• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

LED strip and horn wiring?

gunnert

Biker
"Tried" to install an LED strip for brake/running lights... Had used same type strip/wiring harness on '09 K1300GT. I found the wire for brake lights, and strip works fine, but, when I connect to running light, breaker pops... Any idea? Do I need something?

Also, where can I get a Can-bus connector to plug in to horn wiring harness? Want to install aftermarket horn and need a can-bus to spade connector to plug in in to 12v relay. Plan on using 4 connector relay....

Last edited:
As there was no 2009 K16, I'll assume you meant a 2009 R1200RT.

You can't directly tap the brake/tail light wiring for aux lights on the K16, as they don't supply constant 12V DC, large amp power to the tail; the bike's electronics will sense an over-current demand and trip off-line.

In order to get brake/tail/turn signal functions for my K16's trailer, I needed to install an Electrical Connection isolator. This device takes the tiny signals on the bike's wires to turn on/off a separate source of 12V power to feed to the trailer lights. Alternatively, a Skene LED controller can perform the same isolation function, as well as add a conspicutity flicker to the LED strip.

On the horn, there is no "CAN-Bus connector." Your dealer can sell you a "repair connector" which corresponds to the connector on the stock horn to plug directly into the bike's original horn harness connector. The repair connector has two wire pigtails, which you can use to control the aftermarket horns' relay.

Merk, thanks for the information. I was referring to my other bike, an '09 GT. The '12s wiring must have changed, I was able to draw power before straignt from the brake/running light...

Merk, thanks for the information. I was referring to my other bike, an '09 GT. The '12s wiring must have changed, I was able to draw power before straignt from the brake/running light...
Yep, it did -- the K13's have virtually nothing in common with the K16's electrical distribution system. The K16 has a pulsed signal on those lines -- welcome to the digital age! ;)

Back