• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need Tire Advice For An F650GS

eosnut

I have a 2007 F650GS that picked up a nail in the rear tire the other day. So now it's time to change it. This will be the first time I've put new rubber on this bike as it's only got around 2500 miles on it.

So I'd like to see what someone who has other tires recommends. It currently has the stock Bridgestone Trailwing 152 on it. I currently do about 90% street / 10% dirt with the dirt being fire roads, so nothing too loose.

Thanks in advance
Rod

Remove tire.

Replace Tube

If the hole is large - put patch on inside of tire.

Re-install tire with new tube.

Remove tire.

Replace Tube

If the hole is large - put patch on inside of tire.

Re-install tire with new tube.

This may sound stupid, but, is there a tube? The nail is still in the tire and it's holding air just fine. I thought it was tubeless, which I admit doesn't make sense on a spoked rim, because it's not losing air. If it has a tube then I guess the repair is shortened to...

1) Remove nail

Rod

Unless the spokes extend outward to the edge of the rim beyond the edge of the tire like on the R1100/1150 GS bikes it will have a tube. I am pretty sure BMW didn't use the tubeless/spoked design on any 650s.

So the nail probably has not penetrated the tire. At least it hasn't punctured the tube - or so it seems to me.

Thanks for the help.

Unless the spokes extend outward to the edge of the rim beyond the edge of the tire like on the R1100/1150 GS bikes it will have a tube. I am pretty sure BMW didn't use the tubeless/spoked design on any 650s.

So the nail probably has not penetrated the tire. At least it hasn't punctured the tube - or so it seems to me.

They don't. So I'll pull the nail in the morning. And if it does go flat, well, it needed to come off the bike anyway. Thanks for your help.

Rod

+1 on Paul's advice. You don't need a new tire, maybe not even a new tube. Pull the nail and see what happens.

OTOH, any excuse to lose those Bridgestones is a good one. :laugh

A LOT of people really love Michelin Anakees on that bike, myself included. Perfect tire for your mix of on/off road riding. I've used several of both Anakees, it's predecessor the T-66, and the acknowledged king of "off-road" Dual-Sport tires, the Conti TKC-80 and IMO, the Anakees properly deflated do just as well as TeeK's in most off-road conditions.

Back