• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

My Ownership and Mods Thread - 2019 BMW F 850 GS Adventure

wachuko

In the tradition of other threads where I document the changes... Here it goes:

Details on the bike: 2019 BMW F 850 GS Adventure
Purchased date: July 18, 2019
Miles on odometer: 10
Color: Lupin Blue Metallic
Options:
  • Rally Style paint scheme
  • Premium Package
  • HP Sport Silencer
  • Anti Thef Alarm System
  • Aluminum Side Cases with all locks matched to key
  • Liner Bags for Aluminum Side Cases
  • Comfort Seat (I think, need to check the build sheet to confirm)
  • Navigation VI
  • Taller windscreen (should be here this week)

Photo the day I bought it:

IMG_9606.jpg

IMG_9607.jpg

After picking it up and riding it home:

attachment.php

Testing loading the tent, chair, sleeping bag, mat... Amazed at how compact things can be had now... in that photo you can see a 2-person tent, sleeping bag, floor protector, floor pad, stakes, pillow, and one chair!! All off that in those two bags and at under 14lbs. So the side cases are left for clothes and food...and I still have one weatherproof duffel bag that I can use in the back...

attachment.php

Also ordered this today to protect the headlight, SW-MOTECH Headlight Guard:

f750.850-2.jpg

Very nice :clap

OM

Thank you!

Got this cheap phone mount to test... could not find photos of what others are doing in these bikes to mount their phones... and now thinking about it, with the integration to the displays, there might not be a need to have it mounted...

IMG_0126.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

Just thinking out-loud... ..maybe a better alternative is to have it inside a tank bag...

I keep looking at the bike and there is really not much needed to be done with this bike... I made soooo many modifications to previous bikes. Part of the fun, for me, was doing those... I just do not see needing to do any of that with this one...

Protection for the headlight is done (arriving tomorrow)

I did order this... not sure if it will fit due to suspension components , but if it does, it will allow me to move the tool kit, air compressor, tire plug kit, and a few other tools in there for better access...

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Compressor.jpg
FirstAid.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
Plugkit.jpg

The other thing that I saw was handle straps for holding stuff on top of the side panniers and making it easier to carry those when removing... will get a set of those. I know that the liners have straps that you use to hold those down on top of the pannier, but no handles. Figured these would be more practical.

Pannier handle.jpg

I added the Givi tool box to mine. I had to fabricate my own mount for it as they do not yet offer a ready made one for the 850 and the universal one did not look like it would be ideal. Its a bit smaller than the TT one, but fits all the tire repair needs.

IMG_20190719_135958.jpg

I added the Givi tool box to mine. I had to fabricate my own mount for it as they do not yet offer a ready made one for the 850 and the universal one did not look like it would be ideal. Its a bit smaller than the TT one, but fits all the tire repair needs.

Excellent! Thank you for the idea on the mount!! :thumb I will report back once I get the one I ordered.

I just want to take those tools out of the pannier... seldom used (I hope :) ) and if needed, I do not want to go fishing inside the bags if they are full.

Also, I suspect that headlight guard will not fit your GSA. I got the AltRider guard for mine based on their listing showing it fit. Once I got it I found it would not as the screw location and signal light location is not the same as the base GS. I contacted them and they confirmmed they had found the same and have updated their listing and said for me to return it. I've yet to find a guard that fits. BMW does show one in their accessory line, so I may have to go with that or run without and risk it until someone does make one for the GSA. I am also toying with the idea of making new brackets for the one I have before I return it.

Also, I suspect that headlight guard will not fit your GSA. I got the AltRider guard for mine based on their listing showing it fit. Once I got it I found it would not as the screw location and signal light location is not the same as the base GS. I contacted them and they confirmmed they had found the same and have updated their listing and said for me to return it. I've yet to find a guard that fits. BMW does show one in their accessory line, so I may have to go with that or run without and risk it until someone does make one for the GSA. I am also toying with the idea of making new brackets for the one I have before I return it.

