• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1985 K100RS coolant filler cap

littledog

I recently posted inquiring as to a problem with coolant overflowing out of the recovery tank on my bike. PGlaves recommended replacing the coolant filler cap. I ordered a new cap and two gaskets as shown in my Clymer manual and also on a BMW parts microfiche. The problem I have is that the cap is different than the one on my bike, although it does screw on OK. I can't figure out where the gaskets go. My old cap had no gaskets(maybe that was part of the problem?). The larger gasket fits down inside the cap, although it is a loose fit, but I can't figure out where the smaller gasket goes. It does match up with the smaller part of the cap that goes down inside the filler neck, but I don' know how to secure it to the end. Is it secured with silicone or some other adhesive? Anyone with experience with this problem? Thanks in advance for any help.

If your new cap is part# 17 11 1 464 720, it should come with the gaskets already installed.

:dance:dance:dance

That is the same part number, but the cap came without gaskets. I also ordered part #17 11 1460 759 and 17 11 1460316 as per Bobs BMW microfiche. Like I said, the larger one fit inside the cap and does stay in, although it rattles around when the cap is off. the smaller gasket seems to match up with the end of the part of the cap that goes down inside the filler neck, but is not attached.

Lee, I feel really dumb. After replying to your answer, I went back out to my shop to look at the part numbers on the bags I received and upon closer inspection of the new cap, I can see that the gaskets ARE installed in it. My apologies for not looking closer, but thanks for the help. I guess I have a couple of spare gaskets if I ever need them.

Back