• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Delaware Water Gap?

ted

Dum vivimus vivamus
Hi Folks,

Heading to the RA Rally tomorrow from DC and taking the long way :) I have two routes in mind, one from Bloomsburg (want to stop and see the '11 rally site) up to Wellsboro where I would stay at one of my favorite places, the Penn-Wells. From there, over to the Catskills to Rt. 22 north to the rally site. The other is to head east to Shroudsburg (stay overnight somewhere) and come up to Liberty at the foot of the Catskills where I would join up with the Wellsboro route.

Big question in ... is the Delaware Water Gap and surrounding area worth the ride? I am a big fan of old towns and old roads with interesting things to see - but not traffic, invasion of big-box stores, etc.

Any advice greatly appreciated, I hope to leave 5am tomorrow and be at the rally site Wednesday evening.

Route 1:
http://tinyurl.com/2d5amvv

Route 2:
http://tinyurl.com/2bfo3tu

Ted

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies - I just called the Penn-Wells and for the first time in it must be 10 times now I have stayed there, they are completely booked tomorrow night. Guess it makes the decision easier :)

Looks like I will grab a discount book at a rest stop and stay at one of the chain hotels near Stroudsburg (those discount books are awesome, often 40% or more off!)

Ted

Ted, even tho they are booked, you may still want to consider that route. There are plenty of other mom and pop motels in the area. While 209 and Delaware Water Gap can be a nice ride, it's also getting congested. My family used to have a place outside of Marshalls Creek. I was saddened when we came through the area a month ago only to find big box stores, tourist traps, and a century old general store that's been turned in to a biker bar.

Between Marshall's Creek and Milford is still nice, mostly park road. My last trip through was in April and traffic was extremely light on a weekday morning.

North of Milford, forget it. You're better off on I-84.

If you want a great view of the Catskills, from Hancock NY, instead of taking 17 down to Liberty and up 47 (great road, don't get me wrong) take 30 at East Branch up and around the Pepacton Reservoir to Margaretville, from there take 28 to Phoenicia.

FYI: see Statdawgs reply to my thread in ride reports and an included GPS route/personal comments on the Delaware Gap. :wave

Catskills Lodging

Hey Ted - The Swiss Chalet (not the chain one) in Tannersville NY was great. If you go be sure to eat in their restaurant - authentic bavarian chow, so good! Safe trip.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions folks! It really is one of my favorite areas of the east coast.

Years ago when I was beemerless I made the trip up in my bimmer and found this awesome road in the space between Renovo and Wellsboro:

e30_grandcanyonofpa_400_3.jpg
e30_grandcanyonofpa_400_4.jpg

I think it is 414 but I am not sure - if I recall correctly there is a rail beside it for a bit. Sure would like to find it again, was a neat road.

Anyone recognize it?

Back