Oh wow... did not think about differences on the headlight mount due to GS vs. GSA :banghead

I am always drinking lots of water... so I had to look for a way to have a water bottle handy. Before looking to buy something new, looked in my used parts bin and found a cup holder from one of the touring Harleys that I had...

It is out of the way when riding (tested getting on the bike and sitting), easy access, and on the opposite side of the extreme heat. I think this will work well. The only change that I am doing is flipping the mount upside down since it will lower it another inch. Fine as it is, but will lower it anyway...

IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_0129.JPG

To Wachuko. What brand is your toolbox behind your left saddlebag mount? Also where are you located? COOL BIKE.

To Wachuko. What brand is your toolbox behind your left saddlebag mount? Also where are you located? COOL BIKE.

Eugene, I updated my location... thank you for calling that out. Orlando, FL

Toolbox was ordered and should be here in about a week... ordered from eBay. Keep in mind that I do not know if it will fit without modification to the mounts. Will find out and share as soon as it gets here.

Here is the link to it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pcs-Stai...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Looking for a few other accessories I came across this:

I wanted a better/centralized location for the phone. This will work great and will avoid me having to fabricate (idea from another forum) something... Link to eBay - the link is to one that only comes with the thin cross-pipe mount, if you ask them they will send you the 22mm as well.

s-l1600.jpg

Also ordered a kickstand base enlarger.. read somewhere that these were great for avoiding the kickstand digging into dirt... inexpensive enough to give it a try. Available in several colors... Link

s-l4001.jpg

s-l400.jpg

You are correct... arrived and it does not fit as a straight bolt-on... I am going to see if I can make it fit with a few modifications.... Will report back when done or if I break it :laugh

I worked on my AltRider one today and have a bracket design prototyped and templated. I'll pick up a piece of stainless steel sheet to fabricate them from tomorrow. Also going to redo the tool box mount in stainless rather than the piece of scrap aluminum checker plate I used.

I worked on my AltRider one today and have a bracket design prototyped and templated. I'll pick up a piece of stainless steel sheet to fabricate them from tomorrow. Also going to redo the tool box mount in stainless rather than the piece of scrap aluminum checker plate I used.

Even a smooth aluminum plate will work, lighter than the equivalent sheet in stainless. Guessing that you are doing it for it to look better, because that one looks like it works fine. If that is the case, I agree, a smooth plate would look better since there is nothing with that surface texture anywhere else in the bike.

As to my headlight protector. Here is an update - Now installed!

I had to modify the turn signal mount to cut a notch the thickness of the bracket. That meant also cutting the brass spacer inside in it.

IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0130.JPG

On the bracket, for the front side bolt, I had to elongate the hole for it to align with the spacer/hole. It also requires longer M5 bolts. It comes with M5x30, had to use M5x40 to reach the nut inside.

IMG_0135.JPG

Now installed:

IMG_0139.JPGIMG_0141.JPGIMG_0142.JPG

I was going to order the USB dual port that is installed in the factory location... Touratech Dual USB Power Outlet

Until I saw the price... I just could not do it, simply because I have a new generic USB power port just sitting in the garage. As much as I like that factory look from the Touratech unit, I went ahead and installed what I had. Maybe down the road I will get that Touratech accessory... for now this will do.

Removed the cover on top of the tank and ran the wires via the side of the tank.

IMG_0146.JPG
IMG_0147.JPG
IMG_0148.JPG

Oh, and I did not share photos after I flipped the bottle holder bracket... that lowered the holder 1"

IMG_0150.JPG
IMG_0151.JPG

I do not have use for the passenger footpegs... debating if I should remove them or keep them in the remote situation where I need to carry someone... thinking outloud again :) ...

