited myself...…….Poured the oil down the timing/flywheel sighting hole and it was draining out of the flywheel sump...……...OHHHH NO.....Heading out TOMORROW:dunno :scratch :dunno Started it, took it on a test ride. All was fine. Sonny felt bad enough without me pushing the knife into his broken heart any more...….."IT WILL BE FINE" ….."BMW in their engineering wisdom designed it that way so that even when OTTO did that on the Russian Front, all would be OK" ……….And it was:dance:dance :brad

Thousands and thousands of miles later on that trip and many more...…….NO DAMAGE NOR PROBLEM...……….Dont feel ignorant!!! We all do something Dumb As. some time or another.....Even MR PERFECT above...……..God bless....Dennis

:scratch OH YES, we are perfect and by putting the fella down it makes us feel even more so...……….:banghead

For me....Getting ready to head out on our 4 or 5 week that includes a "NATIONAL"....Sonny boy, 13, riding 2 up with me on my 83 R80RT and wife riding her R65.....Must've been in the early 80's.
The valves and mechanicals had been done, fluids changed on my wife's, and all that was left was to put oil into mine.....Showed the boy where to put the oil that included a lesson in unscrewing the dipstick. " OK, let's go have a sandwich and you can do it in a bit". I said to him. Feet up relaxing watching the tube and Sonny Boy comes charging in with some kind of catastrophic news that OIL IS RUNNING OUT OF THE BOTTOM OF THE ENGINE!!!! OH NO!!!!

I picked up on his panic and got a bit excited myself...…….Poured the oil down the timing/flywheel sighting hole and it was draining out of the flywheel sump...……...OHHHH NO.....Heading out TOMORROW:dunno :scratch :dunno Started it, took it on a test ride. All was fine. Sonny felt bad enough without me pushing the knife into his broken heart any more...….."IT WILL BE FINE" ….."BMW in their engineering wisdom designed it that way so that even when OTTO did that on the Russian Front, all would be OK" ……….And it was:dance:dance :brad

Thousands and thousands of miles later on that trip and many more...…….NO DAMAGE NOR PROBLEM...……….Dont feel ignorant!!! We all do something Dumb As. some time or another.....Even MR PERFECT above...……..God bless....Dennis

Sorry, I must have missed the name calling part. True, we all screw up. My post was to also assure him he is probably ok. AND, to tell him there should be a rubber plug on that hole.

Here's an idea:

How about a new thread over in the Campfire section, titled "My Bonehead Move".

Those of us who are not afraid to admit that we screwed up can post our experiences, to the benefit (and possible amusement) of all.

It wouldn't even have to be strictly motorcycle-related (as long as it it doesn't have the Forbidden Topics), just to keep it interesting.

Back