On last thing, and do not laugh... this is my first bike this tall with a center stand... and for the life of me, I could not get the bike on the stand. When I had both of my Harley touring bikes I installed a center stand, and they were a breeze to get on the stand... this one, I had a heck of a time trying to get it on it... and I am no light weight... Well, found a video and quickly learned that weight has nothing to do with it... it is using the correct technique. Many videos but this one did the trick for me:

The only thing that I do not do from what is mentioned in that video is having the kickstand deployed when getting it off the center stand... I was told that was not a good practice because, if you are not paying attention at where your foot is, you can land the stand on it...

Went out this morning and the first stop was the dealer since the locks for the bags came in... my old bike was there parked outside...I wished the wife would have not made it such a big deal of adding a second bike... I had to trade it in to get the BMW...

IMG_9639.jpg

That Triumph Thruxton R is a bike that I already regret letting go... sucks because I know that in two years I will be looking to buying one again... just need to get rid of stuff in the garage before I can do so. It was not worth the fight with the wife to keep it now... you know the saying, happy wife, happy life and all that.

Anyway, back to the GS...

All four locks for the panniers installed (the locks for securing the panniers to the mounts were installed the day I bought the bike, they were just short 4). So back to the ride... I just got back from putting 180 miles on the bike (140 miles non-stop). Some observations:

• Love riding so high :dance
  • Riding position is very comfortable!
  • Grips are too thin... wish these were a bit ticker... I wonder if these can be changed without issues with the heater
  • Suspension in Road setting is soft and bouncy. Dynamic tighten things up. Better and firmer ride. Like that I can switch between the two while riding. I am not tall (5'7" and shrinking) so I switch to Road before coming to a stop to get that additional reach from the lower (Road) setting. I would tippy toe if I forget to do so...
  • Road imperfections do nothing to the quality of the ride. This bike soaks up bad roads like it was nothing.
  • Crosswinds do not disturb this bike like any of the ones I had before. This is great!
  • I have to be careful with speed... was not paying attention to the speedometer and when I looked down I was going over 90mph
  • Jury is still out on the comfort of the stock seat for long trips... 140 miles without stopping was not bad at all... so maybe it will be fine for my trip... not sure, still need to see if tomorrow I can do 200 miles without stopping to see how my butt feels... I could still benefit from a lower seat setup... but, at least for now, does not look like this is a modification that I have to make right away.
  • Since these are break-in miles, I was varying the speed often... the first 100 miles anywhere from 45 to 70 mph and on this ride just now, I took it through some back roads that have long stretches and have no traffic. I was riding anywhere from 55 to 90++ mph. Heat to my body does not seem to be an issue... I can feel some heat on the lower right leg, more like next to my right foot... that is it. Any of the Harleys I had would cook my right leg and nut...
  • I keep looking at it and keep coming back to the fact that there is very little that I need to do to this bike to take it on trips. Good lighting-checked; Bags (panniers) - checked; Extra fuel (with a 6.1 gal tank) - checked!
  • Location of the water thermos was perfect. Easy and fast reach while at a stop light to get a drink. Removing the pannier requires that I take out the thermos and slightly rotate the cup holder (it pivots, so easy to do)... outside of that, all good.
  • Can't fault the small windshield... it deflects the air over my helmet extremely well. Still want the larger windshield for the trip. There was a delay on the order and that should be here next week. Since this is the taller version from BMW, it still might not be what I need... will know for sure once I have it installed. I have been searching the forum for what others have done. Just in case I need a taller one. Would love to keep the side deflectors and get one that mounts to the stock bolt locations if I ended up going aftermarket.

Now I realized that I completely forgot to look at the tank bags... will do so during the next ride tomorrow. There is a Cycle Gear store a few miles away...

That is all for now. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!

I added the grip covers onto mine right away. I've used them for years to improve the size of the gips for my large hands. I even had a spare set on hand to use.

For a tank bag I went with an SW Motech bag with the lock ring on the filler as I wanted to avoid straps and the paint scuffing. I chose the Daypack as I don't need a large bag and don't like it getting in my way. It's large enough to toss in the cell phone and a few other small items.

Back